The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 11, 2013, 11:15 PM   #76
breakingcontact

Quote:
Those who voted for these politicians over some other platform share the blame, but so do gun owners who didn't bother to get involved until the horse was out of the barn.
Exactly, people need to be more active politically and "get out the vote".

Regarding moving, we all have to make our own decisions on that. The folks who started this country left countries they found oppressive did they not? Moving states would be far more simple and less disruptive than leaving whatever "old country" our ancestors came from to make a go of things in America.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:21 AM   #77
jimpeel

The facts are the facts: Violent crime follows firearms controls.

In Britain they confiscated firearms and the EU has now declared Britain to be the most violent country in the EU. SOURCE

Other examples include Mexico, Chicago, New York, D.C., et al. Violent crimes escalated after firearms controls were enacted. The overall violent crime rate went up. If firearms were the cause of violence, why did all violent crime escalate after firearms controls were enacted?

If one creates criminals from whole cloth then the number of criminals goes up. Colorado is creating criminals from their previously law abiding citizens of which I shall be one. I will not abide by these laws nor will I vote to convict anyone held to answer for any of these laws if I am a juror.

After all, how can the common man be expected to have respect for the law when those who author the laws demonstrate no respect for the Supreme Law of the Land, and the Supreme Law of the State of Colorado, from which all laws are derived?

As for magazine regulation, what good are arms without the accoutrements thereto? To bear arms is to also bear that on which they depend for their effectiveness to deter attack or tyranny.

The Second Amendment is there so that the citizenry would be able to possess the best tools to protect themselves from government should that government become a despotic and tyrannical. The question is "What do they have planned for the citizens of Colorado that they feel the need to remove from the citizens the tools necessary to protect themselves from the government should it become a despotic and tyrannical?"

Jus' sayin' ...

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 12, 2013, 11:35 PM   #78
Hiker 1

Exactly, people need to be more active politically and "get out the vote".

Indeed. I spoke to two people last week at my LGS who didn't know who their state senators were. One guy had it confused with his US senator. Oy vey.

The dems usurped the will of the people and ignored their constituents to appease their party agenda and bosses. There is no way this legislation would have passed if put to a vote.

There was also unprecedented meddling and influence from DC. The hypocrite Mark Kelly and one of the parents of a Sandy Hook child testified. Neither of those incidents have anything to do with Colorado politics. Disgusting.

As for me, I'm hanging up the hiking boots and putting on the red tie and wingtips. I'm getting into this fray!
Old March 14, 2013, 10:12 AM   #79
SamNavy

Passes both houses of the legislature:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0..._hp_ref=denver

Quote:
DENVER, March 13 (Reuters) - Both chambers of the majority Democratic Colorado legislature approved a package of four gun-control measures on Wednesday, capping months of debate in a state that has experienced two of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history.

The most controversial of the bills that are now headed to the desk of Democratic Governor John Hickenlooper is a ban on ammunition magazines with more than 15 rounds, which the governor said he will sign into law.
Still standing by for the actual language of the bills, but the Gov is expected to sign them all.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:31 PM   #80
balyon85

Re: Colorado Gun Owners - Don't Surrender!

Is it time to take back Colorado yet? Can't wait to see these idiots voted out.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:43 AM   #81
Hiker 1

^ yes, we have to get people involved. No more fence-sitting. Votes and dollars.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:47 AM   #82
iraiam

Quote:
^ yes, we have to get people involved. No more fence-sitting. Votes and dollars.
I hope it catches on, I have been frustrated for years over the politically inactive gun owners I see all the time, now many of them are scrambling about trying to buy guns and ammo in this market. I really hope they remember this.

I only owned 1 handgun for HD when the 1994 AWB went into effect, I immediately recognized that it was an incremental step toward disarming the people, or at least arming government in a far superior fashion. I have been vigilant ever since. Imagine my frustration.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; March 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old March 15, 2013, 02:47 PM   #83
Hiker 1

I hear you partner. I have run into two folks at my local gun store who didn't know who their state senators were. There was no fight in them, just an "aw shucks, let me grab a couple of mags before they get banned".

Very annoying.
Old March 17, 2013, 12:02 AM   #84
jimpeel

Here is an example of how poorly worded this legislation is. Jon Caldera, who used to be anti-firearm, made a video showing why his Glock magazines would be outlawed under the legislation.

VIDEO LINK

Here is an article on how the author of the legislation did not know how her poorly worded legislation would ban nearly every magazine in Colorado.

SOURCE

Quote:
Colorado’s magazine-limit bill further reaching than opponents imagined

Colorado Democratic Rep. Rhonda Fields, whose bill to ban ammunition magazines that hold more than 15 rounds ignited an ongoing firestorm of protest and which could cost the state jobs if a manufacturer of such equipment makes good on its promise to move to another state, didn’t realize that her bill would outlaw practically every magazine currently for sale in the state.

That’s because the bill specifies that magazines that can be “readily converted” to hold more than 15 bullets will also be outlawed.

<MORE>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 17, 2013, 06:00 PM   #85
doofus47

I hate to be that guy, but are you sure it's poorly worded?
Imagine her "surprise" when she wakes up the day after it's signed and Voila! Pretty much all magazines are banned! That would SO ruin her day...
She might even call a press conference to clarify that "Oops, pretty much all new mags over 15 are now banned..." Here's the address where you can turn them in....

Feel free to filter my jagged-edged sarcasm.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:44 PM   #86
Hogtown

just read yahoo news stating
Sheriff John Cooke of Weld County saying he will not bother enforcing the mag limit or the background checks,and he and other sheriffs are considering suing to block the measures if signed into law.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:26 AM   #87
budoboy

Hickenlooper has gone and done it. It's a sad day in Colorado.

gov-hickenlooper-signs-key-gun-control-bills

Now on to the repeal and recall petitions.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:24 PM   #88
motorhead0922

And Magpul is hitting the road. Here's their Facebook post today:

https://www.facebook.com/magpul

Quote:
With the signing of the HB 1224, we want to reassure Colorado residents, now officially in occupied territory, that the "Boulder Airlift" will continue until we can no longer legally ship to CO residents at the approach of the July 1 deadline, so long as demand continues.

We are looking at additional ways to give Coloradans the opportunity to buy the magazines they need prior to the enactment date, as although we've been swamped with tens of thousands of orders, our shipping department limitations have only allowed us to get a few hundred thousand magazines out to CO residents...a small portion of our monthly production. We'll continue to support the Airlift as long as demand exists, and up to the active date of the legislation, and we've allocated a little over a million magazines for the effort up to that point, give or take.

Customers in the rest of the country should rest assured that the airlift only takes a small portion of our production, and magazines and other products are continuing to ship to the rest of the nation. Our transition to a new home will occur in a phased and orderly a manner to allow us to continue to serve our customers during the move, as well as to allow an orderly transition for affected employees. We are actively working on those plans.
Good for you, Magpul. I feel an immediate need for a new grip from you!
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:54 PM   #89
Chaz88

I grew up in Colorado in a small town at a time when we hunted on the way to school and after school with our friends. Our firearms were in our unlocked vehicles in the school parking lot all day long and nothing bad ever happened. Maybe that was a bad situation just waiting to happen, even though it never did. But I am at a loss as to how Colorado has gone so far the other way. (that was mostly rhetorical I do not want to start a bashing of the eastward migrating people that now reside in the state, even though I enjoy doing it other places)

My question now is, what are the actual chances that the new laws in Colorado can be rolled back to what they were? I have considered moving back someday but I am less likely to now.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:11 PM   #90
Glenn E. Meyer

That will depend on the voters of the state and/or a SCOTUS challenge.

It will be awhile.