The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 1999, 10:48 PM   #1
stinx

I have a brand new beretta model 96 centurion that consistently wont feed ammo from the mag. What happens is when you send the slide forward,it strips off a round from the mag. the round then moves forward,hits the feedramp and then goes nose up. The bullet then gets stuck against the top of the chamber. sometimesif i push on the rear of the slide it will chamber the round. Most times however it will not. anybody have any sugestions to the cause.

I ahve tried several mags,including ones iknow work ok and the gun still jams
Old December 18, 1999, 11:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You don't indicate what ammo you are using or if you have tried various brands. Bullet shape is critical in feeding. Also, check to see if the breech face is rough or for some reason isn't allowing the base of the case to ride up.

Jim
Old December 19, 1999, 08:24 PM   #3
stinx

The gun does it with 165 grn win clean ball ammo. we have several other model 96s that feed everything fine. including various hoolowpoints and abll ammo.
Old December 19, 1999, 10:21 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Stinx, I think Jim is on the right track. If the mags work fine in other guns it is probably the breech face or extactor. George