The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1
TheDutchman19

30-06, 125 grain load suggestions

I need 125 grain hand loads for my wife and daughter.

I was planning on using the Nosler Ballistic Tip (green tip). Also I tend to stay with Hodgdon powder when I can. I get great deals on it.

I've seen a lot of load data and have some ideas, but I would love some input from someone who has a little trial and error on that load.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Quite a number of folks on the CMP forums are using 125 grain bullets in the Garand for short range loads. The powders are the usual Garand powders, but I'd recommend H4895 in particular as you can load it down pretty far if you find you need to. Hodgdon's site has load data that starts at 48 grains, but you could load down to 38 grains (pretty wimpy, but possible to do).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 5, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3
30Cal

I shoot the TNT in my M1A (308) all the time. I just put it on the same powder and charge as I'd use for a 168 Sierra. Pretty mild load.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
rodfac

Plus 1 on 30Cal's suggestions...he's very knowledgeable on most things M1a, just don't allow him to adjust your sights before a match...

I've had excellent luck with 4064 and that same TNT 125 gr bullet....4" gp at 200 yds in a CMP Springfield M1. The following load shot well in my gun, and I'm comfortable with it. Your loading practices and guns may vary from mine, so work up accordingly.. the load was: 44.0 gr of 4064, Winchester commercial brass, and Win. Lg. Rifle primers. Cases were freshly trimmed and primer pockets cleaned. It's a good load for that Garand and several '03's that I've tried it in.

Best Regards, Rodfac...(30Cal's Dad)
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; November 5, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
crowbeaner

Try some H380, BLC2 or H414/WW760 with your 125 grainers. WW748 is what I usually load, but H380 does really well also. Check the Hodgdon #25 and #26 manuals for data.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:59 AM   #6
TheDutchman19

Thanks for the info. I have a better idea of where I'm going to start.

Until now my loading experience has been limited to pistol rounds. What is the tolerance I should watch for in regards to case length? At what point do I trim the cases?

With that said what is the tolerance for OAL? I don't know if rifle loads are the same, but when I load pistol rounds and the dies are clean, I hit the OAL dead on. Two hundred rounds later the OAL grows ever so slightly. In one of my book specific to my pistol loads it gives a under and over number. I cant find that for rifle loads.

Last edited by TheDutchman19; November 6, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Slamfire

As for powders, I have used IMR 4064 with 125’s and gotten outstanding results and over 3000 fps velocities.

If anyone recalls, the 270 Win made its reputation with 130’s, you can push 125’s and 130’s faster in a 30-06 and it is a devastating bullet on deer.

Always trim brass the first time it is fired. You can mike the length after it is sized but it is a waste of time in my opinion as first times fired brass is always over length. This is a safety critical as over length brass will pinch the bullet and blow primers. That is how I found out about this. I have a Giruard trimmer and use it to trim all my target cases each time they are fired. Takes less time than measuring, around the second or third firing I am removed a couple of thousandths as brass seems to grow less over time.

OAL makes an accuracy difference in target rifles. I have seen guys spending hours on the bench playing with bullet OAL in attempts to get ¾ MOA groups below ½ MOA.

This is a total waste of time in a hunting rifle and almost a waste of time in a hand held target rifle shooting long range. Stuff shot off bipods and rests for 1000 yard shooting, it probably makes some difference, I will have to ask my F class champion friends. I think wind call is far more important than OAL but I am not a F Class National Champ.

OAL consistency does make a difference in group size, but for a hunting rifle I think it is most important that you keep bullets away from the lands or you will extract an unfired case and the bullet will stay jammed in the throat. For hunting, and incidentally for my rapid rifle target rounds, I want 100% reliable function, so I stay with less than magazine length. I shoot cleans out to 300 yards with a hand held rifle, that is good enough for me.