The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun show pretty good today

Went to the Norfolk Scope show today. The number of vendors is down considerably.

Last year the entire hall would be filled with tables and a vendor at every location. This time the hall was only about two thirds full.

Pickens were slim. Not much I was interested in.

I was happy to see Mac from Mac's Reloads there with all his stuff. I picked up some new .44-40 brass from Winchester for 36 cents a case. Bought some .357 bullet boxes. Found a guy selling Rand CLP like Duelist was using in his video.

Also bought a Takarev M57 from Yugoslavia. The pistol is in great shape with nearly 95% blue left. Just a little holster scuffing on the slide. Bore like a mirror. Action tight as a drum. Just one little nick on the grips. Gave 200.00 for it and the vendor had the policy of refunding parking for any firearm purchase.

Watched the Hickok 45 video and now I can't wait to go shoot this thing.

Only problem is finding ammunition.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:15 PM   #2
noelf2

There's no cheap 7.62x25 anymore. Surprised you didn't see any at the show.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Noelf2

None.

Only about two big time ammunition dealers. Neither had any.

One of them was Georgia Arms and Ammo. He had to actually go and look at the pistol to come to the conclusion that it was 7.62 - 25.

Mac of Mac's reloads knew precisely what I needed. He does a heck of a lot of reloading but does not reload for Tokarev. He does get it in from time to time and told me not to worry. He would have some.

Nice thing about Mac is that his prices are good and he is right down the road.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Woodslab

What a shame for everyone. I though about going and my wife gave me the evil eye. I went to Hyatt gun shop in Charlotte last weekend reloading supply galore. "Americas largest gun shop."
Old March 1, 2014, 07:42 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Hmmm . . . Doc got a new Tokarev . . . . I see a new turret plate, set of dies and a new mold in his future. . . . am I psychic or what?

At least you didn't come home empty handed Doc. Sounds like a good way to spend the day! Glad you found some things you needed!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 1, 2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Hawg

Lets see, I do believe you're up to eight calibers to reload now. This coming from a man that didn't want any more to reload after six.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Hey!

All a you guys...

Shut up!

;o)

But in answer to the question....

Yep, I am looking at dies for Tokarev from Lee.

Got a fellow member willing to sell me some rounds to shoot and reload.

We shall see.
Old March 2, 2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

It just got even better....

Went back to the show today to see if I could find a Lee Case Conditioning kit. Wanted to cut .223 cases down to shoot in the Tokarev.

Georgia Arms put out some corn cobb medium.

But better yet, I got a deal on an infired reconditioned Nagant revolver for 130.00

Holster and cleaning rod included. Revolver is perfect.

Here are photos of the Nagant followed by the Tokarev.

Old March 2, 2014, 12:50 PM   #9
BerdanSS

That Nagant is a real peach Doc Been mulling over picking one up for a Loooong while.

Funny you should mention cutting down .223 cases. Stopped buy the local supplier of all things reloading yesterday. Pretty extensive conversation got going about all the other uses for .223s with split case necks.
Old March 2, 2014, 03:50 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Berdan

I just got back from shooting a little today.

It happens that I go shooting out on a guys farm about 20 minutes from here. Only other folks who shoot there are him and his friends.

They don't police up their brass.....But I do....

Came home with about a hundred and fifty .223 brass cases. Plus sundry other things including a bunch of my .45 ACP that I missed picking up last time I was out there.
Old March 2, 2014, 04:37 PM   #11
noelf2

Doc sometimes, depending on the .223 brass, you need to ream the case necks thinner after you cut and size it to 7.62x25. Midwayusa has the neck reamer and reamer die for that, but they're not cheap (out of stock, just checked). You might want to consider biting the bullet (figure of speech) and buying some reloadable ammo (.prvi, Sellier & Bellot, etc.), reuse the brass, and not bother with .223 case prep. You will lose a lot of those hard work effort resized .223's every time you go shooting.

Last edited by noelf2; March 2, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old March 2, 2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Doc Hoy

Noelf2

Got my eyes on some S and B on the Gunbroker right now.
Old March 2, 2014, 04:44 PM   #13
noelf2

www.gunbot.net shows who has some in stock, but prices are up to .50 per round.
Old March 2, 2014, 08:44 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

Hawg . . . since you brought up the number of calibers Doc is loading . . .

From what I'm seeing and diagnosis . . . the addiction is getting much worse than we thought! Maybe its "Intervention Time"????

Gotta say though Doc . . . I'd have brought that Nagant home as well - looks like a nice one . . . . and usually, it costs the same to ship two sets of dies as much as it does one!

I'd say you did reeeeaaaal gooooood this weekend! Congrats on your new "babies"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 2, 2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Doc Hoy

Yes, Guys...

In diagnosing my problem, the surgeons are in agreement.

My wallet is going to have to come out.

;o)
Old March 3, 2014, 09:00 PM   #16
rdmallory

Quote:
"Americas largest gun shop."
One of 4 isles at AAA pawn in Deland. Yes they are hanging from the ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AApawn.jpg (121.8 KB, 21 views)
Old March 3, 2014, 10:04 PM   #17
Doc Hoy

Okay now.....how did you manage that?

Not only did you die and go to heaven....

You came back with photos.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Stormson

Quote:
Only problem is finding ammunition.
Tried a Norinco on for size years ago... Wasnt for me. Thing is, THAT one was in 9mm.. And I COULD have gotten the vers that came with both 9mm and 7.62x25 barrels ... I really dont remember if there where other parts in that kit or not (I just opted for the 9mil so didnt pay much attention)...

Given that and if the Yugo stuff is compatible with the Chicom stuff (SHOULD be?)... Seems that ya MAY be able to find parts to convert it...

The upshot is that later, if we ever return to AMERICAN standards, this insane ban on forign surplus might get lifted, and you would have a side arm that accepted both rounds, IF the FREE market is allowed to return, and cheap 7.62x25 is once again available...If not, then you still have the 9mm.. GTG either way.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:07 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

Thanks Stormson

Converting to 9MM (if you mean 9MM Luger) is something I will look into.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:56 AM   #20
noelf2

There are also some threads on here about conversion to 9mm luger. It's fairly easy to do. Problem is finding a barrel. These days, the conversion would cost you almost as much as a 9mm Tok.
Old March 4, 2014, 05:16 PM   #21
Doc Hoy

Just came back from the gun shop....

....With some .32 S&W Long.

Man are they sloppy!

I know a coupla you guys have said it is okay but the difference in chamber diameter and case diameter is scary.

I think I'll just go out and find a revolver that takes .32 Long so I don't have to waste the 28.00 I paid for the ammunition.

Got the gun shop guy looking for the right ammunition for the pistol. Until I get that I suppose I will just have to play with the pistol while I am watching "Defiance" or "The Pianist".

He is also looking for Tokarev. But it appears that the technique of cutting down .223 cases for that is relatively straight forward.

So now it is off to Titan Reloading to get the Tokarev dies and a case conditioning outfit. I'll make the case gage in the shop. Titan don't have one.

Tnx,
Old March 4, 2014, 06:18 PM   #22
noelf2

Quote:
Until I get that I suppose I will just have to play with the pistol while I am watching "Defiance" or "The Pianist".
Or "Enemy at the Gates". Watch for the Nagant on the boats, and Tokarevs elsewhere.

Quote:
So now it is off to Titan Reloading to get the Tokarev dies and a case conditioning outfit. I'll make the case gage in the shop. Titan don't have one.
Do they have neck reamers and reamer dies? If you don't thin the neck walls, they may not chamber. It's a lot of work to do. I would be obsessing about finding every case at the range. Losing some is inevitable.

Last edited by noelf2; March 4, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 01:40 AM   #23
Doc Hoy

Noel

They have a selection of case conditioning stuff.

It does include a tool for reaming the neck.

I watched a coupla videos on converting the .223.

In addition to the stuff from Titan/Lee, I am going to need a smaller tubing cutter to shorten the cases. Home Depot

In one of the videos, the craftsman spoke about converting a .38 special case gage to Tokarev length. I can do that but I might look for a smaller diameter gage to start with. Or I might try starting from scratch. I'll probly set up the drill press to size the cases and in one video the star chucked the tool into the drill press rather than the shell holder. He fine sized all of the cases first then went to town with the ream to smooth up the neck.

I called around yesterday and found that Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk, has a dozen boxes of Tokarev at forty bucks for fifty. I'll proly go over there and get a box or two for something to start with. I think it is Privi Partisan.

BTW - Enemy at the Gates is a better choice than either of the ones I mentioned.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 5, 2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:21 PM   #24
Tidewater_Kid

When AimSurplus has it it $16.95 per fifty...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Box&groupid=38

I bought a bunch of the Nagant ammo when it was around a couple of years ago. That was surplus, but worked well in my revolver.

I heard people wrapping one layer of scotch tape around the .32 rounds to keep them from bulging.

TK
Old March 5, 2014, 10:00 PM   #25
noelf2

Quote:
When AimSurplus has it it $16.95 per fifty...
They haven't had that stuff for a year, and you can bet it won't be that price when/if they ever get it again.