The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 6, 2004, 04:24 AM   #1
Chiram2003

P90 strange trend

I have noticed through a recent Google search that there is a strange trend going on with the P90 and similar weapons. When I was taught to shoot the P90 (by whom shall remain a question for the ages), I was taught to shoot it from the center of the chest. There is even a special vest made for the P90/Bullpup SMGs that holds the buttpad into a groove to help the shooter keep it in place. Just wondering if anyone besides me has seen these guns shot in this format.
Old December 6, 2004, 04:32 AM   #2
leadbutt

Not the P90, but have seen the D.C.capital PD shoot their mp-5's that way
Old December 6, 2004, 07:35 AM   #3
Jake 98c/11b

Never saw a vest like you described but I have seen several subguns and carbines fired that way. It is especially useful if you are wearing a protective mask since you can't get a decent cheekweld in most promasks.
Old December 6, 2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Chiram2003

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. I was taught to shoot the weapon by a SWAT instructor. *shrugs* I'll see if I can get a picture of the vest. I guess this position also works better with holographic sights and not an ACOG.
Old December 9, 2004, 12:49 PM   #5
CQBArms

That's a tactic and a magazine vest, the "groove" is the zipper for the vest, it holds 4 magazines for the p90 side by side.

The gun was made for sholder fire, center of the chest is to accomdate equipement loads and an after the fact modification of the use of the weapon system.

The weapon site is set up for left or right shooters, not "center line" shooting...the problme comes about when you have your radid, flash bangs, magazines, protective mask etc and so on. The two "options" are center line shooting or "gangsta" style at almost 90 degrees to the floor.

Lastly how you slice the pie and how you move from cover to cover will play greatly into the method by which you center the firearm.

Another example would be the MP7, if not shoulder fired it would be fired from the senter line like a "handgun".
Old December 9, 2004, 01:56 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I haven't noticed a trend but I was taught that as an option for shooting SMGs. The idea is to keep the gun centerline with the body and aim by pointing one's body towards the target. It works.
Old December 24, 2004, 02:13 PM   #7
TheSpoGun

Allow me to submit some food for thought: The reason you square your body up to the target in CQB (The kind of fighting involving subguns) is cause that's where your armor is the toughest (i.e., the ballistic plates in the vest)... And you'd rather get hit there than in your side, where your armor is weakest. I'm guessing that has alot to do with why you'd use that center chest hold.... probably to stop most people from angling their bodies toward the target once the shooting begins. I can't claim to have alot of experience with P90's, but, it seems to me to be the most logical answer....
As a sidenote, those Holosights are also pretty darned impressive... and I wasn't an easy convert. However, I've seen people hit their mark all the way out to 200+ yards with EOTech's on M4's, and put those rounds on target somewhat more quickly than with Iron sights.
Ok, that's my 2 cents. Stay safe, all!
Old January 29, 2005, 01:51 AM   #8
futureforcewarrior22

When I was trained on the P90, I was taught to shoulder the weapon, sight down through the optic with one eye while keeping the other focused on the target, aim for the center of mass and squeeze off a round or rounds plural.