The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
willmc33

Opinions on a trade..HK USP Compact 40 for Glock 23?

I have somebody looking to trade me a HK USP Compact .40 with 2 magazines and night sights for my Glock 23 .40 with 4 magazines, night sights and a Insight M3 LED tactical light. I know HK's are a more exspensive gun and I used to own a full size .40 that I didnt care for because I didnt like how I shot with it. However I have always chalked it up to that peticular gun and didnt stain all HK's because of it. With that said I feel I have a good package going with the G23. I do have children and like the idea of the safety that HK has versus the Glock that doesnt. The HK is is very good condition but so is my Glock. The G23 has alittle more barrel then the USP Compact but its alittle less then 1/2" so the difference should be extremely minimal. I am on the fence on this trade because although HK's do cost more new my Glock 23 does have alot with it. Is the HK so much more refined to warrant the extra cost? Opinions here GREATLY appreciated.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
BarryLee

First, I do understand what you mean when mentioning the advantage of the manual safety with children in the house. However, this really should not be a consideration as the kids should not have access to your gun regardless of the model. Again, I understand your logic and am not trying to “beat you up” just saying that would not be a good reason to trade.

Secondly, I own a full-size USP and two GLOCKS and while the HK is a very nice gun the GLOCKS also have a lot going for them. I really like the way my USP .40 shoots and feel it tames the infamous “snappy” nature of the .40S&W.

Anyway, just my two cents worth and there is no real right or wrong answer, so just do what feels right to you.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 10, 2012, 03:48 PM   #3
MLeake

What trigger does the HK have? Friends who own USP .40 Compacts have the LEM version (short reset), and like it a lot. That is not the only possible trigger, though.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
willmc33

Its a Variant 1. I keep my pistols in a safe but just as a added precaution I do like the addition of a safety as just another measure.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Single Six

I'd say hurry up and make the trade before Cheapshooter finds out about it.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Dashunde

Even though I'm a Glock fan I'd have to bite on a HK compact in my favorite caliber in a trade for a G23.

Quote:
I do have children and like the idea of the safety that HK has versus the Glock that doesnt.
Quote:
I keep my pistols in a safe but just as a added precaution I do like the addition of a safety as just another measure.
I doubt a safety lever will be your salvation after they've gotten into/through a safe??

Although after more thought I'm guessing your talking about one of them grabbing it off the table or some other quick manuever.

Last edited by Dashunde; December 10, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old December 10, 2012, 06:07 PM   #7
BGutzman

On a dollar per dollar basis the average USP is a lot more expensive than a Glock... Id trade in a heart beat in your situation....
Old December 10, 2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Sparks1957

Quote:
for harboring the notion that a safety can/will save your kids, or someone elses, from your lack of securement
I have to say that line of thinking is faulty, too. It doesn't matter what the gun is, if little ones can get to it there's a problem.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:15 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Friends who own USP .40 Compacts have the LEM version (short reset)
This is a bit misunderstood.

The LEM doesn't really have any shorter reset than the standard DA/SA trigger (in fact in most cases I've tried it's a tiny bit longer). It is a much shorter reset than a true DAO and many are very happy with it.

I'm not a huge fan of the 40SW but that seems like a good trade either way. I've found the 40SW to be relatively softer in HKs than some other manufacturers' offerings.

I do think the USP compact is a true "end of world" gun . The thing feels as solid as anything else out there and are usually boringly reliable.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 10, 2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Nanuk

I carried an H&K with the LEM for 10 years, 15,000 trouble free rounds I am an H&K armorer and I carry a Glock.

The H&K is a fantastic weapon, however, the Glock is smaller, lighter, carries more ammo, has a better trigger, has an aftermarket and for me shoots better.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:53 PM   #11
willmc33

Ok for all the people wanting to bash on me for saying I like the addition of a safety because I have children you need to read what I said. I said I like the ADDITIONAL feature. My children have no access to my guns but damn I like having the safety JUST IN CASE. If you think that is it absolutely impossible to get at your guns because you have them so safe then you have the faulty thinking. There is always a chance and anything is possible. I like a safety. If you dont fine. I keep my guns as safe as I possibly can and yes I like the safety as an ADDITIONAL means. I like magazine disconnect safeties for the same reason. If you dont then good for you but dont bash on me and say I am the loser who deosnt need guns because I do. Others comments are appreciated.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:01 PM   #12
BarryLee

Sorry, apparently you misunderstood my comment. The point I was attempting to make was that I personally would not trade just to get the manual safety. I was in no way insinuating that you were irresponsible, but if I gave that impressions than – I apologize.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 10, 2012, 08:03 PM   #13
willmc33

No Barrylee you were respectful with your comment.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Mercenary

Trade for it and I'll trade you my Shield for the USP
Old December 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #15
blackamos

I am a Glock fanboy! I love all my Glocks, that being said I would do the trade in a heartbeat.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:07 PM   #16
grey_pilgrim

Let me get this straight:

1) You like the current gun you have
2) You have a good setup, with light, night sights, holsters, and four magazines

You are trading this gun for a gun which
1) Has a safety
2) Has only two magazines
3) You shot a similar version and didn't like it
4) Its 'refined'.

I have a USP. It's a fine gun, but not perfect. It can be limp wristed. The trigger isn't amazing (I'm thinking of upgrading to the match trigger). I feel like I don't shoot it as well as I could (but possibly that's just me making excuses). I have shot a glock. I did not like it. But since you like the glock, shoot it well, and have the accessories....i would not get the USP.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:03 AM   #17
Justice06RR

I've shot a Glock23 and currently own a Glock19. I would trade up instantly to a H&K USP.

Glocks are everywhere, H&K's are not. I would say they are more exotic and offer a few more features over the Glock.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:06 AM   #18
mes228

H&K

I've owned 5 H&K's. The only one I really liked was the 9mm Tactical (SE Model?) and the "H&K 45C Model". I had one with the LEM trigger and I would not give you a cup of warm spit for another. I'm told there are 2 versions of the LEM. Well I had the "bad one" and it made the USP just a large capacity double action only revolver. Just my opinion.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:21 AM   #19
Mrgunsngear

I have both of these guns... If I could only have one it would be the G23 because I shoot it better. The HK may be more 'valuable' on the market, but the G23 is more valuable on my hip
Old December 12, 2012, 09:53 AM   #20
Sarge

Quote:
The HK may be more 'valuable' on the market, but the G23 is more valuable on my hip
Agreed. The 23 is awfully hard to beat as an all-around carry gun.
Old December 12, 2012, 02:35 PM   #21
thedudeabides

I never owned an HK I liked to shoot. I've never owned a Glock I was disappointed with. At twice the price, I have no idea what the appeal of HK is over other German plastic guns and the Glocks... aside from being a favorite of the tacticool crowd.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:45 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
At twice the price, I have no idea what the appeal of HK is over other German plastic guns and the Glocks... aside from being a favorite of the tacticool crowd.
Yup that's the only reason I own mine, to be tacticool. It's funny you say that, as usually the guy next to me at the range with a Glock has just about every aftermarket part you can order (and the obligatory punisher symbol) .

Different guns for different people. I like HKs because I like DA/SA guns and prefer polymer for carry. I've tried Beretta options and FNh options but the size of some of the HKs is preferable for me for carry. I try not to rag on any group of gun owners (that first paragraph is called sarcasm). I always encourage others to do the same. We all share the same hobby.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 13, 2012, 07:15 AM   #23
mes228

Glock

I too carry the Glock 23, however I load it with Glock 22 mags. I fill the "gap" where the Model 22 mag extends beyond the grip with a plastic "collar" made for that purpose. This gives you a 16 round .40 caliber in a 9mm compact size pistol. I'd carry something better and have tried, and tried, and tried, with numerous pistols. I've not found it yet.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:27 AM   #24
Strafer Gott

HK, lieber mann!

I'd go with the HK. I like both brands, but the USP does change the character of recoil. I think it helps with calibers over 9mm. They aren't cheap, but they are good. I see most of them priced around 750 US dollars, and they don't lay there very long. Trade away.