The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 28, 2014, 11:32 AM   #1
weblance

NEW Ruger STRIKER FIRED LC9

Ruger has a new STRIKER FIRED LC9 coming. This is excellent for those who never liked the long trigger of the hammer fired LC9. You heard it here first...

Click for Product Announcement
Old July 28, 2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Got a better link? They want me to register for the forum.

Thanks.
Old July 28, 2014, 04:15 PM   #3
tahunua001

yeah it doesn't help if you don't have a ruger forum account... and i can't remember mine...

also... textbook driveby posting.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:58 PM   #4
gyvel

This driveby posting business has me scratching my head. The guy posted a link (albeit you have to register for the site) that provides some useful and new information, and even made a comment about it. But what does he have to do to make it NOT a driveby? Write a two volume text about it?
Old July 28, 2014, 11:10 PM   #5
tahunua001

normally more than a single line of text is needed before it becomes less of a driveby. no personal input, no opinions, no facts other than one may exist if you click the link you'll find out... sounds like a driveby to me, threads have been shut down with more than what's here.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Link, what link. All I get is a pdf file that won't open!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 29, 2014, 12:41 AM   #7
weblance

Easy fellas... heres two links to Gunbroker auctions with the new LC9s...

The first is in Prescott Az, home of the Ruger Autoloader factory. The second one says in stock with Davidson Lifetime Warranty, Sorry the link in my first post doesnt work for some of you...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=432018573

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=432003180
Old July 29, 2014, 08:16 PM   #8
huskybiker

It could be a winner. Little bit smaller than a Shield (better for pocket carry). No raised loaded chamber indicator. Still has a mag disconnect, though.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Webleymkv

Here you go, straight from the horse's mouth:

http://ruger.com/products/lc9s/models.html
Old July 29, 2014, 08:56 PM   #10
lee n. field

Looks like the old LC9, but it has to be a completely different gun internally.

Quote:
Safety features include integrated trigger safety, manual safety, magazine disconnect, inert magazine for safe disassembly and a visual inspection port that allows for visual confirmation of a loaded or empty chamber.
STill has the magazine disconnect.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 29, 2014, 10:19 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

It's bigger.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:54 PM   #12
mellow_c

I'll stick with my LC9. I like the safety with a long DA trigger. It allows me to safely pocket carry with no holster.

Also I've found the trigger to be very smooth, consistent and manageable, although I could never shoot it as fast as a striker fired gun.

I can keep nice tight groups with it though.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:59 PM   #13
LockedBreech

Just my opinion, but that is just too much safety gunk for a pocket pistol. I love my LCP. I would love having an LC9 companion to it without a manual safety or magazine safety. It mystifies me that they'll sell a safety-free LCP but not a safety-free LC9.

It's why the PPS is my favorite single stack 9 and why the Shield only now got on my radar. I have big fat hands that find a Beretta 92 midsize/comfy. I can't be fumbling for a wee little safety. The response to this tends to be "don't use it then" but that's a horrible idea for a self-defense gun because Murphy's Law tells us that if you don't practice turning the safety off the one time you need to use it it'll have been bumped on.

Kind of a bummer. I really hope they release a no-safety one later but the LC9 has been out a while and still doesn't have that option, so I won't get my hopes up.

I know Ruger's primary market is consumer rather than commercial/LE/mil, and in fact my friend chose an SR9 precisely because he has kids around the house and wanted lots of safety stuff just in case, I just wish they weren't so insistent on protecting me from myself.
Old July 29, 2014, 11:24 PM   #14
railroader

Review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFbj9M1qUws
Old July 30, 2014, 09:32 PM   #15
Pico

Gunblast weighs in

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LC9s.htm

He likes it but then he is the Will Rogers of gun reviewing: he never met a gun he didn't like.

Pico
Old July 30, 2014, 10:49 PM   #16
LockedBreech

While I totally agree that Jeff tends to gush too much, I sometimes find it a pleasant counterpoint to reviewers who are like "This gun has a grip that is 2 millimeters less than I would prefer" or "This gun's magazine eject button was uncomfortable at the 868th round"
Old July 31, 2014, 12:20 AM   #17
Cheapshooter

No thanks. Already have smaller, lighter, better striker fired 9MM pocket pistol called a KAHR ARMS CM9
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 30, 2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Freeloader Reloader

LC9s

I am just blown away by my new LC9s. I bought my previous LC9 after going to the range a couple of times with a friend. I would let him shoot my Ruger GP100 and he loved it. He would shoot his LC9 and didn't seem to be able to hit that barn on the broad side. He ended up giving me a pretty good deal on it, along with two extra mags and 100 rds of Win white box. It took me awhile to get used to the trigger, I will admit. But I finally noticed that there is a bevel on the top of the hammer that when it reaches the "horizontal" part of the cross cutout on the rear, it is just about to break. If I was at the range, I would hold the trigger there, reaquire my sight picture, squeeze it and pop off the round. I did much better with it like that. As others have stated...double taps...forget it. Soon as I heard about the LC9s and saw the video that Hickok45 posted, I sold my LC9 and bought the LC9s. I have been really happy with it with a minor problem with the Made in USA mag that came with it but Ruger took care of that problem for me with no problem. When I pulled that trigger the first time, it was like a miracle. I know there are much better triggers out there but as far as conceal-ability goes, this gun is hard to beat. I do not mind the external safety one bit, nor the magazine disconnect. I kind of miss the raised loaded chamber indicator but only when it is dark out. All in all, I am pleased with my purchase and look forward to pumping many more rounds out of this gun in practice before I ever have to use it in defense.