The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 19, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Sniper 51

South Eastern Coyote Hunters

Not sure this is the right location but here goes. I live in S.C. and am thinking about getting into coyote hunting. I have a couple of .30 cal rifles but have thought about getting a more fur friendly dedicated rifle for coyotes.
Then I got to thinking, are the coyote furs in S.C. even worth saving or are most of them mangy due to the hot weather down here. Any comments from any south eastern hunters would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Sniper 51

Also, what would you estimate your average shot distance has been while coyote hunting here in the southeast?
Thanks
Old March 19, 2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Mobuck

I can't imagine the fur will be of much value in that part of the country. Even midwest coyote fur is heavily discounted compared to "western" fur. I'd be more concerned about just killing them to save some fawns and turkey poults.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Sniper 51

Thanks for the response. Any other south eastern hunters out there with any decent furs or are they all trash.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:09 PM   #5
jburrl90

Not sure about the fur part. I'm in NH there's some nice fur on some. But the last few have had some mange. I love hunting coyote I use all 22 caliber stuff. 22 hornet, 223, 225, 22-250.I load them all with light v-max bullets and hollow points. I very rarely have a hole or a pass through. I think the 223 is a hard round to beat for coyote and have taken most of mine with one. It causes little damage on the outside but wrecks there insides. The 22 hornet is kinda light I've found if your past 100 yards. On the ten I've shot since February only two were messed up and they were shot with the 22-250 with 55 grain soft points.

I've heard the 204 ruger is awesome on coyotes and am looking into getting a barrel for my contender. I'd imagine it'd make pinholes on the way in and just fragment once through the skin.

I bait and call them and would say my average shot is 150 yards. But I've shot em as close as 25/30 yards and as far as 300+ yards. But most common just over 100 to 150 yards. My only reason to get rid of em is cause there's tons too many. And not so many rabbits and partridge and Turkey as there used to be. Plus its tons of fun!

Good luck and kill em all.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:56 AM   #6
jehu

22-250 or 243 Ballistic Tips.
Old March 22, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Here in Texas the furthest shot I have made on one was about 260 yards, closest was about 55. Average has been about 125 yards, but I don't have a vast expanse of land to shoot at.

Your average shot distance is not so much determined by what part of the country you are in, but what type of land you are hunting on. If there is some brush and trees around, you will have closer shots. If you are out in an open field, be ready to take shots over 200 yards.