The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 15, 2008, 07:48 AM   #1
jazzy45

Traditions Pursuit XLT stock overhaul

Hi folks,

just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my overhauled Traditions Pursuit XLT. I did not quite like the original crappy plastic stock and forestock - had it replaced for hardwood!

The gun aims better and holds more naturally. The extra weight is not a problem since the wooden stock acts as a counterweight against the barrel, effectively allowing for more accurate aiming.

The whole overhaul was under $90.

Regards,
Martie

Last edited by jazzy45; January 17, 2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:54 AM   #2
arcticap

Wow, nice job, and I like the cheekpiece.
Did you carve it or have a stock maker do it?
What kind of wood?

I have an early Traditions inline shotgun (that's based on the Tracker action that uses a #11 cap)
with the only "factory" produced wood stock for the model. The plastic production stock was not ready
for this very gun to be photographed for the cover of their annual catalog, so they made an exact copy
of the plastic stock out of wood.
Several years later I bought the gun at the factory store showroom here in Connecticut, plus they threw in a
plastic stock. I like the wood stock a lot better too, especially on such a light shotgun, and the checkering
is also very sharp and nicely done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020325acrop26%b.JPG (39.9 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by arcticap; January 16, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old January 15, 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
jazzy45

The wood is natural ovangal and it was all handcarved by my friend's father-in-law who is an amateur woodcarver.
The stock is a little thicker than the original plastic piece.

You wouldn't believe what difference it makes on a gun like this.
Old January 15, 2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Pahoo

Great results and workmanship, not mention the price. Be safe.
Old January 16, 2008, 12:29 PM   #5
arcticap

There's a lot of nice features there, and anyone can see that maker put a lot of time, effort and care into carving it. The stippling, stain and finish all came together to make one beautiful stock!

It looks like you have a custom made off-set front scope base. Did you have trouble zeroing the high scope and found that you needed to alter the front base to get it too work?

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Last edited by arcticap; January 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old January 17, 2008, 03:22 AM   #6
jazzy45

arcticap, yes, you guessed right!! Unlike with my previous scope, I had great difficulties zeroing this one horizontally due to the offset of the mounting bracket. The weaver bases are aligned perfectly but the brackets are not (or shall I say - the scope was not particularly expensive , although they look identical.

I had to compensate the offset with .... here it comes .... four layers of duck tape I know this is lame - I promise I will introduce a more sophisticated solution soon I don't want to get scoped!

...and thanks for a warm welcome! I'm new here.