The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
mrappe

Pietta 58 Remy in regular length vs 5 1/2"

I have had 1 of the regular length barrel ones for many years and I like it a lot. I have already made 2 holsters for them last year because I was going to switch over to using them for my CAS guns (from .45 Colt and smokeless powder). Since Cabelas has them on sale and i am runing out of large pistol primers I am going to buy another but haven't decided which length to get. i was wondering how the 5 1/2" compares to the 8". The one that I have now shoots pretty much to the point of aim with 3 grns FFF Goex at 15 Yrds.

thank you,
Mike

Old January 26, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Bishop Creek

Nice slim jim holster! I have both barrel lengths. I find the the longer barrel to be a bit more accurate but the 5 1/2" barrel; feels like a Colt .45 Frontier style pistol in my hands. For CAS I think it would work quite well.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Dr Killdeer

I have a Pietta with the 5 1/2 inch barrel and it's dead nuts from 7 yards to 15 yards and everything in between with 30 grains of Pyrodex.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4
mrappe

Thank you for the replies. I am still undecided as to which one to get
Old January 27, 2013, 08:44 PM   #5
deerslayer303

I have both, but when I'm out and about around the farm the Sheriff is on my hip. It more balanced to me. The Regular length '58 feels nose heavy to me. BUT it will reach on out there and touch someone or SOME THINGS
Old January 27, 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Bishop Creek

I might add that the only thing I don't like about the 5 1/2 barrel Remington is that you cannot remove the cylindar pin completely making cleaning the pin and channel a little more difficult than on the longer barreled model. Not that big of a deal, just thought I'd mention it.