The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 6, 2002, 09:56 AM   #1
TacticalReload

Chrono and weapons check at IDPA?

I was recently in the market for a Glock 34 or 35. I figured that I would go with the 35 and get a aftermarket barrel to shoot 9mm... that way, I could compete and practice with a much cheaper and lighter recoiling round. But then I decided that perhaps I should ask IDPA how they felt about swapping a factory barrel for an aftermarket one in a different caliber (basically making my 35 into a 34).

Well, they gave me a firm "NO" to the switch... which I thought was kind of silly. So I figured I would just get the 34 instead (which is what I did -- love it, btw!).

In any case, a friend of mine brought up a good point -- neither of us has every attended a match where they would even notice this barrel swap. That got me thinking even more. I've never been to a match where they chronographed ammo and pulled bullets to check power factor. I've never been to a match where they have handled and safety checked my gun. In fact, I've only ever been to one match where they even dropped guns into the "box" to check size.

Now I know that for the most part, we're all honest people and reasonably try to stay within the rules. But I was curious to see if people have gone to matches where the officially actually chrono ammo. Do they do this at state and national matches? Any of your local matches?
Old February 6, 2002, 10:16 AM   #2
Jim Watson

At the 2001 IDPA Nationals we chronographed our ammo at a station set up next to one of the match stages. As best I recall, at previous Nationals and some State championships, they pulled samples and chronoed the winners' ammo.

I have seen chronographs set up at local shoots, but more as a convenience for shooters to check their ammo for upcoming major matches, than as a test for eligibility at the club.

I have not seen a Box test as such, but every once in a while you will see a stage in which the starting position is with the gun in the Box; so it accomplishes a size test during the match. This turns up often enough to keep folks honest.

I have never had my gun handled or safety checked, I have never had my brand of holster checked against the Hackathorn List. Most all State, Regional, and National matches will do a concealment and holster/ammo placement check. The Nationals do it at *every* stage.

So you could probably have gotten away with a 9mm barrel in a .40 frame if you had chosen to fake it. But then you would not have been shooting a *stock* gun in SSP, would you?
Old February 6, 2002, 10:42 AM   #3
stick

I'm just getting into IDPA matches. Let me offer some observations from USPSA and NRA matches: the local level is casual with respect issues you mentioned. Unless it's painfully obvious (optics on a production gun, major ammo that goes "puff" not "boom",...) it's not an issue. I expect to have my gear and ammo checked during major matches (regional, sectional, state or national).

I follow the rules to the best of my ability at a match. If my gun has a mod that restricts me from a division, I'll shot open. I expect the others on the line to do the same. If somebody continues to CHEAT (and win) after being warned, the clubs and shooters I have experience with would un-invite the rat to future events.
Old February 6, 2002, 11:27 AM   #4
KP95DAO

I liked the way they did the ammo check at the 2001 Nationals as opposed to the way it was done in 2000. In 2000 they had YOU select the chrono ammo and fired it out of another gun. Last year you shot what you still had in the gun after finishing the Standards stages.

By the way, at the 2001 Nationals one of the BIG name shooters concealment gear did not conceal his gun as it should. It was not long enough. Of course maybe he forgot his and had to borrow someone elses and he is a big man. Anyway, was there any sense in saying anything about it; no. He could have been wearing a trenchcoat and beat 99% of the rest of us. Then again, the rules are the rules.
Old February 8, 2002, 02:47 PM   #5
Ricky T

"By the way, at the 2001 Nationals one of the BIG name shooters concealment gear did not conceal his gun as it should. It was not long enough. Of course maybe he forgot his and had to borrow someone elses and he is a big man. Anyway, was there any sense in saying anything about it; no. He could have been wearing a trenchcoat and beat 99% of the rest of us. Then again, the rules are the rules."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg people.jpg (45.0 KB, 100 views)
Old February 10, 2002, 01:16 AM   #6
KP95DAO

So, I wasn't the only one who noticed.
Old February 10, 2002, 10:19 AM   #7
TacticalReload

Hmmmm... a BIG name shooter named Rob.... hmmmm... I wonder who that could be. ;-)

But seriously, I agree with you on both counts. There is no reason to believe that 99% of us could beat him regardless, but rules *are* rules.
Old February 10, 2002, 09:24 PM   #8
9x45

Tac, you are only hurting yourself by shooting an aftermarket 9mm in a G35. The 40S&W extractor will not consitently grab the smaller 9mm round. Actually, for IDPA, all you need is a 9mm in either ESP or SSP. What advantage do you gain by anything more than a 125,000 power floor?