The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2007, 10:20 PM   #1
enstorm

RCBS Little Dandy powder measure

I've toyed with the idea of getting one of these since there is a baffle available for 6.9 grains of power pistol which is what I use for my .40. Does anybody have experience with this powder measure and what do you think?
Old February 11, 2007, 01:28 AM   #2
glockopop

Here's the inherent flaw: The Little Dandy and one rotor costs 41.98 from Midway. With one rotor you can only load whatever that particular rotor meters. Want another caliber or powder? That'll be another 10 bucks. Another? 10 bucks. The Uniflow powder measure costs $62.99 and can be set up to meter just about anything as it is.

I'd be a lot more interested in the Little Dandy if it were more cost-effective. Reloaders are notoriously cheap. We're talking about the kind of people who melt down old wheel weights and make bullets out of them!
Old February 11, 2007, 07:19 AM   #3
MADISON

Little Dandy question

The powder measure INDUSTRY STANDARD is to down-size the throw by 11%. After 37 years in reloading I know that to get the load you want requires you, sometimes, to go up two disks.
Old February 11, 2007, 10:06 PM   #4
kart racer

I use a little dandy for all my pistol stuff,since I reload on a single stage.I have bought several small size rotors for a bargain and drilled them to throw whatever weight I wanted.

If you look around you can find rotor cheap.If you're gonna do pistols and rifles go with the uniflow.

I bought 4 rotors for 3.00 a piece,bargains are around if ya look.
Old February 11, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5
cheygriz

I much prefer the Redding measures, but I have used a little dandy in the past, when I loaded on a single stage press, and I was very well satisfied with it.
Old February 12, 2007, 07:54 AM   #6
240wby

Little Dandy

The Little Dandy was the standard powder measure that RCBS used on an in-line progressive machine called "The Green Machine". We would take whatever rotor came with these machines and make them adjustable by boring to the maximum size and threading the hole. Then would build a threaded wafer with a screwdriver slot to run inside the hole. Adjustments are done thru the discharge hole. Blue locktite on the threaded wafer keeps everything stable.

Good Shooting.
240 wby
Old February 12, 2007, 10:45 AM   #7
JoeHatley

I've used the Little Dandy for all my handgun calibers for almost 30 years.

I love it...

Joe
Old February 12, 2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Jbar4Ranch

I have two Little Dandy measures, and two complete sets of 28 rotors from #00 to #26 that I pieced together off eBay for a very reasonable price. I've also got a few spare rotors that I use for custom measures by gluing a piece of dowel into or a few drops of JB Weld in the bottom. I use it a LOT for handgun cartridges, and especially for black powder handgun cartridges.

SASS 47015
Old February 13, 2007, 12:46 AM   #9
enstorm

Sounds like the people who use it like it, then. Thanks for the replies
Old February 13, 2007, 08:22 AM   #10
FM12

I use a similar type made in the sixties by the "Bair" company. You can use each rotor for any powder, just have to weigh the new powder to see what it measures. Write these down as you try each powder..Weigh a few each time you start to load to insure accuracy, and also after opening a new container of powder. I usually set up how ever many cases I have to fill and do them all at once. Be SURE to check the level in each case before you load to make sure of no empty case and no double charges. Both of these conditions are severe accidents just waiting to happen! Try to use a powder that will overflow if you dump a double charge. Some powder types meter thru better than others, and some are more consistent than others. Be careful about using any rotor (not baffle) that throws a near-max load with a powder that is not consistent. Never use H110 or WW 296 in 38 special cases or light loads in 357 magnum, you'll get squib loads that lodge the bullet in the barrel. TRUST ME ON THIS!! The democrats are back in power...got hi-cap mags?Support the NRA.
Old February 13, 2007, 11:52 PM   #11
enstorm

FM12, I agree about those disasters waiting to happen. In fact, I don't use loading blocks, mainly for the reasons you say. One at a time almost (but not quite!) eliminates a no charge/double charge. And I don't really lose any significant time doing it that way, at least I don't think... By the way, I was in my "10s" in the sixties, and I don't remeber hearing about Bairs. Herters? Anything "model perfect" in guns and archery I wanted in a big way!
Old February 14, 2007, 10:53 AM   #12
FM12

Enstorm: 10-4 on the Herter's model perfect and model superior...the Bair company was bought out by someone else< I think, perhaps Pacific...these work really well, though...my rotors are marked in grains of Bullseye, ie 2.5, 3.0 3.5, etc. Everything works pretty well thru it, except of course, Unique, which I use the most!