The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 30, 2013, 08:01 AM   #1
simonrichter

Do new features actually make people switch back to revolvers?

I the recent years, we saw a lot of interesting new features on wheelguns: High cap cylinders (up to 10 shots in 22lr now, 8rd .357 Mags etc.), polymer frames, built-in lasers, .410 shotshell chamberings etc.

Do you think these features are going to help revolvers kind of measure up with the semis, with people actually switching back from semi to revolver? Or are these just nice add-ons for guns that will anyway get more and more niche products?
Old July 30, 2013, 08:26 AM   #2
2000ShadowACE

I doubt it will make much difference. If someone wants the hi capacity, they will still go with the 9s. Some of them are compatible with 30 round mags. The shotshell revolvers have almost filled their niche. and the eight shot 357s are pretty bulky for any kind of concealed carry other than in a large purse. I think you will see more revolvers chambered in traditional semi-auto calibers such as the 9mm and .380 as that niche seems to be growing still. A real boon would come from a quick change cylinder to make reloads even faster. I know I would be in line for a 45LC with several pop in cylinders.
Old July 30, 2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Leejack

Revolvers are a big part of our heritage and have a charm that will never go away.
Old July 30, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
skoro

I've purchased nearly all of my revolvers used to avoid the "New and not-so-improved" features for the most part.
Old July 30, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
newfrontier45

I doubt it. People usually have their minds made up about such things.

Quote:
up to 10 shots in 22lr now
Actually we're up to 12 shots in .22LR.
Old July 30, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
22-rimfire

I think revolvers will continue to have a steady following for many years to come. Most people wouldn't choose one as their only weapon if they went to war, but for most or many uses, they are great.

The increased chamber capacity is a selling point, especially to younger people starting to get into revolvers. It also separates current production from what was produced prior to 1990. If the extra holes didn't sell, neither S&W or Ruger would be building them. The higher capacity cylinders seems to be something that the smaller manufacturers rely on.

Lasers...sure. But I doubt that would tilt a buyer toward a revolver if they were seriously looking at a bottom feeder.
Old July 30, 2013, 09:42 AM   #7
simonrichter

Quote:
Actually we're up to 12 shots in .22LR.
Hear ye - which model is that?

Since hardly any sporting semi, even if full-sized, stacks more than 10 rds in a mag, that would be a USP indeed. Generally, revolvers have some extra advantaged as far as rimfires are concerned...
Old July 30, 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
sheepman

The new revolver designs will draw some interest from the SA. There will always those who like the revolver either because of nostalgia or just because it is better suited to our needs.

I shoot revolvers and autos and choose which one based on what I am doing. Both have their strong and week points (already discussed many times on the gun boards). Because of my life stile either one would serve me well for the rest of my life, but like having both.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:52 AM   #9
rclark

Back to revolvers????? I never left. Who wants a semi-auto?? (kidding, tongue in check ) ... That said, no, new features don't do it for me. On the other hand, for example, Ruger offered the medium frame SA flattops in .44Spec and .45 Colt ... That I jump(ed) on. Lasers, pink, green, stupid safeties, thumb rests, etc... Nope... No appeal.

USFA used to make a 12 shot .22 SA sized revolver. Not exactly a 'six-shooter' so don't know if it had much appeal.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 30, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:59 AM   #10
newfrontier45

Quote:
There was the USFA 12/22 and now Uberti has their own 12-shot .22LR full-sized SAA.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:00 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
There was the USFA 12/22 and now Uberti has their own 12-shot .22LR full-sized SAA
That's unfortunate. I've never been impressed with Uberti's revolvers, and USFA went belly-up.

Quote:
I the recent years, we saw a lot of interesting new features on wheelguns: High cap cylinders (up to 10 shots in 22lr now, 8rd .357 Mags etc.), polymer frames, built-in lasers, .410 shotshell chamberings etc.
The same basic evolution has been happening with every type of handgun, since man started launching projectiles out of rifled barrels: more capacity, the latest sights, flexible chamberings, the latest materials, etc.

Revolvers are just a different type of handgun. If you like revolvers, you like revolvers - adding a polymer frame and a laser isn't going to sway some one from the Glock with a laser that's next to it, if they like semi-autos.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:32 AM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If I had my way, it would be a Smith N-Frame in .22.

Although the basic idea remains the same, we've seen a few significant changes in our lifetime. The frame construction and trigger assembly on the new Ruger LCR are a definite leap forward.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:28 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new and improved revolver as those new features do not appeal to me at all. If I want high capacity, I'll use a semi auto.

I think part of the appeal of a revolver is that it is a design that more or less hasn't really changed in a hundred years and its a design that just works.

Some will like the new and improved features and I can't blame the makers for adding them to attempt to boost sales and I'm sure to an extent it works.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:58 AM   #14
DennisE

Are semi autos still in production? I thought all shooters today used revolvers! Dennis
Old July 31, 2013, 07:36 AM   #15
seeker_two

IMHO, the biggest advantage revolvers currently have over semiautos is that they don't need expensive, hard-to-find magazines to keep them running. That often appeals to the new gun buyer.....
Old July 31, 2013, 11:09 AM   #16
Budda

My answer is own lots of both. I am revolver heavy though. 4 revolvers and 2 autos.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Bill Akins

I have both semi autos and revolvers. As another poster mentioned, each has their place according to what use you want to make of them.

I don't know about people with semi-autos switching "back" to revolvers. Perhaps they never "left" and had/have both. But one thing no one has mentioned is the very important advantages a revolver has over a semi-auto.

Sure the semi has high capacity, but studies show that most domestic gunfights are over with just a few rounds being expended. So in that case you don't really need hi capacity and its heavier weight due to more cartridges.

The number one advantage a double action revolver has over a semi is if your first round is a dud, you don't have to rack the slide to manually eject it and chamber another round before you can fire again. With a double action revolver if you have a dud, you just instantaneously squeeze the trigger again to index to the next round. In my opinion that's the revolver's main advantage over the semi-auto and that alone could be a life saver.

Another advantage of a revolver over a semi-auto, is for ladies and some men, particularly elderly people with limited strength in their hands, that have a hard time retracting the slide of a semi-auto. And for those people who don't really shoot nor train at all, but just bought a revolver for home protection.

For them they are not physically able nor trained to instantaneously rack the slide to clear a jam, and or to remember to thumb off the safety. Imagine an elderly grandmother in her mid seventies with limited and weak hand strength, trying to train to competently handle and operate the hammerless glock in a crisis situation. Ain't gonna happen in most cases. But she can easily learn to load and simply point that snubby .38 revolver at the home intruder and squeeze the trigger without much training at all and without any trouble in most cases.

With a semi-auto you don't want to keep your mags loaded max all the time because of causing mag springs to weaken. No such concerns with keeping a revolver cylinder loaded all the time.

With a double action revolver there is no safety to disengage, and all you have to do is point it and pull the trigger.

Also with a striker fired, hammerless semi-auto, such as the glock, it isn't as readily obvious that it may be chambered and cocked as it is with a double action revolver, where if the hammer ain't back, it ain't cocked. That's a nice measure of safety to consider for someone who isn't trained, not interested in training, may have limited hand strength, but still wants a handgun for protection.

If any semi-auto shooters are "changing back" to revolvers, perhaps it's because they have had a few duds in their semi's and realize the time it takes to rack the slide and clear the jam could get them killed, so they get a double action revolver and eliminate that problem.

The semi-autos have their place, especially in war and for those who have the strength and proper training so without thinking it becomes automatic and instantaneous for them and their trained muscle memory to operate them, but the double action revolver will always be with us for all the above reasons I described. I love em both, but for all the above reasons I have to say that in my opinion, the double action revolver is the best handgun for domestic self defense.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Sharpsdressed Man

No, but some old features would make me buy S&W's again. Milled parts, no key/internal lock, long trigger actions, smooth as glass actions on K and N frames. Maybe some fixed sighted revolvers that are DEAD ON.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:27 PM   #19
newfrontier45

Quote:
No, but some old features would make me buy S&W's again. Milled parts, no key/internal lock, long trigger actions, smooth as glass actions on K and N frames. Maybe some fixed sighted revolvers that are DEAD ON.
Exactly!

Quote:
With a semi-auto you don't want to keep your mags loaded max all the time because of causing mag springs to weaken.
This is pure myth. Cycling is what weakens springs.
Old July 31, 2013, 01:37 PM   #20
Sevens

I have a pipe dream that Chiappa will go belly up (not a stretch, that part) and that the rights to the basic layout of the Rhino will be sold off and purchased by either Smith & Wesson or Ruger, who will sit down and redesign the guts in to something that absolutely works.

The layout of a revolver that shoots from the bottom of the cylinder rather than the top is a fantastic idea, I'd just like to see it produced by someone that can pull it off... oh so much better.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:26 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

I kind of get the feeling that you're thinking "high capacity" is the drawing card? It may be for some but revolvers are still my favorite handgun and in fact, I much prefer "vintage" revolvers. I could give a rip if a revolver holds five or ten. In fact, my CCW revolver only holds five. That's makes me feel plenty comfortable - it's about shot placement, not the capability of a high number of rounds.

I have semi-autos and they are fine - not knocking 'em. I've always shot SA and am used to 5 to 6 rounds - so tha't plenty - at least for me. Given the choice between a good used six shooter and a new 10 shooter - I'll take the six shooter every time - as long as if functions and shoots well.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 31, 2013, 03:48 PM   #22
oldgunsmith

It's a free country. You don't have to choose between one or the other. You can have both.
Old July 31, 2013, 03:53 PM   #23
camsdaddy

I think the more they "improve" revolvers the further they push me away. If Im gonna carry plastic with a light I will stick to my Glock.
Old July 31, 2013, 04:15 PM   #24
Alnamvet68

While my collection of pre-lock, pre MIM J frames are over a dozen by now, I will have to say that today's better metallurgy, precise metal molding, closer tolerances, and the "magnum" frame makes for a superior revolver. Comparing my re-issue Classic Model 40 in blue steel and the Classic Model 42 Airweight with pristine examples in my collection, there is no question in my mind that today's production methods are vastly superior to yesterday's.

That said, I've never left revolvers...I have many Colt 1911's, a Beretta, a few Walther's (my PPS being my favorite winter EDC), a couple of Glocks, et al, but a day has never gone by without a S&W J frame sitting comfortably and unobtrusively in either a pants pocket, coat pocket, or shirt pocket of one of my 5.11 shirts; there really is no substitute.
Old July 31, 2013, 10:15 PM   #25
Cosmodragoon

That is certainly part of it. The availability of higher-capacity revolvers such as 7 and 8-shot .357s have met with two other important market conditions. The first may be increased awareness of revolver safety and reliability, which is helped by web resources such as this one. The second and more definite is the unjust passage of magazine restrictions in many parts of the country.

Right now, the woeful residents of NY are "legally" limited to 7 rounds per magazine. While extra magazines are an option, many New Yorkers have woken up to the wheel gun in response. At equal or greater numbers, .38s and .357s become very attractive and the small-caliber fans can win out with 8 to 10 in rimfire.

It's a perfect storm for the revolver and however terrible this cause, the increased demand can help drive innovation and variety for the rest of us.