The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 9, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1
texashuntin

Just bought my first AR! S&W M&P15X

30years old, and I've been hunting since I could hold my first .22 - but just purchased my first zombie killer. I know how to take care of my weapons, but I know damn near zilch about AR's... Looking for any recommendations, random advice, etc that anyone has the inclination and time to offer. Got a brother in the Army that's gonna break me in, but he's hard to get ahold of being in Iraq and whatnot.

First questions are - what (relatively) inexpensive ammo to zero with, and what home defense ammo to get my grubby little hands on? (I picked up some cheap stuff at Cabelas, but looking for help here)

What NECESSARY mods before first trigger pull (didn't have the time today to go play)?

Recommendations for optics (and a light) for boar hunting - and any unfortunate soul who enters my house uninvited (I'll be shooting the Glock left-handed while selecting FIRE on the M&P!)?

I've heard that to break her in I should fire one round, clean the barrel, rinse and repeat - TRUE? And how many rounds?

Any other random thoughts or tidbits you can offer...

Thanks and I'll see you on the range!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110409173142.jpg (233.5 KB, 64 views)
Old April 9, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Quentin2

Read the manual, this is a simple gun, you won't have trouble since you already should know the basics and general firearms safety. Just clean and lube the rifle, make sure the barrel's clear. Then go shoot the cheap stuff you already bought. Don't bother cleaning the bore between shots, shoot at least 100 rounds and of course zero. I wouldn't make any mods until you get familiar with the AR.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
AK103K

I think youre going to be happy with it.

I picked up a M&P15T in a trade awhile back. Its a good shooter. You dont have to do anything special with it as far as breaking it in. Just load it up and have at it.

For practice/blasting, I basically just use my reloads. Other than that, commercial or GI.

I have an Aimpoint ML2 on a LaRue cantilever mount on mine.

Here's mine .....

Old April 9, 2011, 09:48 PM   #4
chris in va

My first AR will be the M&P 15 Sport when I get the funds. Talked with many AR owners and they all said I don't need the forward assist, removable trigger guard or M204 barrel cut. Pretty hard to beat for $630.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:11 AM   #5
That'll Do

Just shoot the gun for a while, before buying anything for it. Learn the gun, then dress it up, if you feel the need. I like red dot optics on my ARs; there a lot of choices, but I prefer Aimpoint or EOTech.

As far as ammo goes, any good quality 223 Remington or 5.56 NATO will work fine.

I wouldn't waste my time breaking in a barrel on a regular AR like it is some kind of super-accurate bench rest gun. That just sounds like a bunch of gun store B.S.

Here's an excellent thread about cleaning/lubing an AR: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

And here's two of my AR's, a Colt 6920 on the left (with an EOTech 512), and a Daniel Defense lower with BCM midlength upper on the right (with an Aimpoint H1).

Tags
m&p , new ar , recommendation