The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2008, 10:58 AM   #1
rantingredneck

Squirrel CCW.....or.....How do you carry your Ruger 22/45 in the field?

Well, deer season is over here in NC and as is tradition, I tend to take to the woods to squirrel hunt a few days in January (squirrel season ends 1/31). I went this past Saturday for the first time this year. Saw no squirrels of course, but two deer. Figures.......

I wanted to carry my Ruger 22/45 for the first time. I got it in late Jan of last year and really haven't carried it anywhere other than the range. It occurred to me on Friday night as I was laying out my gear that I had no holster for this gun...... I'd thought several times about looking for a holster for it last year, but never got around to it.

After digging through my box o' holsters in the closet and trying several uncle mikes nylon holsters out (some for guns I don't even own anymore...) I ran across a Bianchi Black Widow made for the Ruger P89. Believe it or not it was a pretty good fit. Not perfect mind you, but certainly passable. Good retention, good coverage of the trigger guard, comfortable. So that's how I carried it Saturday.

Now, while that Bianchi works in a pinch, I'd actually like to have a holster that is made for the gun. I also wouldn't mind having one that will fit it with a 30mm red dot on top of it. I know there are a lot of 22/45 owners around here, so the question to you fine folks is "what do you use?" Where did you get it? How much did it cost? Got a link? The usual drill............

Thanks in advance...
Old January 7, 2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Pahoo

For a MKII, I took and old nylon holster and cut out a channel on the front side to accomodate the Red-Dot. I then strung it in my bandolier belt and use it as crossdraw on the left side. That frees up my right side for my rifle or whatever. With a 10" barrel and Red-Dot, I slip it into the inside game pocket of my vest. I still hunt in the woods with a Camo vest which is getting harder to find. Be safe
Old January 7, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Quote:
I took and old nylon holster and cut out a channel on the front side to accomodate the Red-Dot.
I actually tried that myself and what I ended up with wasn't very secure on my belt. The gun moved too much on me. I thought about going back to that as I have some ideas on how to stabilize it, but I'm hoping someone out there has found something commercially available that works well.

I forgot in my OP to mention that my 22/45 is the Mk III 5.5" Bull Barrel model.
Old January 8, 2008, 07:40 AM   #4
CajunBass

I just slip my 22/45 with the red dot into the pocket of my hunting vest. Usually sight down, butt up.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 8, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Pahoo

I appologize for not giving more details.

1) On my Gov. model MK-II, I dressed up the cut edges on the channel with a strip of nylon, to better finish these areas. I also do leather and stitching work. I also have a strap with a snap that goes from the back of the holster, across the back strap and barrel junction of the pistol. As mentioned, This strung on my bandolier and have an added strap at the bottom of the holster that is looped and snapped onto a regular belt. Also, as I remember, someone makes a leather holster for this kind of a MK-II/scope usage. Think I saw it in Fox Ridge. Good luck and be safe!!

2) On my 10" MK-II, I carry it much like CajunBass mentioned except mine has to be butt down or scope up, because of it's length. I should also mentioned that most of the time, I just carry it by it's reciever area. Just palm it under the trigger guard.
Old January 8, 2008, 02:57 PM   #6
rantingredneck

Quote:
I also have a strap with a snap that goes from the back of the holster, across the back strap and barrel junction of the pistol
Great minds think alike. That is what I had contemplated for mine. I may just give that a try again. I've still got that holster in the closet. I dressed the edges like you mentioned with nylon too. Just didn't ad the snap strap yet.

Maybe it's time for me to do some sewing
Old January 8, 2008, 03:03 PM   #7
rantingredneck

I've also got some reservations about carrying a pistol in a vest pocket. I'm sure it works for you guys and you are comfortable with it, but I just want something covering that trigger.
Old January 9, 2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Pahoo

Three tiers of Safety

In any hunting or gun handling enviroment, I try to set up three tiers of safety. Each experience may take a different set. If anyone of the three breaks down, I still have the other two. For instance, when I am teaching on the M/L station, I always have one person just observing all of us and how we are handling our firearms. Again, that is in addition to the other safety tiers. Of course, the most important and last word, is muzzle control. At one of our ranges, when a person has to go down to change his targets, everyone on the shooting line, has to unload and back away from his gun. Pain in the butt? Yep but not a point to argue.

Quote:
If you can carry safely in a holster, you can carry safely inside your vest as it is still a pocket
Old January 9, 2008, 11:24 AM   #9
doc2rn

If you can live without the red dot Fobus makes my favorite paddle holster for the Ruger series. I just looked at mine and it calls it the RU-3.
Old January 9, 2008, 11:51 AM   #10
rantingredneck

I'll have to check that Fobus out. I can live without the red dot if I find the right holster/carry method that is comfortable and secure.
Old January 9, 2008, 11:52 AM   #11
rantingredneck

Pahoo. I'm sure you are safe with it in your pocket. I just know me, and my vest pockets (when I wear a vest) become magnets for other stuff. I'd be afraid I'd inadvertently get something in there with the gun. Different strokes and all.
Old January 9, 2008, 12:20 PM   #12
rantingredneck

As an update.

I stopped by wally world on the way home last night and picked up some more nylon and velcro. I dressed the edges of my holster a little better than before and then added a velcro strap that goes across the back of the red dot. It works a bit better. Still not completely happy with it and it's still a work in progress.

Still looking for other ideas too.
Old January 9, 2008, 12:20 PM   #13
davlandrum

Just be careful if you are pocket carrying but don't have a CCW. I had a "learning experience" that made me realize I was putting myself (and my guns) at legal risk. I was hunting and my raingear was covering my pistol - therefor making it a concealed weapon. LEO was nice about it, just gave me a little "pep talk", made sure I adjusted my gear so it was open carry, and sent me on my way.

As soon as he said "I don't see a pistol", I realized I was sooooo wrong.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 9, 2008, 12:23 PM   #14
rantingredneck

Yeah, I'm covered on that front. NC CCW holder. One of the reasons I got it back. I had let it lapse several years ago as I wasn't really carrying that much and there was a lot going on in my life at the time (new job, new kid) so I never went through the paperwork and process of renewal. Then I started carrying a handgun while hunting pretty regularly. Then I realized what a PITA it is to carry a handgun while hunting and ensure it's always seen. Then this part of the state's crime stats started ticking upward. Then I decided I better get my permit back. That was about a year ago.
Old January 9, 2008, 02:59 PM   #15
davlandrum

RR - good to hear. Before I was educated by the LEO, I had just never really thought about it. It wasn't like I was purposely being sneaky or anything, just trying to keep dry.

I think that was why the LEO did not get too excited about it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 9, 2008, 03:13 PM   #16
rantingredneck

Ever tried to fit an uncle mikes vertical shoulder holster with a Ruger SRH .454 in it OVER your hunting coat?? not too much fun
Old January 9, 2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Pahoo

That is interesting as my state has no restrictions like this as long as I am hunting or target shooting, in the feild. However, one time I came out of a gun show with a pocket pistol in a small case and in my pocket. Just before I got out the door, the show cop stopped me and reminded me that this was not legal. Right or wrong, I took it back out and graciously thanked him.

rantingredneck
Gees, I really do well with my Red-Dots as well as the newer fiber optics sights as my eyes are not as good as you young guys. I think that part of the problem is that the nylon belt loop is not very wide and that allows your whole rig to wabble on you hip. basically you only have one point of support. Mine has two and I don't carry it on my hip but on a bandolier.
Also, going out and see if find some links for the MK-II holsters with scope usage. I know they are out there. Be safe!!!
Old January 9, 2008, 04:57 PM   #18
davlandrum

RR - just wearing my binoc with one of those shoulder harness rigs makes me nuts, I can't imagine a 454...

Old January 9, 2008, 08:29 PM   #19
YukonKid

i carry my Mk. II gov in a uncle mikes shoulder holster. if you like leather triple K makes one with a spare mag holder on the side.
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 10, 2008, 12:14 PM   #20
Pahoo

Some Links

rantingredneck
Unable to locate what I have seen at Fox Ridge because Fox Ridge no longer has a website. However, go to Sportman's Guide and look at the following products; http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

WX2-82309
WX2-54311
Wx2-54309