The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2005, 12:41 AM   #1
ron73644

Remington 870

I have always thought about getting an 870, but just never had gotten one. I have heard that the Express is ok mechanically but rough on the finish. I have always liked the wood on a shotgun, but in this case, if I get one, I am thinking about the synthetic stock and forearm ( I guess I could always refinish the wood). Anyway, I don't want camo so I guess that leaves me with a choice of black matte or blue matte for the metal. If the mechanics are supposed to be the same as on a Wingmaster, then the synthetic stock, and say, black matte finish, should be all right. Duhh--what do you all think? I know it won't be pretty, but I didn't want it to look rough.
Old November 7, 2005, 01:13 AM   #2
ShottyTim

well to answer your question, most exaggerate about the finish on the 870 express, while its not a thing of beauty or a vault queen, its as functional as you can get, the wingmaster is a gorgeous gun but also with a "gorgeous" price, if its about the money just get the express, believe me it is soo functional, inmho the best pump out there, it is the only firearm i currently own and im happy with something built like a sherman tank. I recently sent mine off to macs shootin irons to be refinished with gunkote, he strips off all the blueing, parkerizes it then applies gun kote the only coating to be approved by the navy and other miltaries, i just got it back and i had it finished in od green and i have the synthetic stocks, man is this thing beautiful now, just my 2 cents and hope the likes of dave Mcc and Xavierbreath can help you out.

Tim

meaning come and get them
Old November 7, 2005, 01:35 AM   #3
ron73644

Thanks Tim!!
Old November 7, 2005, 04:50 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

In the real world, the biggest difference between the Express and WM is the Express takes a little more cycling to get smooth.

I prefer wood to plastic for the furniture. It's easier to modify, quieter in the woods and feels less frigid on a frigid morn. But, if it speaks to you, plastic is OK.

Esthetics are quite personal. Get the one that pleases you and BA/UU/R.

HTH....
Old November 7, 2005, 02:57 PM   #5
coolridelude

shottytim, what about pics.
Old November 7, 2005, 03:24 PM   #6
rellascout

Are you looking for a NIB or used. I see great looking quality Wingmasters all theim time in local pawn shops for came pricethat you can buy a NIB Express. Nothing wrong with the express but for the same money I personally would take an older Wingmaster.

The wingmaster will cycle smoother.
Old November 7, 2005, 06:24 PM   #7
ShottyTim

Ill get on those pics as soon as I get home, currently in ft collins, hope you guys like what my 870 looks like now!!!

meaning come and get them
Old November 8, 2005, 05:35 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

Ron,

To me, pretty is as pretty does. I stopped worrying about polished blued steel and pretty wood a couple of decades ago. Still have some, note, but don't insist on it any more.

It's a matter of personal taste. If you WANT shiny blue and pretty wood, get a Wingmaster. Nothing woring with that, if you need to hide it in the field or blind just give the wood and metal a coat of Johnsons Paste Wax, and let it dry overnight without polishing. It'll be dull for the field and when you get it home all you have to do is polish it and it'll be shinier than before. Plus it will be better protected against rust also.

You can make a shiny gun dull but it's hard to make a dull gun shiny...

lpl/nc
Old November 8, 2005, 07:47 AM   #9
ron73644

Thanks, Lee. I appreciate the tip.
Old November 8, 2005, 08:59 AM   #10
DocFox

ron73644... You might also look at the 870 Tactical (OD green, synthetic pistol grip stock) Or the 870 Marine Magnum (which was my choice) with its Marine Coat (looks like brushed stainless) and synthetic. The marine Magnum is extremely resistant to corrosion and IMHO an excellent shotgun.
Old November 8, 2005, 02:20 PM   #11
ron73644

Thanks--I have thought about that one, the marine magnum--would be nice.
Old November 19, 2005, 10:01 AM   #12
shooter01

870 Mag

Ron, go for the 870 Mag. There are other good machines out there, but you will likely find the Remington 870 Mag. the best damn value for money out there. I prefer the wood and refinished my own fore-end and stock[a joy to behold and a bigger joy to shoot!]Where I am from, shotguns are the only weapons allowed in the hunt. Here are some pointers you may find useful;
1] if you want a durable all purpose weapon, stay away from shotties that have overbored / light contour barrels
2] alot of those fancy artwork may make a nice ornament, but have little practical value - you want a gun, not jewelry.
3] avoid steel shot where possible or allowed
4] get a gun for which accessories and parts are easily available
5] have a full choke tube handy at all times
6] experiment with ammo to see which one your gun likes best; shotguns are terribly individual critters. My 870 loves Winchester and Eley ammo.
7] Always remember that huge payloads will not compensate for poor shooting skills.
8] Be safe and ENJOY the shooting sports. Be a good ambassador for them.
Old November 19, 2005, 12:29 PM   #13
ron73644

VERY good advice, Shooter01, and I appreciate it. I will remember. Thanks.
Old November 20, 2005, 01:49 AM   #14
SemperKnight

870s are awsome

I owned an 870 once and had it assulted for home defense and fun. plastic furniture. forward and aft pistol grips, fold over top metal butt, vented barrel guard, extended mag tube and long eternal adjustable choke. It was an awsomely intimidating looking weapon that shot excellently and with out fail always. I kick myself for ever selling it.
Old November 20, 2005, 02:10 AM   #15
F4GIB

I own a Marine Magnum. I've shot over 500 rounds (mostly dirty S&B buckshot) in the past week on a shotgun course. I just "cleaned" it. I use quotation marks because it was clean. Nothing stuck to the electroless nickel finish. I just had to wipe it down and it shone. Incredible!

P. S. I did however finally shoot off my replacement large front sight. Then with only the sight base as a reference point, I took out a plate at 50 plus yards. Luck on my part but performance on the Marine Magnum's.