The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 23, 2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Colorado OTC Rifle Elk Hunts

Hello gang!

I'm finally realizing my long time dream of moving to CO!

Two weeks from today!

Obviously, the time frame for lottery tags has already long passed but many areas near me have OTC tags for 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Talk to me about hunting OTC areas roughly in the rectangle formed by Grand Junction, Montrose, Crested Butte and Glenwood Springs, or other areas West.

(Oh, and before someone inevitably tells me that there are no OTC rifle elk tags, because someone always does, please see page 36 here.)

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 23, 2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old August 23, 2016, 02:34 PM   #2
FITASC

Lived in Rifle/Parachute decades ago; was just through there in June on a long road trip. Lots of deer up Parachute way in the mountains; saw scores of them on the dirt roads.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 23, 2016, 07:40 PM   #3
jmr40

It's been a year or more since I looked into it, but at that time roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the state had OTC tags for the late seasons. Not in the prime areas and none in early seasons. I can't help you with specifics, but they are available. I hunted unit 4 in 2010, that is a little north of Rifle. In fact most of the guys I know who have hunted there have been in the NW quadrant of the state. The guys I went with all wanted deer tags so that is what I did too. I decided then that I'd not go that far again unless it was for elk.

Unfortunately life keeps getting in the way. I have an elderly mother that requires a lot of my time and with her health I can't really plan long term. I had planned on a last minute trip buying OTC if mom's health is holding this year, but the $3000 for a new transmission 2 weeks ago ruined that.

If you archery hunt you can hunt most of the state and most of September with OTC tags. That was my plan for this year.
Old August 24, 2016, 02:39 PM   #4
AllenJ

Congrats Brian on getting to realize a dream! I've been going to CO since the 90's for elk but unfortunately we hunt the southwest area, San Juan National Forest, and now I'm lucky enough to be able to hunt private land north of Bayfield. If you'd consider hunting unit 74, 2nd season I'll do what I can to provide you with detailed maps on areas we've hunted in the past with success?
Old August 24, 2016, 02:51 PM   #5
MarkCO

It is all about scouting. It takes me about a week in an area to get to know it well enough to know the movements. Yes, there are always the chance encounters and areas that just look good, but time in the unit pays off. If you can get 2 or 3 days ahead of your season in the unit, it will help.

I have killed more elk than years I have hunted, and the vast majority of them have been at least 1/2 mile from any road where other hunters won't or can't get to. The herds have been changing habits a lot in the last few years as we have changed from drought to more normal. More water means more places to hunt in most units.
Old August 24, 2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

AllenJ,

Thanks, I appreciate that very much. Unit 74 is well within hunting distance for me. I'll shoot you a PM with my email.

MarkCO,

I will have some scouting time myself but I also have the advantage of a very good friend who has hunting out there many years and has literally pointed on maps and said "Park here, walk from here until you get to here, look right, climb the big tree..."

I'm really chomping at the bit to get out there.
Old August 24, 2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Chaz88

Quote:
I also have the advantage of a very good friend who has hunting out there many years
If your friend knows land owners you could ask about getting one of the land owners tags. I know they used to be allowed to give them away and it might get you on better hunting.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old August 24, 2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My friend never hunted private land, only National Forest. Mostly in the south east part of Grand Mesa NF.
Old August 24, 2016, 04:13 PM   #9
Chaz88

Quote:
My friend never hunted private land, only National Forest.
Too bad. If I ever move back to Colorado I will look you up and see about going with my dad and his elk hunting crowd. They hunt a draw area but the owner sometimes has extra tags.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old August 24, 2016, 04:24 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My friend's #1 spot that he's sending me to is ~3/4 mile from any road, and that road is a one that most folks think is inaccessible private property because it's got a gate. It's not though, it was gated off by a gas company or something and untouched now for years. I can't remember exactly what he told me.