The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 11, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

National Geographic Channel show on deadly cape buffalo vs. hunter attacks

It was interesting....talked about unprovoked attacks due to apparent natural instinct to view white-skinned men as predators (developed from centuries of euro /american hunters) and thus attack them as they do lions. Dark-skinned people = viewed as mostly harmonious co-existing species....

Anyone else see it? Can't remember the exact name of it, so can't find direct link to it here:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/programs/
Old January 12, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2
BrianBM

I saw it, and thought the piece was intriguing. The idea that they are smart enough to distinguish the skin color and behaviors of hunters in the field from the local Masai, and to apply to the hunters the aggressive defense they've learned against lions, seems quite plausible to me.

The skull comparison between the Cape Buffalo and cattle - I'd like to have known what breed of cattle - was interesting. I wonder if N. American bison had similar responses, before they were so reduced? Did other wild cattle?

Big thick heads ... if ever there was a skull that said Use Enough Gun to the viewer .... yikes.

The more we learn about animal intelligence, the smarter they look.
Old January 13, 2007, 01:49 AM   #3
banditt007

time for some face paint and gloves
Old January 13, 2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd bet it's more the behavior of hunters, rather than skin color. After all, it's commonly a mixed group, considering scouts or guides and the bearers.

You can see the difference in deer behavior on a ranch. When the ranch hands are just working, the deer pay little heed beyond normal alertness. When people are moving around in unusual (to the deer) places, the deer are more spooky.

So, I'd bet the buffalo have figured out that the daily native behavior is not particularly inimical, but a small group playing sneaky snake is a Bad Thing and should be stomped on.

Art