The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 5, 2015, 03:11 PM   #1
NHSHOOTER

The rain in So.Carolina

After hearing about all the rain in So.carolina this past weekend and I have a hunt planned for down there first week of november, is my hunting trip already ruined?
Old October 5, 2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Saltydog235

No, hopefully things will dry out and drain out the next few weeks. The only thing that may happen is DNR suspends. The season for a couple of weeks. Deer and a lot of game head for high ground in situations like this. Hopefully it'll drown about half the hog population.
Old October 5, 2015, 04:14 PM   #3
krimmie

I just got back from hunting near Florence SC. We had a decent day Thursday and Friday morning, but got rained out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning...we decided to head back to Florida early. We got out before they closed I-95, so we lucked out

You should be in good shape by the time you head to SC.
Old October 5, 2015, 04:27 PM   #4
smee78

It will take a few weeks to get all the water drained out of here but all should be fine soon enought.
Old October 5, 2015, 07:27 PM   #5
reynolds357

A few weeks is an eternity around here. It will probably be drought conditions around here again by then.
Old October 6, 2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Saltydog235

SCDNR has issued a temporary closure to hunting season starting at noon on Wednesday October 8 through Sunday October 12 while flood waters recede. This will allow concentrated animals to filter back into their normal home ranges. Still trying to find an alternate access into our club as the normal routes are washed out.
Old October 7, 2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Snyper

Don't assume because the waters have receded that everything is fine.

There are roads and bridges washed out that may take months to repair.

Make sure to call ahead for your specific locale
Old October 7, 2015, 09:20 PM   #8
dakota.potts

What part of South Carolina? Here in Greenwood (about an hour north of Augusta,GA) we seem to be OK. Ponds rose a few feet and the clay here is muddy and sticky, but not too much other than that. An hour in every direction, there were floods of one kind or another and multiple road closures. I would recommend staying away from the coastal regions, Columbia, and Greenville in particular. They've reported 13 dam failures and over $1 billion in damage. Parts of multiple interstates are closed, and back roads may be destroyed. A couple in my area are impassible due to large breaks and collapses from the ground being swept out.

EDIT: I'm sure you'll be able to get more accurate information about your area closer to November, but I'm sure most of the flooding will be gone by then. It's mainly infrastructure I would be worrying about at that point.
Old October 8, 2015, 03:04 AM   #9
NHSHOOTER

Looking at a map I wont be too far from greenwood, just west of Lexington, Batesburg leesville.
Old October 8, 2015, 08:03 AM   #10
Saltydog235

Yes, most of the closure is downstream in the lowcountry. Rivers will be cresting over the weekend and then should deminish over the next few weeks. Tons of road damage throughout the area and more to come I'm sure. I rode down to assess the hunt club and was surprised to find the road I was told was washed out in good shape all the way to the gate, further down it was a mess. I'll take the Gator in on Saturday and get a better look all around.
Old October 8, 2015, 08:47 AM   #11
dakota.potts

Lexington may be bad news. Lexington came under at least one evacuation order and had multiple road, bridge and dam failures if I remember correctly. I advise getting into contact with your local guide/buddy/club and find the situation on the land you'll be on as well as any necessary roads to get there
Old October 8, 2015, 08:00 PM   #12
NHSHOOTER

Good News, Talked to my friend in So. Carolina today and he said we will be good to go. It was to his south and east that got hit hardest, north and west is fine and that is the area we will be hunting, he also said that the bucks are starting to chase the does already and if and when it cools towards the end of the month we should be right into the rut. Thanks you all for the info you shared and I will surely be sharing pictures and stories upon my return.
Old October 8, 2015, 10:55 PM   #13
Saltydog235

Rut'll be on in most of the state in a week or so. It's triggered mostly by the moon phase around here. You can't count on cool temps in SC until mid-December. I've worn shorts, T-shirt and Flip Flops on Christmas.
Old October 10, 2015, 11:12 AM   #14
lockedcj7

I live near Anderson and it's business as usual here. Peak rut is the first week of November and you can set your watch by it. Photo period is the most important trigger but temps can make it more or less intense in my area.