The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
pnac

Heliooooh Kitty!

I saw another article about this yesterday and thought it had to be a joke! Guess not! Just shows how stupid things have gotten. Evil "terrist"! Amazing! This even beats the kid getting suspended for pointing his finger and saying "bang", IMHO.

Quote:
Pennsylvania girl, 5, suspended for threatening to shoot girl with pink toy gun that blows soapy bubbles
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19...#ixzz2ISdyrJoi

Quote:
A 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl who told another girl she was going to shoot her with a pink Hello Kitty toy gun that blows soapy bubbles has been suspended from kindergarten.
Her family has hired an attorney to fight the punishment, which initially was 10 days for issuing a 'terroristic threat.' But her punishment was reduced to two days after her mother met with school officials and had the incident dropped to 'threatening to harm another student,' which apparently carries a lesser punishment.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 19, 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

Now, if she would have had a twinkie bomb strapped to her body I could see justification.

I guess no more playing "army" at recess then, either.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
horatioo

If the school board was voted out because of stuff like this, things would change. I bet most voters dont know who their school board members are. I dont.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Kimio

A comment made was this when I showed my outrage on another board.

"You do realize what has been going on in this country right?

These shootings are going to have an effect somewhere, especially in a grade school.

You might as well get over it, as this attitude is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Im a gun owner, and these violent crimes have still irked me. Something needs to change.....

They are establishing the fact that guns in school are NOT ok at an early age. At this point this doesnt bother me one bit...."

The punishment doesn't fit the crime IMO. This knee jerk reaction is only hurting the poor kid and this will now show up on her permanent record. This is just stupid, it's already well established that you're not allowed to bring weapons to schools, so doing something like this at a young age accomplishes what exactly? Nothing!

Proper parenting and guidance is needed not a suspension for something as harmless as this.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
JWT

Sadly this is the kind of politically correct thinking going on in our schools. Kids are punished for something as goofy as this and then of course they grow up, in all likely hood, to dislike everything about guns. And we all know how much serious damage a squirt gun can do....my goodness.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:32 PM   #6
TripHlx

If any member of a school took my daughter aside and interrogated her about making 'Terroristic' threats, especially without me or my wife present, I guarantee I would do everything in my power to ensure they never teach or have authority over children again in my state.

I don't think I've ever heard of anything more ridiculous. Poor child must have been scared half to death.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:37 PM   #7
TXAZ

The term "Terrorism" is becoming a joke, but unfortunately the charges are pretty stiff. Did you know there are more than 100 official definitions of "Terrorism", and even US Department of Justice and the FBI, don't agree on the definition? Which, as you might expect, doesn't agree with DoD or with most other countries definitions....

If a Hello Kitty bubble gun is now a device of terrorism, the entire country needs to start take prescription strength tranquilizers.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 19, 2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Kimio

So apparently I'm biased when talking about firearms. I honestly cannot see the justification for going to such extremes.

If she was a repeat offender and was asked not to do such things over and over again, and the parents were asked to encourage her not to do such things, then fine.

While I still don't agree with them singling her out just because of comments like that, at least then perhaps the punishment would fit the crime.

Seriously, this is ridiculous, no wonder there are so many people who are siding with the anti'
Old January 19, 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
scrubcedar

How's this for how things have changed. When I was in third grade I was a "mountain man" for Halloween. To make the outfit more real Grandpa provided me with several pelts, as well as, wait for it, what I am now sure was Great Grandpa's 30-40 Krag that he had from the Philippine campaign!
It wasn't completely period correct, but looked very impressive. I remember Grandpa removing the bolt, making it completely safe. Can you imagine the reaction today? Swat teams? Helicopters?
I remember the Principal congratulating me on my costume and shaking my hand! It may even have won an award if I remember right(lets not discuss how long ago this was). The stupid thing was dangerous I admit, I remember how heavy it was for my pipe-stem arms, I could have dropped it on someones foot and broken a toe!
Old January 19, 2013, 07:02 PM   #10
sirdiealot

hell i remember in 6th 7th and 8th grade the day after christmas break there was usually between 6 to 10 guns in school....and i mean in the school room. boys bringing in there christmas present guns. it was no big deal and the principal was the hunter education teacher and he would come in look at every gun tell us a few things about them or just say how nice they was.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:05 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thank Gawd she wasn't wearing a Kalashnikitty T-shirt.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Microgunner

String her up. That'll teach her. (tongue in cheek)
Old January 19, 2013, 07:46 PM   #13
egor20

Quote:
Thank Gawd she wasn't wearing a Kalashnikitty T-shirt.
Thats what I thought the thread was going to be about at first.

I was reading a comment on another forum about this and one member stated Growing up, that on the first day of deer season dozens of kids would have their rifles in their trucks.

Our first day of deer season at my school was more or less a Holiday because over 50% of the students never showed up.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 19, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
pnac

Quote:
String her up. That'll teach her. (tongue in cheek)
LOL! "Ignorance of the law is no excuse!"
Old January 20, 2013, 03:20 PM   #15
pnac

More on the "Hello Kitty" terrorist, along with photo of the offending "weapon". This gets more insane as we learn more about what happened. I recommend the school "officials" take a psychological evaluation, there is something seriously wrong with these folks! I hope the parents sue, lawyers ought to be lined up around the block.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html

Quote:
The kindergartner was ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation during her 10-day suspension, which was later reduced to two days. The evaluation deemed the girl normal and not a threat to others, Ficker said.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:35 PM   #16
scrubcedar

Now see, the yahoo article makes it all understandable.
She had access to an " automatic bubble blower." She had a full auto bubble blower at home!
String up her parents! Launch a full Congressional investigation! We need more and stronger bubble blower laws! If we can save just one child from a soap like substance it will be worth it! I don't understand why we haven't set aside billions to have prevented this sort of tragedy already.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:05 PM   #17
pnac

Quote:
Now see, the yahoo article makes it all understandable.
She had access to an " automatic bubble blower." She had a full auto bubble blower at home!
I stand corrected, I didn't notice that the bubble blower in question was full auto!
That changes things, she could have wiped out her whole class in mere seconds! Doesn't Hello Kitty™ realize how dangerous this killing machine is!

My anger was misdirected, I should blame the Hello Kitty™ Bubble Blower aka Assault Bubble Blower.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:22 PM   #18
JWT

Will this serious offense prevent her from buying guns later in her life, of even voting? Probably should. No one knows what might have been in those bubbles. Bullying and terrorism at it's worse. Incarceration is the only answer.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:27 PM   #19
P1090

Did you folks see that bubble mix container? That's detachable and capable of several hundred bubbles. We're going to have to limit the soapy water to 10 bubbles per container. Why would she need more than 10 bubbles? Like scrubcedar said: if it would save one person from a soapy bubble popping in their eye...

Last edited by P1090; January 20, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:50 PM   #20
olddav

SHE'S FIVE !!!!!!
Old January 20, 2013, 09:31 PM   #21
pnac

Quote:
SHE'S FIVE !!!!!!
That's right, she was underage and couldn't have bought it legally. It has got to be stolen. This gets worse all the time!

At least she obeyed the "Gun Free Zone" sign ,,, or would have if she was old enough to read.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:55 PM   #22
Alabama Shooter

Due to the upcoming ban sales have been crazy at the Hello Kitty stores around the world:

Soapy bubbles are becoming near impossible to obtain.