The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 22, 2014, 07:55 PM   #51
ohiosam

Must have been gun grabbers before 1787 or the Founders wouldn't have thought to included it in the Bill of Rights.
Old February 22, 2014, 08:37 PM   #52
Lucas McCain

I had a copy of Sports Afield magazine dated 1939 and there was an article in it about the various groups and political factions that were against the second amendment. It was quite an article about the dangers of Nazi's and Facists and all the various world problems at that time. They put a huge importance on the need for militia's.
Old February 23, 2014, 09:00 PM   #53
Slotback

David Kopel's book The Samurai, The Mountie and The Cowboy is a excellent read on gun (weapon) control in different parts of the world-especially from a historical context. So much of it having to do with the individual culture.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:54 AM   #54
Rifleman1776

The anti-gun, or anti-weapon in the hands of the ordinary citizen, began back in mediva/feudal times. The concept of a right of the average citizen to have weapons for personal defense began in the 1600s in the New World, America. The antis are still with us.
Old February 24, 2014, 03:56 PM   #55
44 AMP
Staff

One thing to remember about gun control in the past, (or swords/crossbows..)
it was about the group in power wanting the arms out of the hands of specific groups of people (the ones they didn't want capable of resistance).

Generally they were fine with guns in the private hands of the people on their side. Or allowed them anyway, within a regulated system. For those of proven loyalty/acceptable politics/religion/ethnicity, etc.

Today (and in the recent past) the focus is on getting the guns out of the hands of EVERYONE, because of the "harm" that they do. Police, military and private security get exceptions.

The Crown isn't trying to take your fowling piece because they are worried you are shooting Redcoats with it. They want it because its "bad" and causes "gun violence".

I see that as a significant difference.

you may argue that the change in focus is merely a change in tactics, but I would say that the change is fundamental, and is the origin and identifying feature of "modern" gun control.
Old March 2, 2014, 12:36 PM   #56
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

In 1547 a German archbishop declared that rifles were the work of the devil. To prove his point he had two marksmen fire 20 rounds, one of lead balls, the other of silver balls stamped with a cross and blessed by a priest. The silver Holy balls all missed the target, proving him correct. He declared that anyone who makes a rifle is to be burned at the stake.

Tales of The Gun-bullets and ammo. 6:10 minute mark
Old March 2, 2014, 12:51 PM   #57
Mainah

Both Ronald Reagan (then Gov. of CA) and the NRA supported gun control measures after the Black Panthers started using guns as a means of defense, and as a pr tool. Things change, the great thing is that our rights do not change. Fascinating thread.
Old March 2, 2014, 02:12 PM   #58
thallub

After armed Black Panthers entered the legislature in a peaceful demonstration, members of that body became really scared. The result was the Mulford Act that Reagan signed into law. i don't remember the NRA supporting the Mulford Act; but it may have.

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist/RT.../BGY506180077/

"Gun owners champion" is a myth.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:11 PM   #59
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster
Well, as Smedley is my favorite Marine (sorry Chesty), I'm not so sure he had ill-intent when speaking of nationalizing ammunition manufacture. Just going off the top of my head without doing further research, I would imagine that to be an extension of his overall view of the military-political machine. He knew all about it before Ike referred to it as the military-industrial complex decades later. An ardent big business foe regarding war profiteering, I don't believe his intent was to restrict an individual rights. Needless to say, Congress liked big business, not Smedley Butler. I'll have to reread his Congressional testimony.
I was always partial to Dan Danly myself.

That being said, based on what I've read of General Butler, he didn't have much to say regarding domestic ammunition manufactures. Most of his ire was directed at big armament type guys.

However, that didn't stop from assorted progressives of the time trying to tie that into nationalizing the ammunition industry, which is most definitely a form of gun control.