The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1
31kilo

Ithaca

My favorite shotgun, and ugliest blanket!

Old June 2, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2
kozak6

Ooh, a police/riot model.

I love the Ithaca 37. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
Old June 2, 2010, 07:34 AM   #3
kx592

I second that, My buddy has one but alot older and rusty'er but that things has no problems at all. Smoothest action ive felt in any number of shotguns ive used. I would buy one in a heart beat but already have to many to begin with
Old June 2, 2010, 12:04 PM   #4
mothermopar

I've been wanting a model 37 8-shot for sometime!

BTW: that's a nice feminine blanket... LOL
Old June 2, 2010, 12:37 PM   #5
31kilo

Thanks for the comments it was my grandfathers he had put the Pachmeyer cruiser kit on it (pistol grip) and somehow we lost the original walnut, believe me it was VERY hard to find original wood. He bought it in the late 70's or early 80's and it will slam fire. I believe they called the finish satin nickel...
Old June 2, 2010, 09:43 PM   #6
SoberSunday01

My brother's friend has an Ithaca 37. He told me can hold the trigger and pump and every time he pumps it will fire. Is this true for all Ithaca 37's or only the police/riot versions?
Old June 2, 2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Scrapperz

Quote:
My brother's friend has an Ithaca 37. He told me can hold the trigger and pump and every time he pumps it will fire. Is this true for all Ithaca 37's or only the police/riot versions?
They repeat nicely, I could shoot faster than my cousin with a semi-auto.
Old June 2, 2010, 09:50 PM   #8
31kilo

It's true for most early models at some point...maybe 68? They dropped the slam-fire capability on all except the police models.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:25 PM   #9
30-30remchester

I have studied gun design for 45 plus years and have always thought well of the model 37. I believe its appearence is the reason for their lack of popularity. The only weak point is the lifter-elevator. A few have failed and are just bent tin. They could be beefed up easily. Other than that they are milled steel, no post metal casting or plastic. Ithica shoot itself in the foot by not improving its apearence. First off get rid of the screws on the reciever, these hold the elevator inplace and could easily be built to be internally held. Then polish the reciever, they dont put the finish work into their final step that other compedators do. Compare an OLDER 870 Remingtons reciever to an Ithica and you will see the difference. Then I cant hit this too lightly, GET RID OF THAT HIDEOUS ROLL ENGRAVING ON THE RECIEVER. My god it looks like a kids toy.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Hog Buster

Been hunting with a pair of Ithaca Model 37s, a 12 and a 20, for over 60 years. Never a misfire and never an ejection problem....... as a matter of fact no problems of any kind.

None of the ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits, and others killed with them ever complained about the engraving on ‘em or thought that they were toys.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:43 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

Hog Buster you have to get one in 16ga. it happens to be the best upland game gun made. Easy to carry, very fast on the swing, and won't beat you like a 3 inch 20 magnum.
Old June 4, 2010, 10:03 AM   #12
Hog Buster

Jaguarxk120

Had a 16 gauge, never used it much, sold it, sorry I did now. All of my 37s are BM (before magnum), I never really saw any use for other than standard shells.

I posted a while back to see if anyone had one of the newer model 37s and got no response. I guess Ithaca is still one of the best kept secrets in the shotgun world.
Old June 12, 2010, 10:54 AM   #13
31kilo

Allright it took a little longer than expected but I thought I would show ya'll what I did with the Pachmeyer pistol Grips that came off my gramps old shotgun,

The nice walnut furniture ended up being almost impossible to find, however I did find a guy cleaning out some old police issue Ithaca Rec.'s with everything except barrel, I tried to buy just the wood but he wanted same price with or w/out the rec.(hell with that), just so happened he had one left with walnut foregrip and buttstock. Papo's shottie is wearing those, and his old pachmeyers well they went on the the old police issue rec. The barrel was almost as hard to find as the furniture, it's a 20" deerslayer barrel. I will get a Masen buttstock with pistol grip for it some time in the future( like Benelli sorta) still not a fan of the pistol grip plus with the rifle sights on this it may be pretty good slug gun.

If you can't read the Rec. it says UNION POLICE #8 Union Police dept NJ and yes she is a slam fire model.