The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 10, 2009, 07:20 PM   #51
wpcexpert

Antler restrictions can go either way. If you are killing the does, and letting the bucks walk, it works. If not, then it can hurt.

The 3 on one side rule is effective I think. 8 may be too much for state wide. With the 3 point rule, I got to tate this dude out of the herd. But he may have been able to be culled sooner if not for it.

Although I don't know if his jacked up hoof played a part in his lack of a rack.

I posted this one late last year.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=319581

Places along the South have way too many deer to be limiting the does. SC is does a decent job but still doesn't have enough doe days.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 10, 2009, 10:35 PM   #52
jhgreasemonkey

Washington state is a mess with game laws. We have 3 different species of deer here and the state is split into dozens of game management units. Each unit has its own rules and I'm pretty sure the boudaries were made by a mad man. They are all over the place and dont make any sense. Some examples of diffences between units are; any deer, buck only, 2 point or better mule deer only, 3 point or better mule deer or any whitetail buck, area closed for deer, etc. etc. It's kind of a pain in the butt because nothing is physically marked or posted, and they include private lands that would be illegal to hunt on in the area descriptions. Another problem we have is that the forests are used heavily by hikers, mountain bikers, mushroom pickers, etc. and they dont stay away when it is hunting season. We dont have the hunting opportunity on public land that our grandfathers had in their day.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:33 AM   #53
pilothunter

Thanks to all who took the time to post their opinions!!!