The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 8, 2009, 09:31 AM   #1
chadflys

Off to pick out my New Ruger MkIII...Which Red Dot???

Hey everyone, Thanks for all the feed back on my last thread. Its been fun reading from everyones experience and opinions. It sounds like the ruger is going to be the best for the money. I'll just have to get a trigger job eventally when I step up to competition. My question now is which red dot does the trick. I've looked at a few and some are expensive some are not, some are small and some are not. The smaller ones seem to be the least expensive and most complimentery to the MkIII 5.5 bull. Any inputs on this as well are greatly appreciated.
Chad
Old January 8, 2009, 02:21 PM   #2
melchloboo2

Chad-
1. Until you get a Valquartsen sear installed, it will make no difference which dot you use. As soon as you can hold the black of a b-8 at 25 yards, you are ready for the VQ sear.
2. Have you tried shooting with iron sights?
3. Save up for an ultradot.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
chadflys

VG sear

Looks like I have some lingo to learn. What is a VQ sear?
Chad
Old January 8, 2009, 04:12 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

VQ=Volquartsen
https://www.volquartsen.com/product/...or-ruger-mkiii

I have been told they are amazing but I've never bought one since they currently run half of what I was able to buy my MK III for a while back.

I have a BSA red dot on my MK III and it's not "bullseye pistol" level but it sure works well for my level of .22 shooting.
Old January 8, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5
melchloboo2

The factory trigger on the mkIII is about 6 lbs. Bullseye allows a trigger pull of 2lbs. for the .22 stage, and most competitors shoot as close to 2# as they can. A .45 I think the rule 3.5 or maybe 3.

If you simply replace the sear (the part that ultimately releases the hammer) with the VQ part you will close to 2#. Most people replace the trigger with the VQ trigger as well.

As I say, a good rule of thumb is to install the sear when you can hold the black b-8 at 25 yards.

If you don't have access to someone else's target pistol, the best way to understand the difference trigger weight makes is to go to a gunshop and ask someone to show you the difference between a revolver in double action mode versus the same revolver in single action mode.
Old January 8, 2009, 06:49 PM   #6
chadflys

vg sear

Wow, that website has some cool stuff. I didn't know that gun could be that hopped up. This is going to be fun. After I master the iron sights of course.

Thanks

Chad
Old January 11, 2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Citizen Carrier

Ultradots are the accepted ultimate for bullseye shooting. I used one for a few seasons until for some reason the rheostat lost all of it's click adjustments.

I started using a Millet red dot. Frankly, I think it is every bit as good as the Ultradot, but much cheaper. Mine's mounted on my Pardini.

A lot of conventional wisdom says shoot with the iron sights until you plateau with that, then go to the red dot.

I didn't spend a lot of time with iron sights. I dabbled around with High Standards, until I got sick of jams. A S&W 2206. Then I went Ruger and red dot.

My scores improved with the red dot. Way I see it, I could just as easily learn trigger control, grip, etc. with a red dot on top of the pistol as with iron sights. And with a red dot, I only had to put the dot on the target and put everything else into motion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you are going to compete with a red dot, then start shooting with a red dot.

This places me at odds with conventional wisdom, but if red dots are the superior sighting system, what is to be gained by shooting with anything besides the best you can use?
Old January 12, 2009, 06:13 PM   #8
73flyby

My vote is for the Ultra DOT. If you shop for it online I think you can find it for about $150 or less (they have gone up cosiderably in the last year). You might even be able to find one used. I've never had a problem with mine, and the batteries last forever.

Using a red dot will make you a better shooter. You will better be able to see your movements and how good trigger contol affects your shot. It's altogether a different game than using open sights.
Old January 12, 2009, 06:27 PM   #9
darkgael

red dots

I started with an UltraDot. They are great sights. I have opted over the last couple of years to save a few ounces and went to a small reflex - see my post in your other thread.
And, yes, the VQ sear does wonders...and you can DIY.
Pete
Old January 12, 2009, 11:20 PM   #10
chadflys

Darkgael and 73flyby

What barrel length are you using and why....
Chad
Old January 13, 2009, 07:05 AM   #11
darkgael

Barrel

Chad: About barrel length. My Ruger Mk.II Gov't came with a 6 7/8" barrel. With an Ultra Dot on it, and me a new shooter (new to competition) I found it too heavy. I had it cut down to five inches. Now, years later, I'm sorry that I did. I'd like to have that sight radius back for the times when I'm shooting matches with iron sights.
My H-S Victor has two barrels, one has a Dot on it and is five inches long (a Falcon barrel) the other, the original steel barrel is the same length and has the factory irons. The Victor is a heavier gun than the Ruger - with a much better trigger.
Pete
Old January 13, 2009, 02:25 PM   #12
73flyby

My Ruger Competition has the 6-7/8 barrel. It was my first target style pistol, and I considered the sight radius as an advantage for open sights. I didn't have enough experience with it to know that the extra weight would be a detriment, especially with the addition of the red dot. But I won't have it cut it down. It has a purpose, but I think that purpose is better suited for open sight shooting. When I'm really compelled to deal with the weight issue, I'll get another pistol. And I'll likely keep the Ruger, at least until I'm convinced that I won't be shooting open sights any more.
Old January 15, 2009, 04:07 AM   #13
bmw2

I use a millet and have been very happy with it and the $50 it cost me. On a side note, anybody know where to get a holster for a ruger with a red dot?
Old January 19, 2009, 06:38 PM   #14
mstuhr

Bushnell Sportsman

Hi Chadfly,
There is a fellow on the S&W forum classifieds that just dropped a Bushnell Sportman red dot down to 35.00 shipped.
These are a smaller 1" sight and of good quality.
It is smaller and lighter than a lot of the other dots sights.
The down side is that it has a little less field of view than some.
They make a great bullseye sight.
Good luck
Mike

1/20/09
I just left S&W forum and above dot sight is listed as "SOLD"

Last edited by mstuhr; January 20, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 05:38 PM   #15
kle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73flyby
My Ruger Competition has the 6-7/8 barrel. It was my first target style pistol, and I considered the sight radius as an advantage for open sights. I didn't have enough experience with it to know that the extra weight would be a detriment, especially with the addition of the red dot. But I won't have it cut it down. It has a purpose, but I think that purpose is better suited for open sight shooting. When I'm really compelled to deal with the weight issue, I'll get another pistol. And I'll likely keep the Ruger, at least until I'm convinced that I won't be shooting open sights any more.
The heavier barrel will help to absorb some of the recoil, even with a red-dot sight on top. Yes, even a .22 has recoil. More than that, the heavier barrel will absorb some of the forces of the bolt slamming back and forth in the Ruger--if you shoot enough, you can feel this on every shot; you can also feel when the bolt doesn't close, either after the last round or if there's been a jam.

That said, my Ruger KMK678GC (stainless "Competition Target" model w/ slab-side 6-7/8" bull barrel) is still pretty heavy with a dot on top...almost heavier than I'd like. My Ruger MK512 (blued "Target" model w/ 5-1/2" bull barrel) is probably better-suited to having a red-dot mounted (or really, better balanced all-around).
Old January 24, 2009, 02:38 PM   #16
RV4driver

I tried various red-dots, finally settled on the Ultra-dot MatchDot.
Finally happy with a red dot sight now.

Should have spent the money in the first place.

Jeff