The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Cyanide971

Potential Sig for CZ trade!

Y'all keep your fingers crossed for me!

Long story short, when I was last at home a couple of weeks ago, a good friend of mine took a noticeably strong interest in my new P250C.

Yesterday he tells me that he is wondering if I might be interested in a possible trade for his P-07 Duty, and would like to fire about 50 rounds or so through my Sig next time I am home to see if it shoots as smooth and accurately as the P229 DAK I recently had to sell. Told him I had to think long and hard about this. Wait a second, who am I trying to kid.....

Though I am a huge fan of DAO pistols, as evidenced by my current pair of CZ 100's, my PX4 D, and this P250C, I'm pretty sure it's not going to kill me letting it go if he decides he actually wants to go through with the trade. For one, this would be my third P-07 (and ain't getting rid of it either!), and two, I've a P320C on the way to fill my "Sig roster spot".

So for the specifics on the hopeful trade:
Mine
• LNIB (less than 50 rds) 9mm Sig P250C w/2-15 rd mags, N.S, Sig paddle holster.

His
• Excellent condition (est 500 rds) 9mm CZ P-07 Duty w/3-16 rd mags, Winthrop IWB loop holster.

I think it would be a pretty even swap from my perspective, considering I shoot both very well but I will not lie, in this case I hands down prefer the CZ!
Old July 28, 2015, 01:44 AM   #2
Brotherbadger

Quote:
will not lie, in this case I hands down prefer the CZ!
If that's the case, make the trade! The CZ is an awesome pistol.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old July 28, 2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Independent George

Normally, I'd say that if you prefer the CZ, you should get the CZ, except in this case:

1. It's the older P-07 Duty rather than the newer model.
2. The Sig 250 might not be long for this world, whereas you can always get another P-07.
Old July 28, 2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

The reason the P-250 might not be long for this world? (Could it be because it's not a particularly popular gun? Then, too, the P-320 does much of what the P-250 does, but does it better...)

Unless you're hoping to get keep a potential collectible (i.e., the P-250), I'd make the trade.

I picked up an early P-07 (the first version, without the grip inserts) and couldn't be happier. Very accurate, great trigger. (Mine came without the decocker mechanism, which I wouldn'tve used, anyway.) You may find the P-07 becoming your favorite "compact" poly-framed gun.
Old July 28, 2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbadger View Post
If that's the case, make the trade! The CZ is an awesome pistol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
I picked up an early P-07 (the first version, without the grip inserts) and couldn't be happier. Very accurate, great trigger....You may find the P-07 becoming your favorite "compact" poly-framed gun.
Oh, I know! This'll be #3 for me. I've had one each of the original Duty as well as the 2014 model, and I actually prefer the grip and curved trigger of the original, but not the slide & plastic sights, even though the newer one has interchangeable back straps. It just fits my hand better from the get go, and made a lasting positive impression the first time I held one a couple of years ago.

This one is going to get night sights, the slide Cerakoted (eventually), and possibly some additional stippling on the upper portions of the grip. Like I said, I'm keeping this one! And I am sure that I can always pick up another P250 down the road if I really want to. Heck, I've had no issue acquiring a couple of CZ 100's, and they haven't been made in 9 years or so lol.

Hated to get rid of the first two, and I am in agreement with you Walt, already, no, still is my favorite. It's the one pistol I have had that was more accurate than my old PPQ.

Last edited by Cyanide971; July 28, 2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old July 29, 2015, 02:49 PM   #6
leadcounsel

I don't have any experience with that particular Sig, but I have other Sigs. They are fine guns. IIRC the 250 is a cheaper entry level Sig, with an okay reputation.

The P07 is an outstanding SA/DA pistol with a near perfect trigger and size and design. My only complaints are the rare and expensive $40 magazines! YIKES. And the lack of aftermarket sights, holsters, etc.

FYI - the original design was recalled for lack of drop free. The original owner can swap it out for the new one for up to 5 years under warranty. That's what I did. I like the 2nd generation modifications in the slide serrations, trigger design, and hammer and sites.

I would ensure that his gun mags drop free, and if not see if he's the original owner and you can work it out to send it in and get a new pistol in 8 weeks.

P07 all the way!
Old July 29, 2015, 04:25 PM   #7
ritepath

No brainer....even though it's an older p-07 it's hands down a more fun gun to own and shoot.
Old July 29, 2015, 06:22 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel
FYI - the original design was recalled for lack of drop free. The original owner can swap it out for the new one for up to 5 years under warranty. That's what I did. I like the 2nd generation modifications in the slide serrations, trigger design, and hammer and sites
For what it's worth, some of the very first P-07s and some poly-framed RAMIs had a frame that bulged on the side. These guns still functioned, but looked ugly. After learning of the problem CZ apparently modified the polymer used and replaced any guns that showed the problem. The poly-framed RAMI were discontinued, and anyone who had one could trade it in for a metal-framed RAMI.

I recently bought a used first generation P-07 and the mags drop free. The mags are more expensive, but standard CZ mags will work, so for range use (not carry) you're not stuck with expensive mags. I would expect Mec-Gar (which makes most of CZ's OEM Mags) to eventually sell their version for a good bit less than CZ.

I'd say the biggest change on the 2nd Gen. P-07s/P-09s is the interchangeable grip panels -- that's a real, functional change.

Re. aftermarket parts: Whenever any gun maker introduces a new design, it takes a while for the aftermarket providers to catch up -- and they'll support the gun ONLY when they're sure there's a market out there for their products. The P-07 and P-09 seem to be doing pretty well, so that aftermarket should pick in the not-to-distant future.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 29, 2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old July 29, 2015, 07:21 PM   #9
Cyanide971

My first Duty definitely had the frame bulge, but didn't affect operation or accuracy at all and when I sold it, I had close to 2k rounds through it with zero malfunctions.

Just before selling them. See who notices...

With 17-rd Sarsilmaz K2P mag, which functioned flawlessly to include locking the slide back following the last round fired (sorry, my old P-01 snuck into the pic haha):

Old July 29, 2015, 10:16 PM   #10
Fullclip610

Do the trade! Love the p07. Regular 75b mags work fine at the range, they just stick out the bottom a little.
Old July 30, 2015, 09:58 AM   #11
loose_holster_dan

i agree, in this case i prefer the cz.

i don't really like the p-07, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the weapon. the same cannot be said of the sig. they really cut corners on that p250.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 30, 2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Walt Sherrill

I only have ONE CZ compact mag at present, but it works in the P-07... with a tiny gap. If you can find P-07 baseplates, or ones with a similar design, you'd probably never know they weren't factory mags.

In years past, when I had several CZ compacts, I found that the Pro-Mag magazines (for the CZ-75B Compact in .40 -- a gun CZ never made) worked beautifully with the CZ 9mm compacts. I used them for years without problems, as did many others on the CZ Forum, and this allowed you to have hi-cap mags when hi-caps were outlawed! (I never found a good Pro-Mag for the full-size CZs, however...)

Sounds like the Sarsilmaz K2P mags are an even better solution, if you can find them at a reasonable price. (Or look for the base plates.)
Old July 30, 2015, 11:32 AM   #13
Cyanide971

Just for my fellow P-07 owners, one magazine that will not work are the ones with rubber base plates for the P-01. It may work if you swap the base plates, but I'm not sure as I never attempted that.

Here's an old picture of my former CZ family, also prior to my short time owning a RAMI D and my two current CZ 100's.

Last edited by Cyanide971; July 30, 2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old July 30, 2015, 03:48 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Just for my fellow P-07 owners, one magazine that will not work are the ones with rubber base plates for the P-01.
Depending on WHERE the rubber base plates are too thick, you may be able to trim them down with a razor or Dremel. And once trimmed, they may still work and look right in the P-01.

I was able to do that (trim the rubber a bit on the top SIDE of the base plate) with the hi-cap Mec-Gar mags for the P226 - which just wouldn't quite work in a P-226 X-Five, and with the Canik Stingray-C mags that just wouldn't quite lock in place in my Sphinx SDP. With a little trimming, they both seemed like factory mags. It just depends whether the excess material is above or below where they slide onto the base.

The only difference visible after the modification for the Mec-Gar mag was the color (the base is silver for the factory X-Five mags, while the standard mag bases are black. Same capacity. The only noticeable difference with the Canik mags was a different color follower.

(I removed the base plates and masked them with tape leaving the part to be trimmed unmasked, and then use a Dremel cutting wheel... Quick and easy.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 31, 2015 at 07:58 PM.