The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 2, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Once Fired

My wife has finally made the plunge

Hi all

So my wife has finally arrived to gun owner club. Well, to put it more precisely, we each now have our own.

My wife agreed to buy a shotgun about 6-9 months ago, while we were still in California. We bought a 12ga for the home, with the idea that just racking it would be nearly as good of a deterrent as the gun itself. Since we were living in our motorhome at the time, so it would have been clearly audible anywhere including outside the vehicle. We weren't in the greatest of neighborhoods. And knowing we would be traveling in the RV periodically, it was also a safety net that we'd always have with us.

She preferred that point of view at the time, and as long as I was there (99% of the time) this would be sufficient. I had learned to shoot long guns as a kid, and had gone shooting many times, and was very comfortable with it. I even sold guns for a couple years while working in a sporting goods retail chain. However, the shotgun was the first one either of us had owned. And my wife really didn't want much to do with it - just having it was enough.

She has now come to the decision she wants her own firearm for personal safety. Nothing happened per se to make the decision occur - just an evolution of her own thinking moved her forward. She can handle the shotgun, but not particularly well since it is pretty heavy for her.

So, as a result we purchased pistols this week. After 16+ years of not wanting guns (even those incredibly well secured) anywhere nearby to the point of getting highly upset, she has come a long, long way. She has progressed past the mutual "we know there's a shotgun in the closet if needed."

She now has her very own sidearm, and has bequeathed upon me a nearly free license to obtain whatever I believe we need. Just don't break the bank kind of thing. We bought:
  • Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm for me
  • KAHR CW9 9mm for her

Interestingly, she really liked the feel of the Beretta, too. With the customizable grip sizes, she might actually be able to use it well, too.

We're set to hit the local range this weekend for an informal class with a few friends, including long time shooting enthusiasts bringing their own arsenals all the way through to other wives who are brand new to shooting and do not yet have a gun themselves. I love how ironic it is that my wife will be one of those who already owns her pistol.

We're covering safety first, of course. Learning the mechanics and functions of the whole firearm, simulated load/unload using snap caps, as well as practice live shooting. It sounds like my wife already wants to shoot my pistol, too.

But, here's the REAL kicker. She is intent upon getting her CHL. We are both applying this weekend, and pursuing classes as soon as we can. She's made quite the transformation compared to years past, and I am unimagineably thrilled with the results.

So, for all the folks who have yet to convince your spouse or significant other to own firearms, use my story as proof that there is always, always hope. Be patient and you'll get there. Trying to force it won't work. I'm not saying not to talk about it - but don't be a battering ram.

Let me tell you, it is going to be downright awesome to see her write her check to the NRA.

I'll report back after our trip to the range.

ZAG

p.s. We're especially interested in hearing feedback from owners on these two pistols, too.

We purchased them primarily based on fit & feel, along with the features we wanted. We bought at McBride's here in Austin, TX - based on a recommendation from this forum. We are very happy with the service & assistance we got at the store. Personal props to David - the guy knows his stuff big time, and was invaluable in the process. I would recommend both the store and David in a heartbeat.
Texas Security Guard Jobs
Old May 3, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
magnum777

First I want to say you made a good choice with the Beretta PX4 storm, I purchased this gun(also in 9mm) a few weeks ago. It not only looks and feels great, it shoots excellent groups and is easy to break down and clean. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the Kahr.
I would also like to say, my wife being pretty neutral on the gun issue during most of our marriage. In the last couple of years decided see wants to go hunting with me(I brought her a rifle), has joined the NRA and now wants her first handgun.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
TheNocturnus

Congrats on the new guns. My wife is slowly coming around as well. I still can't get her to go to the range with me but she said the other day that she wants her own gun.

She wants a pink gun. I'm not sure if she just wants it because it is "cute" or she actually intends to use it at the range and *fingers crossed* a carry piece.
She also said that it is low on the priority list so there's that too.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old May 3, 2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Martowski

I own a PX4 Storm in 9mm. It's a solid pistol and currently is one of my two loaded "house guns."
Old May 3, 2012, 11:13 PM   #5
MagnumWill

M wife has also come a long way. At first, she wouldn't even go near my rifle. Now she carries daily and has a special fondness for 12ga slugs and my Mosin sniper rifle
Old May 4, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Lucky you. My wife will willing go to the range with me, but won't carry. I'm fine with it as I consider it a very personal choice and am actually happy she is willing to admit she isn't ready.

Quote:
We bought a 12ga for the home, with the idea that just racking it would be nearly as good of a deterrent as the gun itself.
I kind of wish this thought would go away. You're talking about someone who broke into a home, possibly with the knowledge that someone was in the house. This is not a rational person to begin with. The idea that they would then behave rationally is a bit of a stretch.

My personal opinion, and one of the reasons my wife doesn't carry, is that you should never carry or brandish a weapon if you aren't willing to use it, because then you might find it taken and used against you.

Quote:
She can handle the shotgun, but not particularly well since it is pretty heavy for her.
I always think a 20 ga shotgun is a great option for women of smaller stature. It's no peashooter by any means and will certainly get the job done. Might be something to think of in the future.

It sounds like you and your wife are on a good track and I congratulate you. I see a lot of couples where one loves shooting and the other thinks it's the devil. I never understood that. To me it's so much a part of my personality I couldn't be with someone that hates shooting. That you and your wife are on the same page is a great thing.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 4, 2012, 12:15 PM   #7
TheRaskalKing

Congrats on the new guns, that's always reason to celebrate.

+1 to the 20 GA idea. My grandma was a small lady but loved to shoot 410 and 20 GA.

Let us know how you like the new guns. I've never been a huge CW9 fan but those who shoot them often seem to really like them.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8
tekarra

Good for her. Wish my wife would take her dafety nore seriously,
Old May 4, 2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

I'm very recently single..so fml in that aspect I guess. Gotta find me a girl who actually wants to learn and get into it. Good luck to me -___-

Anyways, congrats brother. I have myself a PX4 in 9mm as well. Amazing gun
Old May 4, 2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Erikbal

Congrats on the new guns, and getting your wife into it! That's awesome! I would love to find a girl that shared my interest in guns. My mom has never been a fan of guns but has come a long way since I got my pistol permit and went from pretty much hating guns and not even liking to be around them, to being comfortable knowing that I pretty much always have one on me and I have even gotten her to handle it a couple times. I have taught her that "guns don't kill people, people do". She even said that she might go with me shooting some time and try it out, she has never shot any gun in her entire life. I wish I could eventually convince her to get her permit and get a small pocket pistol and learn how to use it and carry it in her purse, but that's a very long shot and I doubt it'll ever happen.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:04 PM   #11
osageid

Good for you! Within a week of owning her gun, my wife obtained her ccw! Love to share range time with her! Congrats and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old May 4, 2012, 10:20 PM   #12
dave9969

just a thought
once you range test it you will likely find the Kahr has a lot more recoil than the larger pistol.
Its just the nature of the beast, it has no significant weight out front to help keep the recoil minimized
I guess what I am saying is dont be surprised when she steals YOUR gun because the Kahr is not as easy for her to handle.

You may want to consider a larger poly frame 9mm for her such as the :
Glocks
Sig Sauers
or even the Walther line
all great guns in the mid 400 dollar range most days

My wife went from NO guns to
ok house gun
to going to the range with me
to now taking the Conceal Carry class this weekend to get her permit!

there is hope, but remember this, now she is going to want YOUR TOYS and its not going to be a fair trade when she gives you the make up bag for your Glock
Old May 4, 2012, 11:34 PM   #13
rtpzwms

Congrats, my wife did the same turnaround as well. She now owns two pistols and is looking for more. She indicated to me that she may be ready to try rifles! This is going to cost me... I can't wait until she wants to try trap shooting too. We have a great time at the range together each weekend. The range just put in reactive targets and she's found even more fun. I've had to double our ammo budget, and I've cough her eyeballing a new barrel for her T/C, that would lead to a scope and so on I better get her to give this up!
Old May 5, 2012, 04:51 AM   #14
mumbo719

Quote:
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm for me
KAHR CW9 9mm for her
Great guns for the both of you. Congrats!
Old May 5, 2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Ozzieman

ZombieApocGames, Man have you just screwed up.
I was where you were about 10 years ago. Now it’s, I open my safe and my Beretta Cougar and my Beretta storm carbine are missing.
What the?
“Honey, have you been in the safe?”
“Yes why.”
“Two guns are gone.”
“Oh, yea, there setting on your bench, they need cleaning. My sister and I went out back and shot, you also need to pick up the brass before you mow.”
Old May 7, 2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Once Fired

Quote:
Lucky you. My wife will willing go to the range with me, but won't carry. I'm fine with it as I consider it a very personal choice and am actually happy she is willing to admit she isn't ready.

Quote:
We bought a 12ga for the home, with the idea that just racking it would be nearly as good of a deterrent as the gun itself.

I kind of wish this thought would go away. You're talking about someone who broke into a home, possibly with the knowledge that someone was in the house. This is not a rational person to begin with. The idea that they would then behave rationally is a bit of a stretch.

My personal opinion, and one of the reasons my wife doesn't carry, is that you should never carry or brandish a weapon if you aren't willing to use it, because then you might find it taken and used against you.
I hear you on this TunnelRat, but that was her perspective. The responsibility to use the gun properly fell to me, not her. As long as someone shouldered that responsibility, the problem was solved. The issue would come into play if I was not there, of course. And over time she realized that.

Quote:
Quote:
She can handle the shotgun, but not particularly well since it is pretty heavy for her.

I always think a 20 ga shotgun is a great option for women of smaller stature. It's no peashooter by any means and will certainly get the job done. Might be something to think of in the future.
She's about 5'8" at 130lbs, and athletic. But she just doesn't have the upper body strength to use it without it being clumsy. We bought it with the intention that of course I would be welcome to use it, although technically it was hers.

Quote:
It sounds like you and your wife are on a good track and I congratulate you. I see a lot of couples where one loves shooting and the other thinks it's the devil. I never understood that. To me it's so much a part of my personality I couldn't be with someone that hates shooting. That you and your wife are on the same page is a great thing.
I am loving her newly found perspective, to be sure. Interestingly, over time she has come to adopt many of my political views as well. Win-win.
Old May 7, 2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Once Fired

Thanks for the congrats

Hey all

Thanks for the congrats. It's been a long time coming, and we're not all the way there QUITE yet. My wife decided at the last minute (morning of) that she wasn't going to hit the range for the informal class we had going. The A/C had died that night, and we both got bupkis for sleep. That made her super nervous, and demotivated to boot, so she begged off on that trip. But at least I can understand why, and agreed I didn't want her showing up to her first class groggy and irritated.

So, we're still moving toward getting her shooting at the range, but she has most definitely committed to doing so.

Since the A/C got fixed today, that's one thing that won't be a spoiler next time around.

ZAG
Old May 7, 2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Once Fired

My PX4 Storm 9mm

By the way - this gun is awesome. Very easy to handle & shoot.

Shot about 90 or so rounds in the class. About 80 hit the paper plates we used. That was at about 25-30 feet, with the rest peppered around it. I was just happy I got to learn how to use the pistol to the point that I am comfortable with it. The accuracy & consistency was just a bit of a bonus. It made me feel good that I was doing considerably bit better than I expected, and actually even better than the gang of more experienced shooters did. Beginners luck or no, or even a credit to the gun itself, I absolutely enjoyed it.

Now I need to practice regularly.

I've even field stripped it and cleaned it too, which officially makes it more than I have done with any other pistol. My step dad always took care of cleaning his guns, so I didn't experience that until this weekend. hahahahah

ZAG
Old May 7, 2012, 08:52 PM   #19
Once Fired

Can you tell I'm excited?

Like a kid in a candy store. Can't wait to go to the range again.

I fully expect that once truly introduced to shooting, my wife will react the exact same way and love it. She's very competitive and enjoys achieving difficult goals.

And, she has already said she likes the feel of the Beretta. So, whether or not she likes the CW9, I absolutely anticipate that I'll be picking up more firearms in the near future. We just have to figure out what. hahahahah

ZAG

Tags
9mm , beretta , kahr , pistol , spouse