The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 28, 2001, 12:14 AM   #1
Spud

I was referred here after submitting a question on another message board.

My wife's coworker removed some ceiling panels and found an opening to the sofet (sp) above the cabinets and found 4 guns and 2 sabers. They bought the house from relatives who bought it after the original owner passed away. The relatives had no knowledge of the guns.

I have some knowledge of more recent guns, and could easily identify one as a Japanese Model 99, from the Kokura Army Arselan, serial number 80713 (fairly late). The other three though are way out of my area of knowledge.

The other three are all percussion caps. One is an Over/Under with the markings "J. Sacket", "...eagertown", and I believe "FA." I didn't have anything to measure, but I would guess it was about a 44 cal rifle on top with about a 12 guage (possibly smaller) shotgun on bottom.

Next is a full stock with two triggers. I've been told this is a "set trigger" system for target rifles. It has a Hex (or maybe octaginal) barrel, and no markings that I could distinguish.

The last is a half stock with a hex (or oct) barrel. Again, there were no noticable markings, but there is some engraving around the hammer, but it is fairly worn.

I have a few pictures at http://www.geocities.com/p_doss/foundguns.html and http://www.geocities.com/p_doss/foundguns2.html I know the detail isn't that good, but I can e-mail better pictures. If needed I can go back and try to take any specific pictures needed.

I know I haven't given you much to go on, but any help you can provide in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 30, 2001, 12:29 PM   #2
SDC

Hi, Spud. The information you gave on the over/under combination gun matches up to a gunsmith called Jacob T. Sackett, who was active in Saegertown, Pennsylvania between 1880 and 1887 (according to my copy of "American Gunsmiths"). If you can get any similar markings off of the other two, I'll do my best with those too.
Stacey C.
Old May 1, 2001, 08:58 PM   #3
Spud

Thanks for the info... I greatly appreciate it. I had found some similar looking guns that were from Pennsylvania or NY from a little earlier (1850's to 1860's) so this sounds right.

I really couldn't find any markings on the other guns the first time I looked. I mainly looked at the barrel close to the hammer mechanism. Is there someplace else I should look.

Are there any other features or areas that I should note to help identify the others? One (I don't have my notes handy) had some interesting marks on the front sight. The other I believe had some unusual marks in the screws at the top back where the metal joins the stock (forgive my "technical" terms). Again, I'll find my notes and try to give more details.

Thanks again for your help with these.

-Paul

p.s. don't know if anyone is interested, but I think I have a pretty good ID on at least one (possibly both) of the swords.
Old May 2, 2001, 09:30 AM   #4
SDC

You might also find some marks on the lockplates, or a maker's mark under the wood. Almost all European firearms will also have one or more proof marks stamped into the barrel, to show that the firearm was safe to shoot with the proper load. If you want a good book to start comparing what you have with some known examples, look for the latest issue of "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms". If that book doesn't have it, it'll at least give you some idea of what their worth. Good luck :-).
Old December 17, 2010, 11:25 PM   #5
asg04a

J. Sackett Over/Under

I realize that I am posting this 9 years after the thread began, but I'm a descendent of Jacob T. Sackett from Saegertown, PA, and I was wondering if you still had possession of the gun, because I might be interested in purchasing it from you.

I know this is a long shot, but I hope this gets to you, so please contact me.
Old December 18, 2010, 01:57 AM   #6
birdshot

the OP has only posted twice in 9 years. you would do better to try to find him through the link, or through his profile. good luck.
Old December 18, 2010, 02:03 AM   #7
DG45

Hey asg04a,

Welcome to the forum. I notice you posted on an old thread so I read your message and then checked out to see if SPUD continued to visit the forum after he got the information he wanted in 2001. I don't see that he ever posted anything else so I doubt if he'll ever see this thread because I don't think he checks in anymore.

There may still be a way to contact him. I suggest you use TFL's private message facility and leave a private message for him. That way, TFL leaves an e-mail message for the person at the e-mail address he gave them when he registered, advising him that a member of TFL has left a message for him. If he still uses the same e-mail address now that he had back then, he will probably at least read your question.

If it were me, and I were trying to contact him after 9 years, I would probably put my e-mail address in my private message to him because he may have forgotten how to get back on TFL by now, and may not be willing to go to the trouble of figuring out how to do it again.

Not everybody responds to a personal message. For example, I don't answer some of them because most everything I have to say, I can say on the public forum. (And because on another forums, I once received a private message that creeped me out.) Anyway, I just prefer stay public. But it depends on what its about. I've answered some. In this case I don't see you have much of a choice if you want to get the guy's attention.

Good luck!
Old December 18, 2010, 02:02 PM   #8
asg04a

Thank you for your advice. I have sent him a Private Message, but I'm not going to hold my breath, since the email he has on here probably doesn't exist any more. Do you have any other suggestions as to how I can reach him?
Old December 19, 2010, 01:01 PM   #9
PetahW

You might try a personals ad, either in an Indianapolis newspaper or online, like Craig's List.

Part or all of his real name might be contained in his email addy.