The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 17, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1
jal5

Need help identifying 2 BP rifles

I inherited these 2 bp rifles: one a Kentucky long rifle type with round barrel marked made in Belgium, the other a octagonal barrelled percussion cap type I think with the barrel marked as SPAIN, JUKAR black powder only. My uncle made these from kits in the early 80's and was very precise n cabinet, grandfather clock, desk making. Any ideas for identification would be helpful. I plan to either take them to a gunsmith or a friend who is very knowledgable about bp rifles to verify if they are in shootable condition. To my knowledge he never shot either of them just displayed them. I will post pictures later to help id them. Thanks.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:26 AM   #2
hickstick_10

remove the barrel and unscrew the breech plug, and the touch hole liner if there is one, inspect the fit of these to parts to there mating threads (must be very close and tight) and if its good shoot it.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:02 AM   #3
PetahW

[My uncle made these from kits in the early 80's]
[Any ideas for identification would be helpful.
]

AFAIK, you're not going to be able to "ID" either of those kit guns.

Between the late-60's through the mid-80's, there were several discount import sources of blackpowder rifle & handgun "kits", and also just plain different parts available.

The "parts', like barrels, locks, etc, weren't all made by one source, and were almost always inexpensive imports made by various suppliers from Spain or Belgium - unless the home rifle builder was flush, and could afford the higher quality locks (like Siler's) from dedicated suppliers like Pettaconica (sp?) River, etc.

Today, Dixie Gun Works supplies parts to make a muzzleloader, on pretty much the same theme/idea.

Old December 18, 2009, 10:35 AM   #4
jal5

some pics

here are a few pics of these rifles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2390 (Medium).JPG (63.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg longrifles (Medium).JPG (48.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2389 (Medium).JPG (57.1 KB, 46 views)
Old December 19, 2009, 12:22 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Easy. They are __________ rifles. (Fill in the name of your uncle.)

He made the rifles, the origin of the kits probably can never be known, but the maker of the kits made kits; your uncle made the rifles.

Jim
Old December 19, 2009, 08:20 AM   #6
jal5

Jim I think that is the best reply of them all!

My gunsmith should be able to evaluate the condition and tell me if they are safe to shoot so that is all I am really concerned about.

Will give a range report once I get that far with this project.

joe
Old December 20, 2009, 01:16 PM   #7
jal5

Well I learned that the longer rifle is an African Trade Musket, smoothbore and a member on GBO has the exact same gun. I also found on the lock, the part that holds the flint, the initials= GT or CT, not sure what that means yet.
Any ideas?

Also any descriptions anyone can give me for takedown procedures to clean the barrel and lock would be appreciated. Barrel looks like it had a good coating of grease at one time, some small surface rusting on the outside.

Rough estimage of the bore using my digital caliper= .537-.545 so I guess I will have to slug it for an accurate bore size.

Joe