The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 16, 2008, 05:54 PM   #26
orionengnr

Quote:
Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but why would a range not allow steel cased ammo?
Most ranges sell their brass. The people who buy the brass buy it by the bucket full (or by the pound) and they don't want steel cases because the steel cases are worthless--e.g., don't want to pay for 50 lbs of brass and get 35 lbs of brass and 15 lbs of steel.

Neither party wants to take the time to sort/separate it. Easy solution--don't allow people to fire steel-cased ammo on your range. Done.
Old April 17, 2008, 12:59 AM   #27
2cooltoolz

Someone asked about stocking up and what variety of ammo to stock. I'm never typical of what any one else does, but I personally stock about 60% WWWWB (Wally World Winchester White Box) Value Packs, 25% WWB Personal Protection JHP's and 15% Premium (Hydra Shok, Gold Dot) JHP.
It's a matter of economics; if I could afford it I'd stock more premiums. Also my stock of JHP's is constantly increasing percentage-wise as I tend to burn up the FMJ's.
I don't reload yet, but I'm researching!!
Old April 17, 2008, 06:13 AM   #28
Keltyke

We stock practice rounds - FMJ, and PD rounds - JHP +P. The ratio is about 80-10, since we shoot mostly practice stuff. We only shoot the PD (read expensive) ammo to stay in touch with the harder kick and louder 'bang'. We pick up our brass and can usually recover 90-100% of what we shoot. We're also researching reloading. We've been told the first box we reload will cost $500, but everything after that is virtually free. We know that's not the case, but we HAVE been told by reliable sources that we can cut our ammo costs by 40-50% as we amortize the initial cost of the equipment and the ongoing costs of powder and bullets.
Old April 17, 2008, 09:50 AM   #29
Keltyke

Why won't ranges allow steel ammo? Simple: Ricochet.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:00 AM   #30
tulsamal

It is a multi-step process.

1) Download the paperwork and file for a C&R. It will cost you $30 every three years.

2) Once the license comes, mail it off to the usual C&R selling places. But also to Brownell's, Graf's, and MidwayUSA. All three of those places will then sell you loaded ammo and reloading components for dealer prices. For instance, I just placed an order yesterday for 500 Hornady .45 200 grain FMJ bullets. It was $66.

3) Once the wholesalers have your C&R, order your reloading stuff. I would go with the new Lee Classic Turret but you pays your money and you makes your choice. This would also be a good time to order empty brass if you need it. And bullets.

Generally I don't buy powder and primers online. The $17 hazmat fee is painful. (May have even gone up since I last paid it.) It usually seems like a better deal to find a local gunstore or gun show where you buy the powder and primers. Unless you really are going to buy more than five pounds of powder at once. Maybe that would have worked for me when I was first getting started but I've got so much powder now that I rarely buy more than one pound at a time.

For the ultimate in lower costs, you have to cast your own bullets. You can order all that equipment from Graf's and Midway as well. The "fly in the ointment" for that is you need to have a source for scrap lead to make it really worthwhile. I haven't found that place yet so I'm still buying bullets.

If you buy a whole bunch of once fired 9mm brass for some dirt cheap price, you can reload a basic 9mm practice load for not much more than shooting a .22. And don't think of reloading as some kind of drudgery or something. I might have quit shooting over the years if not for the constant curiosity about reloading for some particular gun.

Gregg
Old April 17, 2008, 10:29 AM   #31
Murdoch

Keltyke

Steel CASED ammo...not steel ammo.

orionengnr

Thanks. That's the only reason I could think of, but wasn't sure.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:39 AM   #32
SkiShoot

Another vote for Wal-Mart here. They are selling mega packs of Remington UMC for $48 around me, which was better than WWB. In fact, I've never seen WWB in-stock around here, and the last time I went, the guy said the warehouse was over a month behind on stocking it.
Old April 17, 2008, 12:10 PM   #33
primlantah
Registration in progress

i try to stock up on components... not ammo. though costs are rising for ammo and compnents it is disproportionate. Components seem to be rising in cost more gradually. Anytime i have cash in pocket and i see components for sale at an average price or cheaper i buy as much as i can.
Old December 5, 2009, 10:56 AM   #34
uscnumber_one

Century Arms

Did you ever get the chance to order the 9mm ammo from Century Arms? It seems pretty cheap. If so, was the ammo decent?
Old December 5, 2009, 11:05 AM   #35
bangbangshootshoot

usc, that op is over 1-1/2 yrs old....
Old December 5, 2009, 02:12 PM   #36
Elvishead

Quote:
Old December 7, 2009, 09:24 AM   #37
jontz

Well, since this thread has already been resurrected...

My dad picked up a 250 round mega pack of Remington FMJ at Rural King for $55. Not too bad in this day and age.