The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2011, 09:10 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Powder burns

Two out of four times that I have been to the range, holes were found in nearly new clothes after they were washed. I cannot think of a cause other than shooting. Does this sound like some like burning ejecta being blown back out of my 18.5 inch barrel and if so what can be done about it? All I can think is to change the ammunition, if that is part of the cause, until I get a longer barrel. The range master advises that clothing is mandatory.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; January 30, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:23 PM   #2
pabuckslayer08

What gun is it and what ammo, Ive heard of it with a flintlok but never a shotgun. Thats odd?
Old January 30, 2011, 09:28 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

It's a nearly new Remington 870 with an 18.5 inch barrel. The only time I ever saw anything like it before was from barbequeing and it is possible that the grill was the source of these holes.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I suspect the grill. I've done lots of shooting with short barrelled shotguns and lack holes in my togs.

I have had some paper wadding from a ML shotgun land on my arm, but not with modern ammo.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:31 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

I suspect you guys are right and its not from shooting. At least I can tell the boss that I asked and its not shooting. (She is starting to gripe about time spent shooting or otherwise on the gun.)
Old January 31, 2011, 08:45 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

Gun powder will burn completely in about 18-22 inches of barrel. The expanding gases work on the shot load for the rest of the barrel.

I go with the BBQ sparks or maybe acid rain?
Old January 31, 2011, 10:58 AM   #7
sirsloop

I've shot thousands of rounds of 7.62x54R out of my massive fireball producing M44 Mosin Nagant and have never had burned clothing. I've shot thousands of rounds out of my 870 without ever seeing muzzle flash, and certainly no holes in clothing. Its gotta be something else. All of the burning powder is being blasted away from the shooter, not towards.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:03 PM   #8
zippy13

Like Dave McC, I've shot a lot of targets over a lot of years and never had a powder burn hole; but, my barrels are longer. Every now and then, if the wind is right, you might get a particle in the eye that feels like it's burning. Are you, or your squad mates smoking while shooting? And, there's the possibility that a gun solvent spray might attack a synthetic fabric.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:12 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

No, Zippy. No one is smoking or using any solvents any where near me and the ammo has all been the standard Federal bulk back, some low recoil AA, Remington game load, and Winchester Super-Target (not the bulk pack stuff). I would have thought I or someone shooting with me would have noticed if barrel residue was blowing back. Sonds like that one of those characters from Lil Abner's Dog Patch.

Tags
holes in clothes