The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 16, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Armi San Paolo

Fellas,

I picked up an Armi San Paolo 1860 Army in unblued steel a couple weeks ago. I replaced all the nipples because four out of six were wadded up pretty bad. The pistol is in great shape, made in 1988. There is no cylinder ring. I tried shooting it last week end but the nipples were too far gone.

I am impressed with the tightness of the pistol. Lock up is good. Cylinder gap is less than eight. (A four fits, an eight won't) I can push the wedge out with my thumb. I think the pistol had been played with but not shot that much. It is very clean.

I have a couple of Armi San Marco pistols which I like. But this is my first ASP.

Does anyone have any opinions/anecdotes about ASP?

Tnx,
Old August 16, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Hawg

They're pretty decent guns. Euroarms now.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

No crap!?

Hawg,

That means I can probly get parts from the Winchester Sutler if I ever needs 'em.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Hawg

I would think so.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Walther22lr

I am quite happy with mine! The gun functions and fires quite well. I can almost push out the wedge with my thumb too, but I use a wooden mallet.
Like yours, mine looks like it was handled a lot and fired little.

I wish mine had the steel backstrap instead of the brass one, but that is a minor issue. All things considered, I like it.
Old August 17, 2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Yup!

You could show me a million photos of an 1860 Army and when you showed me the one million and first photo, I would still say..."Dang, thats a purdy pistol."
Old August 17, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7
mykeal

Ok, take this!

Last edited by mykeal; August 17, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old August 17, 2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Dang...those are purdy pistols

For the content of this post, refer to the subject.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:38 PM   #9
madcratebuilder

I have a Armi San Paolo Rogers & Spencer. I have only shoot it a few dozen times. The previous owner added a dovetail front sight. I could not find any area to improve on it. The frame is getting a nice light plum color to it.
Old August 18, 2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

I have always thought

MCB,

As you well know, I am a novice at this but I have always thought, that of the pistols produced in the time frame we are interested in, the Rodgers and Spencer frame design has the most modern appearance. If you consider only the frame, it is taking on the look of the Smith and Wesson I or M frame.

Just an observation from one whose observations are limited.
Old August 18, 2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Smokin_Gun

Doc ASP/Euroarms is My Favored Remington from Italy more like my original 1861 Old Army Rem .44 than the others, along with the E.N. Santa Barbaras.
I got three of the ASP/Euroarms... an ASP '58 NMA .44, a Euroarms NMA .44, and NMA .36 Army Police.
I like um'...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Well, as I said

SG,

Yes. I sure like the feel of this 1860. I am working on an FIE 1851 which is in terrible shape that I got from a fella named Earl Johnson on GB. (He told me it was in terrible shape when he sold it to me).

But in the middle of working on this piece of meat, I took a break and just went and fiddled with the ASP 1860. It was almost medicinal in its effect.

BTW,

I am still working on that 1863 Pocket Remington from ASM. I have almost got the action working on it. Still can't find a hammer. (And Yes, I have tried VTI, DGW, Winchester Sutler, Deer Creek and the guy in Texas who does not have a website.) I am slowly getting it closer by filing on the parts I already have. Still having fun with it.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:03 AM   #13
Smokin_Gun

Good to hear that Doc on the '63 Rem pocket...I don't think Uberti made one but a hammer from them might fit or be fited as would maybe a Pietta hammer.
Maybe you could post somewhere you are lookin' for a hammer...
By the way Doc as far as you bein' new to BP guns I think you newness wore off as you are building and selecting Revs like a pro :O)
Good job.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

Thanks for the vote of confidence

SG,

I feel like I have been doing this for a long time and I do enjoy getting involved in the nuts and bolts.

I was talking to a kid in my class last night who was a Gunner's Mate in the Navy and who still does a little light gunsmithing. He is more of a cartridge guy but we agreed that if you are going to do much BP shooting you are going to do some fixing of revolvers.

The reason that I am so conscious of my lack of experience is that I don't now, nor have I ever shot with anyone else present. I don't like shooting with people. BUT that means that I close out the opportunity to learn from others or learn with others.

I know there is real value in joining a group and attending the outings. I have actually considered joining but I decided that I just don't like people around when I am shooting.

Maybe that is why I post so often and so voluminously on this forum. This substitutes for my lack of connectedness when I am actually shooting.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:00 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I have actually considered joining but I decided that I just don't like people around when I am shooting.
Don't feel alone Doc. I really don't like shooting with strangers around. I'm OK with close friends, the few I have anyway. If I'm working on a revolver or working up a load I much prefer to be alone. I'm lucky to have a lot of BLM land that's legal to shoot on with in an hours drive.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:20 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

Yup!

Couple of months ago I was shooting on a guy's farm out in Suffok which is about an hour from me. It was an absolutely superb spot. Best I ever used without question. But then some knuckleheads started building a friggin house close by so I gave it up.

Now I am shooting on one of my student's property in extreme northeast North Carolina. It is not as secluded as the Suffolk location but still nice. Shooting into a bank about 7 or 8 feet high. Plenty of range and good visability so I know when folks are approaching.

I think it is great that BLM land is open for shooters. I think that by-and-large, shooters are some of most well informed ecologists in the population.

Most liberals think that there is a retirement home for deer so they can be cared for in their old age.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; August 19, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:30 AM   #17
Smokin_Gun

Hell Doc, the way we all hang together posting on forums from CA USA, to Germany, OZ ...around and back again I say were are a Collective with a common interest...
I don't mind shootin' with others and would rather it be my Son or friends ... But like MCB Said when I'm workin' up a load for rifle or Rev I'd prefer to be alone if not with my current Spotter my Son Young Smokin' Gun.
I think it's only a natural desire not to get shot accidently :O)
Old August 20, 2009, 05:57 AM   #18
Doc Hoy

Yup!

SG,

I'll buy what you are saying. I stopped riding with others because there was always a show-off in the group who made the ride dangerous and embarrassing. They did not wake up in the morning and say to themselves, "I think I'll be a fool today." They were just under-educated or under-aware.

Same with shooting. Like you, I would like to avoid getting shot. But I would really feel bad if I shot someone else because they made me mad.
Old August 20, 2009, 05:58 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

Ooops

Sorry guys,

I just realized how much this thread has gotten away from the point.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:49 AM   #20
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I think it is great that BLM land is open for shooters. I think that by-and-large, shooters are some of most well informed ecologists in the population.
Sadly Doc, it may become a thing of the past. There are some that leave behind an unbelievable mess of garbage, riddled and burned out cars, washing machines, you name it. There is one spot about an hour east of here that attracts a lot of full auto shooters (legal in OR) and it's is pretty trashed out. The anti's could use it a poster child for banning shooting on public land.
Old August 20, 2009, 07:46 AM   #21
Doc Hoy

Hmmmmmm

MCB,

We may be our own worst enemies.

Tnx,