The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2013, 09:46 AM   #26
skoro

I'm just a little concerned because this is my first experience with a firearm recall. Of course, I want my XDs to be as safe as it should be. But I'm not thrilled about finding a box, packing it up, then having to take a day off from work to receive it back again.
Old August 30, 2013, 10:51 AM   #27
tahunua001

skoro, you should be able to just pack it back in the pelican case that it came in and take it to UPS, I don't remember whether it was springfield or S&W but one of those companies has an agreement with UPS to handle all shipping fees with service returns... or at least they used to.
Old August 30, 2013, 11:26 AM   #28
skoro

Problem is, I don't have a box the pelican case will fit into. I'll just pack it well in whatever I have and send it back to them. But I'll have to take a day off work and be home to receive it, because FedEx states an adult signature is required for delivery.

I realize that there are sometimes teething problems with new products. Which is why I very rarely buy new firearms. The used ones I normally purchase don't have these issues.
Old August 30, 2013, 12:23 PM   #29
tahunua001

they should pack it for you.
again, I'm not sure whether it was springfield or S&W and it was a few years back but you pretty much take it to them and they'll pack it and ship it free.
Old August 30, 2013, 02:45 PM   #30
JustinBiscuit

has anyone had a serial number no affected by this. Every single person I know has
Old August 30, 2013, 03:03 PM   #31
tahunua001

well considering that the XDS has only been readily available for 10 months or so and the 9mm version has only been available for the last 2... I'm guessing it's all of them.
Old August 30, 2013, 04:11 PM   #32
Forrest68

I just packed mine in a small box, then went to FedEX and they bubble wrapped the small box and packed it into a FedEx med shipping box, for Zero cost. Hand the guy my shipping lable and off it went. I more apprehensive about the shipping than the recall really. I'll be happy when my little pistol is back where it belongs.
Old August 31, 2013, 08:32 AM   #33
Cemo

I bought 2 of them this year, my first venture with Springfield Armory. Now I gotta spend $40 in gas money to take them to the nearest shipping point from my home. Never had a recall of the 9 Glocks that I've purchased over the years. I can't find any magazines for the 9mm at my local stores or online neither. Wondering if the move to a Springfield Armory product was a good idea.
Old August 31, 2013, 09:22 AM   #34
DasGuy

Because Gen 4 Glocks were perfect when they came out.
Old August 31, 2013, 09:43 AM   #35
tahunua001

agree with dasguy.
everyone has had recalls at one point or another.

Glock recalled it's gen 4s
Ruger recalled pre-40s SR9 pistols
S&W recalled a number of their shields
Khar/auto ordnance have recalled a number of their gun if I remember correctly

this is the chance you take when you buy a brand new model. sometimes errors make it past testing.
Old August 31, 2013, 10:56 AM   #36
keithdog

I've been looking into small 9mm pistols for CC and am glad I havn't purchased anything yet. I guess I'll hold off a while and see what happens and get some feed back on the repairs. I'm in no hurry to make a purchase anyway. I still have my .40. Both the XDs and Shield were on my list of 4 I was interested in.
Old August 31, 2013, 06:31 PM   #37
mattamuskeet

HEY listen to this!

Today I went to fire my XDs 45 and the trigger was not reset. I had carried it all day and then when I went to fire it, the trigger was back. The chamber indicator was up and the magazine had 5 rounds in it. I dropped the mag and racked the slide and there was one in the chamber. I can't figure out how that could happen. My gun IS in the serial # range it is 663,000 something.

Maybe it has something to do with the recall???!?!?!?!?
Old September 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #38
Consort

Dropped my XDs .45 off a Fedex this afternoon. 23 miles to and 23 miles from the shipper. Biggest headache will be making sure an "adult" is home to sign for the package upon it's return. Sure wish they would ship to business addresses. I would just have it sent to my workplace.
Old September 1, 2013, 03:03 PM   #39
arizona98tj

Instead of guessing what the recall is all about, just go get the 1st hand facts from Springfield.
Old September 1, 2013, 05:47 PM   #40
3.Shot.Group.

Yep, when I called Springfield about my 1911 they had the message on their answering service.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:51 PM   #41
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
This Safety Recall applies only to:
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300.

This Safety Recall does not apply to any XD® or XD(M)® pistols.
Methods of shipping can be blamed on our government, not the firearm manufacturers. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcub
Springfield is still ignoring their xds elephant in the living room.
So, I guess going public voluntarily by posting online the recall, contacting all their distributors, and coughing up shipping BOTH ways isn't enough? I won't ask what is enough. I think we all know the answer.

Quote:
Many xds are failing to go into battery and have light off center primer strikes 5% of the time.
Really? Cite your sources for your assertion, then.

Quote:
Mine went back, they didn't fix it, I had to take a bath on that deal. Never again will I buy anything Springfield Armory because I know they won't stand behind their products.
Granted, you returned yours for them to fix for which you claim they didn't. That's all you're going to post before trashing a business? What do you mean, "they won't stand behind their products"? Should you mean, you won't return it a second time to get it fixed? Or, I'm sure you have proof they refuse to try to make their product right.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 2, 2013, 09:35 AM   #43
Shane Tuttle
Staff

The first two links are of the same video. The gal had problems with it, her boyfriend didn't. You can tell she also had to keep adjusting her grip from time to time. Just like the video's title, it isn't the gun, it's the person.

The third link appears to be several months old, before the recall. The recoil spring plate is as common as any other firearm. All of my XDs and 1911s have some sort of "scratches" as he claims to have on his. His paranoia of his spring popping out and injuring him is a load of crap to say the least.

The fourth link is over a year old. He also explained why in his opinion why the light primer strikes were happening. Another case of operator error.

The fifth vid is part one of the first two links. The husband concluded that his wife can't handle guns in a .45ACP cartridge. Again, this vid is before having the gun sent in. If you read the comments, they speak for themselves.

The sixth video is a guy constantly griping his gun has lube all over it. There's nothing here, AT ALL, about testing the gun for light primer strikes.

You know, I see a pattern here. You googled XD(S) problems and just pasted away without even analyzing the results. And this is how I believe you dreamed up the "5%" assertion.

It's pretty easy to do this with any gun and stake claim of problems. Glocks are one of the most reliable firearms made. But it doesn't take two minutes to find "malfunctions" with them...only to find out people are limpwristing them or using garbage ammo such as Tula.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 2, 2013, 06:22 PM   #44
tahunua001

date stamps aside I have to agree with shane... you have pretty much manufactured a serious problem where none exists and thrown out a bogus number. on top of that THERE IS STILL NO PROOF OF 5% FAILURE RATE!
Old September 2, 2013, 06:24 PM   #45
kcub

5% was my personal experience
Old September 2, 2013, 08:54 PM   #46
balyon85

Re: XDs Recall

I've had a 5% failure with my xds, when I first started reloading 45. Fixed the reloading issue and now no issue. Never had an issue with a factory round.

My only disapointment in all this is having to conceal a 4.5 xd9 now. Still love my Springfield xd's, and will buy an xds9 one day to go with my xd9 and xd45.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:31 PM   #47
SocialAnarchist

Painless recall procedure.

I have had mine for a couple of months, probably 200 rounds through it and not one single problem. This has not destroyed my faith in Springfield Armory as my Loaded 1911A1 has been 100% trouble free.
Old September 7, 2013, 06:52 PM   #48
dayman

I'm really glad I noticed this.

I for one am not upset with SA. I've carried and shot my xds on a regular basis since I got it without issue, and I'll carry it confidently as soon as it gets back. I just hope whatever was causing the problem wasn't the same thing that made the trigger so nice.
The timing's not bad either. My fall wardrobe is bulky enough that I'll be able to carry one of my bigger guns pretty easily.

A free mag - or even a sticker - would be pretty sweet though.

On a humorous note, I couldn't find the original box, so I briefly thought about shipping it back in a glock box. But, I found a little xd gear box from something or other that I'm going to use instead.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:54 PM   #49
IdahoG36

I just looked at their website, and the anticipated turn around time is one month. I mailed mine out on August 29th. That sucks.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:27 PM   #50
Forrest68

Well it does cover Total over 200,000 pistols, but a month. I was hopen for more like 2 weeks. Well that will give me time to get in some bullets and have plenty loaded up for its return.