The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2015, 01:33 PM   #26
natman

I have posted that quote before because:
1) the topic comes up regularly
2) it's still true

Quote:
Feeling like a different caliber would have worked better when a caliber like .243 is known to work fine really sounds like the author is trying to blame less than adequate shooting on his equipment. Yeah, I know the guy had lots of experience, but if he had so much experience, then why was he shooting that caliber in the first place?
Excellent question. I wouldn't be shooting a 243 at a deer if I had another choice either. Actually IIRC, he was using a 243 because that's what the rifle he was testing was in. Gunwriters do that.

Again, it's quite possible to use a 243 on deer and have things turn out well. But you might want to note how many qualifications tend to creep in even from its proponents: broadside shots, head shots, neck shots, if your accuracy is perfect, etc. I'd prefer a cartridge that will work even if the presentation isn't perfect, if the animal is quartering away, if by chance the shot lands an inch or two away from the intended spot. Please note that I am NOT advocating using a magnum to compensate for poor shooting nor taking bad shots. I just prefer a bit more power and I'm perfectly willing to deal with a bit more recoil to get it.
Old October 10, 2015, 07:31 PM   #27
jmr40

With todays better bullets the 243 is pretty capable. In fact I believe it is darn close to the perfect deer caliber at any range the shooter is capable of making good hits. And it isn't a bad elk round either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18
Old October 10, 2015, 09:18 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I'd prefer a cartridge that will work even if the presentation isn't perfect, if the animal is quartering away, if by chance the shot lands an inch or two away from the intended spot. Please note that I am NOT advocating using a magnum to compensate for poor shooting nor taking bad shots. I just prefer a bit more power and I'm perfectly willing to deal with a bit more recoil to get it.
I have a much greater appreciation for you expressing your own opinion on the matter rather than expressing that of a gun writer. You are right in that gun writers do test things and I would add often do some silly stuff as well or draw conclusions based on exceptionally limited information and pass it off as some sort of fact buttressed by their name and reputation which is then picked up and believed by readers as some sort of standard. In the matter at hand, Jamison made a blanket statement condemning the entire caliber based on a single incident example. I guess gun writers just do that sometimes.

Personally, I find it amusing when writers find that their pet caliber or load doesn't do the trick and instead of blaming the caliber, load, their own shooting skill, they claim that the particular animal happened to be extraordinarily tough.
Old October 11, 2015, 02:43 AM   #29
bamaranger

before

I've written before that I was a bonafide .243 basher, based on my Dad's opinion of the cartridge when it first came out. Never owned one, never shot one, but was quick to label it inadequate as a deer cartridge 'casue that's how I'd come up.

And in his later years, Dad bought a .243 to hunt groundhogs, and started hitting them farther out than he ever thought possible. That practice, his growing confidence, and I suspect the influence of some of his older cronies who had been shooting the .243 at deer for some time, swayed Dad to give it a whirl on whitetails too. And he started taking deer on a much more regular basis and not missing them as much. Ol' Dad likely had a bit of a flinch going on with the '06/.270 rifles too, not so with the .243 I suspect.

The .243 came my way after Dad's death, I ironed out some kinks on the rifle (hated to change it, but the budget scope and see thru rings had to go) and I put bamaboy on it. We both killed some deer with it, using W-W factory 100's, and then reloads with 100 gr Noslers. And I realized that I was a fool regards my opinion of the cartridge back in my youth......and went out and promptly bought myself a nifty mannlicher stocked vintage .243 carbine for myself.

That old Mossberg 800M does not seem to like my 100 gr Nosler reloads, and shows an affinity for lighter slugs. Since I have a bunch of 100's on hand, I'll tinker a bit, working towards improvement, and accept its 1.75 MOA tendencies for now.
Old October 11, 2015, 06:05 AM   #30
Jack O'Conner

My slide action .243 is the most accurate center fire rife that I've ever owned. It shoots tight little clusters at 100 yards and the recoil is not bothersome to me. In summary this rifle is a joy to hunt with.

I've had very good luck with 95 grain bullets. They're a little faster than 100 grain bullets but produce very ghastly internal damage to the chest organs upon impact. This antelope was toppled at well over 250 yards. The animal never knew what hit 'em.

I suggest take a strong look at FEDERAL Fusion ammo if you're seeking the best penetration but Nosler Partitions have a very good reputation as well.

Jack

Old October 11, 2015, 08:30 AM   #31
Guv

Maybe the 243 gets some bad press due to the fact it is purchased for/by some amount of beginner hunters. Can't imagine an animal knowing the difference between a 257 Roberts and a 6mm/243.
Old October 11, 2015, 02:25 PM   #32
¤_Ozark_¤_Hunter_¤

Although I am no expert with any caliber I will say that the .243 is more than capable of taking large whitetail deer and hogs any day of the week with almost perfect conditions and shot placement I have known very many people including my own brother to do so. Point is there has been polar bears killed with 22 lrs and elephants killed with 7.62x39 (a favored caliber by many African poachers) shot placement is eveything!
Old October 11, 2015, 10:56 PM   #33
Colorado Redneck

These threads about certain rounds come up from time to time. It seems like they are started to either find a reason to not buy a gun in a given caliber or to argue about something. A .243 caliber 85 grain bullet leaving the barrel at 3100 fps is pretty good medicine compared to a 224 caliber bullet weighing 60 grains. Some people have stated that the .270 Winchester is marginal or too "light" for elk. These kinds of statements are funny, IMO. A blanket statement like that is wrong. Period.

As for running shots on game, well, I have never ever witnessed a running shot on game that hit anything. Ever. A shot like that is almost always off hand. If the animal is over 100 yards away and moving, that is like closing your eyes and throwing a rock, expecting to hit something. You might hit a deer, in the nose, in the tail, in the foot, in the guts, through the neck missing all of the vital stuff. That is not ethical, IMO. And a bigger caliber bullet through a leg is still a messed up shot.
Old October 12, 2015, 05:36 AM   #34
Guv

Have to agree here with Colorado Redneck. In my opinion, wounded animals are fuel for the anti-hunters who are after our sport/tradition. Pretty gruesome and sad for the animal also. Even a still shot can land in the wrong place.
Old October 12, 2015, 06:16 AM   #35
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
As for running shots on game, well, I have never ever witnessed a running shot on game that hit anything. Ever.
Pig hunters do it quite often. Of course, we get a lot more practice than deer hunters do.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=AA2ePTCbQcw
Old October 12, 2015, 07:55 PM   #36
603Country

I've killed a number of running deer and a few running pigs over the years. Don't remember hitting but one running coyote over the decades. I've hit them when they were doing a light trot, but when you have gotten a coyote up to full hyper drive, good luck with trying to put a bullet in them, except by accident (or extreme skill, which I apparently do not possess, except perhaps in small measure).

For someone to say they've never seen running game killed just tells me they aren't hanging around with good shots.
Old October 12, 2015, 08:06 PM   #37
Tipsy Mcstagger

I've killed a few pigs and deer in TX with 243 and never lost one or had it run too far using 95 SST. That being said, I'm in the market for a 260 or 7/08 in hopes of a little more instant effect on the game.