The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old August 12, 2014, 12:30 AM   #1
bamaranger

mini 14 demise

Due to the proliferation of the AR and its many makes, models and affordability, how much longer will Ruger continue to keep the Mini on life support?

A new one is priced over what an entry AR costs. They have always been bashed for accuracy. And the wood/blue steel models are not trendy tacti-cool.

I like'em, always have, but "new" Ruger is cutting models from the line regularly.
Yeah, I know, Ruger "re-did" the Mini a few years back.....but it seems to me the writing is on the wall. Bamaranger predicts life expectancy.....5 yrs.

What say you..............?
Old August 12, 2014, 01:01 AM   #2
Mosin-Marauder

I had a whole paragraph typed up about why the Mini would stay popular, but I fear I would get swarmed by the overwhelming amount of AR-Lovers. Oh well.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 12, 2014, 01:01 AM   #3
idek

I wonder if Ruger wouldn't have been wise to rename or alter the name of the Mini-14 after revisions were made to increase accuracy. As far as I know, they might shoot very well, but I, for one, still have the old stigma in my head that they aren't very accurate and have vertical stringing issues.

It seems to me that the Minis best chance of survival will be with their traditional wood stocks, which might appeal to a different audience. I just don't see the newer "tactical" Mini-14s with their short barrels and pistol grips stacking up against ARs for long.

One potential benefit of the Mini is that it weighs 1 to 1.5 pounds less than a typical AR-15, which could make it a handier carry gun. But I don't really think of .223 guns as being used for drive-hunting or for long walks in the woods or fields, so that may be a non-factor to most people.

Quote:
I had a whole paragraph typed up about why the Mini would stay popular, but I fear I would get swarmed by the overwhelming amount of AR-Lovers. Oh well.
C'mon! If people can't express differing ideas, there's not much point in having forums.

Last edited by idek; August 12, 2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:48 AM   #4
N R A

The mini is politically more correct. I would think it has a strong market.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:04 AM   #5
bamaranger

true

There are certainly folks that think that way. (PC) And if the pistol grip, bayonet lug rules get going again, the mini may have a new future

But the mini has a limited following in such things as 3 gun, and you will never see it on the ATC or F/TR class firing line.

When you could get one for $185.oo or less, and AR's were a rarity, Mini's were everywhere. No so today.

Great truck rifle, and there have been many sold..again, I like'em for assorted reasons. But I think the end is near.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Never be afraid to go against the tide. Just because you think the majority of people might disagree with you is no reason to not post your opinion.

"what's right is not always popular, and what's popular is not always right."

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old August 12, 2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Ibmikey

I have a 16" Tactical Mini 14, it shoots well enough to hit cans at 100 yds, it is fun to shoot and has traditional styling. It is not a AR which out performs it in every category, no Mini bashing just fact..... count the number of each manufactured (and their accessories). For the answer.
The Mini has improved through the years but so has the AR, buy which ever pleases you.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:00 AM   #8
9x19

Given current prices, I'd take the Mini 30 Tactical over an AK variant. When the AK was $189 (and SKS was $89) they were a fun gun, but really, $600- $700 for an AK?

Old August 12, 2014, 08:30 AM   #9
jmr40

I've had 4-5 different Mini's over the years in both 223 and 7.62X39. For my money I wouldn't have another at current prices. Possibly the Mini-30. Good point about it vs an AK.

For me the Mini's biggest detraction is that it is over priced. Years ago I could buy 2-4 Mini's for what an AR cost. Even with the Ruger's negatives that price difference made the decision for lots of shooters. While I like the Mini well enough, I'm not paying more for one than an AR.

Quote:
The mini is politically more correct. I would think it has a strong market.
This used to be a huge advantage for the Ruger, but the AR has in recent years become just as PC as the Mini in most places. The acceptance of the AR by the general public is probably the main thing hurting the Mini now.

I think there are still places where the AR is less accepted, and enough folks who just like the Mini better to keep it around, at least for a while longer. But production numbers are probably going to be down drastically.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:03 AM   #10
Technosavant

I think it will always have a niche market. In those places where an AR is not going to be readily accepted, the Mini can do the same job nearly as well while being less "scary" to those conditioned to see the AR as a tool of destruction.

It also serves as a reasonably priced alternative to the AR family... if you don't want an AR, the Mini is one of the few alternatives at a similar price point. Rifles like the SCAR or ACR cost quite a bit more. With 5, 10, or 20 round magazines, a Mini is perfectly acceptable for hunting, self defense, and recreational shooting. While it costs more than the low end ARs, I probably would take one over those low end ARs. Sure, it may not be quite as accurate, but honestly, most shooters have a hard time holding things under 5MOA themselves anyway. And that accuracy is probably acceptable for most purposes.

I have a lot of respect for the Mini. No, it's not an AR. But for what it is- a nice handling and reliable rifle with usable accuracy- it's perfectly serviceable.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:46 AM   #11
g.willikers

Unless there's a national political backlash against all semi-autos, the Mini should have a good market in places where the EBRs are heavily controlled or banned.
Probably not for many years, yet, if ever.
Old August 12, 2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I'd say tales of the Mini's demise are greatly exaggerated

Locally--whenever a batch of Mini's shows up, they are sold out quite quickly and we can own anything we want in this State

Sure they don't sell like AR's but there's only one company making them too.

I'm in the market for a stainless Tactical Mini right now, but own AR's also

Keep in mind current Mini's come with scope rings--TWO magazines---a pic rail and are drilled and tapped for the rail---and a redesigned stronger firing pin
-------Metallica

Last edited by Omaha-BeenGlockin; August 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:56 PM   #13
5.56RifleGuy

It would be nice if someone made quality magazines for minis that weren't so expensive. $10 to 15 dollar mags would probably help sales.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:07 PM   #14
Dragline45

If they started making them in .308 I would be all over them, since I feel the AR is a superior platform for the 5.56 to the mini 14 I have no desire to own one.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Technosavant

I don't think mag prices for the Mini are that big a deal.

Nobody seems to care about prices for pistol magazines and many of those make the Mini magazines look cheap. A decent 20rd mag for a Mini 14 looks to be at $28 from CDNN right now... that's a little more than double the price of an AR-15 magazine at way more the double the quality of a regular GI style STANAG.

The people buying Minis aren't stockpiling magazines by the dozen. AR users need to because the mags themselves are more consumable. If you're just buying a rifle for some hunting, target shooting, and possible defense, you're talking maybe a half dozen mags that will last as long as the gun. They aren't going to split along the spine from normal use like a GI mag will.

It just seems to me that people who compare Mini mag prices to AR mag prices not only haven't considered what other magazines for other firearms can cost, nor have they considered the quality differential.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:11 PM   #16
tobnpr

Do you have facts/sales figures to back up your statement that the Mini is on "life support"- or is this pure conjecture on your part?

Just a couple of nights ago I was watching a show on one of the California prisons- a recent one- and guess what the corrections officers in the tower were carrying?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 12, 2014, 02:18 PM   #17
marine6680

Yeah quality mags at lower prices would help... I would be more inclined anyway.

Price is a little high as well... At 5-600 I would think sales would do better. Lower price and cheaper mags combined would work together nicely.

I do remember reading a while back that the mini 14s were very popular with native tribes in Alaska. Used for hunting seals and other animals that played a big role in their culture and diet.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:22 PM   #18
g.willikers

I paid more for an extra mag for an airsoft pistol that what the Minis mags sell for.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:23 PM   #19
AK103K

I had a couple of Mini's back in the mid 80's, and they were OK, but accuracy wasnt the greatest, and I often thought the sights added to that. I never understood why they didnt copy the M1/M14's sights while they were at it.

At the time, someone did make a replacement click adjustable rear that was similar, but wasnt around long. The old, large and thick front sight blade was also a problem, but there were at least options there, for what little good they did.

Their stocks were also somewhat cheap and cheesy, and Ruger always seemed to favor that style for some reason. Something else they could have done better on.

I did like the AC 5.56 version folder though, and thought it was pretty well made and thought out. But even there, the butt stock still came up short.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:21 PM   #20
winchester1917

As more and more states (and probably someday the federal gov't) target the AR-style rifles, isn't it kinda inevitable that mini's will still be in at least moderate demand for a long time. Although, I do agree, they are priced rather high...
Old August 12, 2014, 03:29 PM   #21
Stukaman

Make the damn thing accept Pmags and watch me go buy 2
Old August 12, 2014, 04:18 PM   #22
weldonjr2001

I'm sure Ruger is anxiously awaiting the results of this post.

I've got two Minis. I like the non-tactical look. Never had the slightest interest in having an AR of any flavor.

Guess I'm typical of Ruger's target audience.

My two have never had a malfunction of any type with Ruger magazines. I did have some feeding problems when I tried a Brand X 20 rounder once.

My Minis are for 100 yard problems, past that it's my Tikka's job.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:38 PM   #23
Grant D

I like my mini 30 also, it does everything I need for that type of rifle.
And I would rather have three expensive mags that work, than six cheap ones that don't. I learned that the hard way.
Never have gotten into the AR thing, oh, I think they're cool, just not for me.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:06 PM   #24
Tinner666

Quote:
If they started making them in .308 I would be all over them, since I feel the AR is a superior platform for the 5.56 to the mini 14 I have no desire to own one.
I waited for one for years, then when the Ranch came out with the AK round, I said THWI and bought a miniSS which I still have. Fun gun.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:09 PM   #25
AK103K

Wasnt there supposed to be a .308 version of the Mini at one point? Seems I remember seeing a write up on it.
Closed Thread