The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2000, 10:20 PM   #1
Onslaught

I posted this on "Shotguns" a couple of days ago, and got no technical responses to my question... maybe you folks can help?

I am a leftie. I own a Winchester Defender. I am not comfortable with the safety being activated from the left side. I want to switch it to be DE-activated from the left side. I understand this can be done on a Remington. Can it be done on my Winchester?

If not, I may sell it and buy a Mossburg 500 Pursuader, because of the safety position.

Thanks for your time, and experience.
Old November 2, 2000, 07:42 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Onslaught, I've never tried this on a Winchester but just looking at an exploded view I would think that you could just reverse the switch. If not you might contact Winchester and see if they sell a lefty safety for it. George
Old November 2, 2000, 11:15 AM   #3
Onslaught

Great... Thanks George!

amended -

Just to put the subject officially to rest... I have just determined that you canNOT switch the safety on a Winchester Defender Got lucky and got all the parts back in too

One end of the hammer spring extends into the hole where the safety button goes to hold it into place. The Safety has a small cut-out for that spring on the proper side. Now, someone could MAKE a leftie safety, but I kinda doubt it.

Oh well... now I'll just have to ponder learning to live with it, or selling it for a Mossberg. 1.5" longer barrel, 1 more round.

Thanks again George!

[This message has been edited by Onslaught (edited November 02, 2000).]
Old November 3, 2000, 10:42 PM   #4
Badger Arms

The Ithaca and Remington are reversible I believe. Remington also has a lefty version that Ithaca doesn't need (bottom ejection).