The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 06:39 PM   #26
dgludwig

One revolver (though now discontinued; internet auction sites and gun shows/pawn shops being your only remaining viable sources) that I carry in places like the Boundry Waters that you might want to consider is the s/s, Taurus Model 415; a five-shot snub-nose (2 1/2" ported barrel), chambered in .41 Magnum. This is a relatively powerful but compact sidearm that is ideally suited for "taking into the woods and not worrying about rain/snow/mud, etc."
Old January 24, 2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Texas Range Ammo

What have you shot ?

Everybody has posted some real helpful info.

I tend to agree with platform first. When shooting heavy caliber handguns, in my experience, the way your hand fits with the grips is critical. and and and,,, there are many options to change those grips.

Then there is the caliber choice. Technically, the folks that mentioned it's a waste to shoot real big heavy caliber's in short barrels are accurate,,, most, but not all, large heavy calibers need some barrel length to burn all that powder and push that monster up to it's potential. What's that mean ? it means 6" 's, or more. I don't see the logic of less than a 4" barrel with large heavy calibers. That being said, if for personal comfort, I had to choose between a short barreled heavy caliber, while in the woods,, and a short barreled lighter caliber,,,, I'd take the bigger one !

Now here is the kicker,,, it's a great set of choices to have and tweak. You can get one gun,, and change the grips a couple times,, try some different ammo, and enjoy.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:35 PM   #28
silvermane_1

there is also the SRH/Alaskan in .480 ruger to consider as well.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old January 24, 2013, 10:36 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

Well.

The .44 Mountain Gun on the left is real good and the 625 .45 ACP with .45 Supers ain't bad.

But my .454 is king. Fly in the ointment is it as LONG and HEAVY.

This I prefer a good N frame in most persuasions that start with 4 in their caliber.

Deaf
Old January 25, 2013, 10:07 AM   #30
Mystro

I'd recomend a S&W Governor. I own ALOT of handguns and I love the versatility of the Governor in and out of the woods.
Mine is a tack driver with 45lc(even by full size hunting revolver standards). It's light and gives you the option to shoot 000buck, 45acp or 4 shot for easily killing small game for survival situations. I have put down some big hogs on the farm with a Federal 000buck in the back of the head. Devastating. The 45LC isn't nearly as violent as a 44mag to shoot but still uses a big heavy bullet with good penetration. I find it a good compromise between, weight, versatility, follow up shots, and accuracy.

A little review I did....
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...or-review.html

I've carried it all day in the woods and forgot I was wearing it.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; January 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:24 PM   #31
capt Ajax

I do alot of hikling in and around the Smokies and this is what I carry:
Titanium .357 Taurus Tracker

It's really light weight for a pistol this size....even when loaded, and holds 7 rounds, and has gas vents to keep the recoil down.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:04 PM   #32
temmi

I would get either

a 45 Colt Blackhawk

or

A Ruger SuperRedhawk 480R

Snake
Old January 25, 2013, 03:49 PM   #33
Mr. Whimsy

You should get something other than a snubby.

I have a aluminum-framed .44 spl. Night Guard from Smith and Wesson that I personally carry to and fro. No bears around here though.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:52 PM   #34
rodfac

I'd guess that you'd need a .44 Magnum at the least, and in SS too. Double action would be good as getting off a 2nd shot in a determined bear attack would be paramount on my list of priorities. But good shot placement in that 1/2 second of opportunity is going to be tough with one of the really big bores: .480 or .500. For that job, I'd want a 4" barrel at a minimum...a Ruger Redhawk in that or 5" would fill the bill....

But here's another option...a heavily loaded, as in Keith level loads, in a .44 Special...tho Ruger makes a good .44 Magnum that weighs virtually the same weight...

Here's my Flat Top .44 Special in SS...pretty good for the use you describe, but not double action...a big drawback in my estimation. And you'll need a good rig to carry it too...

I can tell you from experience that packing out elk quarters at dusk in big bear country, then finding fresh paw prints can give you the willies...whether you're armed or not...in my case, my .35 Whelen was a 1/2 mile away...and that'll be the last time I pull that stunt.

Here's a little bit of eye-candy while you make your decision...Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 25, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:56 PM   #35
BigJimP

I picked up a S&W model 629 ...in a 3" - The Trail Boss...used a few yrs ago ...it's an RSR gun - and its ported ...so it makes it a little more controllable ( .44 mag ) .....

...but full power .44 mag in it, is a handful...and while I have big hands too - and a little arthritis its a beast, which I suspect you might have since you broke both hands...( and I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs )....so I can hold it down and shoot it - but it wears out my hands....( I've broken a few fingers too ) ...

My 3" 629 is on the left in this photo...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1340222605

The other 2 guns in this photo ...are a model 29-2 8 3/8" in Nickel ...and a 629 DX model, in 8 3/8" as well.../ you might consider a 4" or a 6" as well ...but I'd suggest you shoot some before you decide.
--------------
There are a lot of SA's out there...and used in .454 Casull ( Freedom Arms, etc ) that I see a lot at the gunshows...or .475 Linebaugh or even .500 Wyoming Express...but you want at least a 6" barrel in those calibers.

I have not fired one of the S&W XVR's in .460 S&W Mag...but yes, it will also shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt ...if that's what you want....

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...5_757896_image
Old January 25, 2013, 07:58 PM   #36
rodfac

That's a good piece, BigJim...and probably just the ticket for the OP. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:02 PM   #37
BigJimP

It is fun to shoot it " a little bit " - but not more than a box of full power loads.....anymore, with my arthritis....
Old January 25, 2013, 08:26 PM   #38
BIG P

Big fan of the 454,Just load it to your needs from 45Colt to OMG.Your choice & not everybody has one.7.5 SRH for Me.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:46 PM   #39
rep1954

Joyrock, one of these two Rugers might fit the bill for you, they sure have caught my eye. With the 44spl/44mag combo you can buy from lite to heavy loads or if you hand load better yet. I would prefer the plow handle grip myself.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0817.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0818.html
Old January 26, 2013, 11:33 AM   #40
buck460XVR

Quote:
I'm looking for a gun that I can take into the woods, and not worry about rain/snow/mud, etc.. I'm thinking about a revolver, something big, like a 44 magnum.

Pretty vague description of the intended usage. All I get from it is that you prefer something in stainless steel. Is it primarily for protection or hunting? If it is just for protection, protection from what? Is it a firearm that will be used for recreational shooting at the range too or just something that is carried and shot seldom? What degree of accuracy are you seeking? Do you handload so are able to customize your ammo for a variety of scenarios? You say you prefer a snubby, have your shot a big-bore snubby enough to know you are capable of a fast and accurate follow up shot? How much experience do you have shooting handguns(any handgun)? The answers to these questions are not only necessary for others to know, but for you, yourself to consider. If you know them already, odds are you wouldn't be here asking what YOU should get. Asking a generic "what gun for the woods?", will get you exactly what you have gotten. Pictures of guns with the post "here's mine, you need one just like it!".

When I go to the woods with a handgun, I make a decision of what it's intentions are. If it's a primary hunting platform, then I go with something with a long pipe with good accuracy. Handiness and pack-ability are not my primary concern. I want to reach out and touch something at a longer distance and will be using shooting sticks or some other appropriate rest. If it's just for a hike pickin' blueberrys or blackcaps, and my primary concern is two legged predators after my cell phone, then an air-weight snubby is all I take. For all around, wearing on my hip, when the largest creature in the woods is a Blackbear, a 4''-5'' in .357 or .44 is hard to beat.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:00 PM   #41
dorc-1

Mystro - That's my choice while hiking. Great gun and reliable to shoot. I keep mine loaded up with #6 shot up front for eyes/snout shot from 10' in followed by 255 hardcast to finish them off. Too much anxiety in a charge to hit a griz up close in the CNS with anything other than shot to the eyes/snout with birdshot in order to turn them.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:20 PM   #42
Bob Wright

Spacecoast said:
Quote:
Bob, with all due respect, and casting no aspersions on SA revolvers, I would much rather have a DA revolver in a stressful situation. JMHO.
Maybe YOU would, but fifty years of handling single actions has made them second nature to me. I can get off a shot quicker with my single actions, and accurately, than many folks can with double action revolvers. All depends on what you're used to.

Bob Wright
Old January 26, 2013, 04:18 PM   #43
dgludwig

Quote:
I can get off a shot quicker with my single actions, and accurately, than many folks can with double action revolvers. All depends on what you're used to.

"Many" folks might be slower but most folks, everything else being equal in terms of training and what they're "used to", will get off a shot (first and subsequent ones) faster with a double-action revolver than they ever would with a single-action revolver. However, in terms of what the op has in mind (and most other envisioned shooting scenarios for that matter) a person competent with a typical sa revolver would not be functioning at a significant disadvantadge when compared to the speed of operation offered by a typical da revolver.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:24 PM   #44
BigJimP

I shoot both single action and double action....and while I may favor one platform over the other in certain calibers.../ I think it comes down to what everyone wants to carry and shoot....and if you practice, you can shoot both pretty well.

But in general, I'm more accurate - in .357 mag or .44 mag...in a single action weapon ( and I'm reasonably quick / at least until it comes to reloads on the single action revolvers...)...and when I shoot guns of the same overall length ( like a 4" S&W model 27 or 29 in double action vs a Freedom Arms, large frame, 4 3/4" barrel in either .357 mag or .44 mag )....I'm way more accurate with the single action/ and only about 1/2 a second slower with the single action out of a holster with a double tap on target vs the other gun in DA.

But it comes down to what you like.../ and weight / and how you want to carry it...

Last edited by BigJimP; January 26, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:29 PM   #45
shootniron

All of the guns suggested will do a great job for you. However, I like easy to carry and I have found my .44mag and .45colt with 4 5/8 barrels to be perfect for carry and plenty powerful for the woods that I hunt in.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:31 PM   #46
shootniron

All of the guns suggested will do a great job for you. However, I like easy to carry and I have found my .44spec with 4 5/8 barrel to be perfect for carry and plenty powerful for the woods that I hunt in.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:12 AM   #47
Rifleman1952

I recall reading an account of a grizzly attack in Alaska from a few years ago. The shooter had a Ruger Alaskan, double action revolver in .454 casull, with ammo he hand loaded himself. The shooter was not hunting, but was walking and carrying the revolver due to recent bear sightings in the vicinity. The grizzly came out of the brush from about 20 yds and charged. The first shot missed; the next 4 hit and the sixth round had jump crimped and failed to fire. The grizzly skidded to a stop a few feet in front of the shooter. Another hiker, was a few hundred yards away, and out of view. She reported hearing shots fired so rapidly, she thought it was a burst from a machine gun. There have been a lot of different postings about this story, some more detailed than others. I can't find the original account of the story, but the link below is a pretty good one.

http://teejaw.com/2010/08/30/bear-attack-in-alaska/

Last edited by Rifleman1952; January 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:08 PM   #48
damienph

Another vote for the Ruger SBH 44 Magnum

4 5/8" stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum; easy to carry, accurate, capable of handling some pretty stout loads, if needed.

Old January 28, 2013, 01:56 PM   #49
ChasingWhitetail91

A nice .444 marlin rifle would do you good, i've only seen the single shots so if bear defense is the issue i'd disregard my comment. Bob Wright I am with you on that revolver, I like the gritty look alot better then stainless.