The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 18, 2014, 08:05 PM   #51
barnbwt

Hmmm, I wonder if the Czechs changed the design of the guard at some point (they had been making the things for like 30 years --hard to believe there were no changes in that time). It's a near universal point of "criticism" here in the US for people trying to justify inferior platforms, so I can see my they might tweak that part.

The new one looks cheaper to stamp out, too

TCB
Old August 18, 2014, 08:15 PM   #52
marine6680

Awesome... lots of us getting Vz's.

I really like mine, the fiance wants a fixed stock on it though.
Old August 18, 2014, 10:04 PM   #53
Sappyg

60 rounds through the VZ Saturday. Definitely not an AK. It gives a smoother faster sensation.

Recoil is abated. A friend mentioned, after firing, that it recoiled less than the AK. I don't disagree.
Old August 19, 2014, 09:48 AM   #54
Fishbed77

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder if the Czechs changed the design of the guard at some point (they had been making the things for like 30 years --hard to believe there were no changes in that time). It's a near universal point of "criticism" here in the US for people trying to justify inferior platforms, so I can see my they might tweak that part.

The new one looks cheaper to stamp out, too
I'm guessing the different trigger guard was created by whoever Century contracted in the US to build these rifles. Maybe they ran out of surplus trigger guards? I've never seen one like it on a service vz.58. But it does appear to be well-done.

Quote:
Recoil is abated. A friend mentioned, after firing, that it recoiled less than the AK. I don't disagree.
The recoil is not only softer than the AK, but much more linear. The VZ2008 comes with an AKM-style slant brake, but probably doesn't really need it. The service vz.58s seemed to do fine without a brake for the most part.
Old August 19, 2014, 07:27 PM   #55
Sappyg

^^^ that's interesting. I've read accounts that the slant muzzle break caused cheek slap. I did not notice this at all and really can't see how that break could cause cheek slap considering the recoil impulse. Linear recoil describes the impulse very well.
Old August 22, 2014, 08:23 PM   #56
Fishbed77

Quote:
I did a little more research and found out that the narrow trigger guard is indeed an original Czech vs.58 trigger guard - just a much less common variant.

I like it. It eliminates the interference with mag changes that folks complain about with the more typical trigger guard. No problems doing mag changes with gloves on with this variant.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:28 PM   #57
marine6680

I like it as well. Mag changes are easy on these.