The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
D.Ogle

Remmington Model 11

I have a Remmington model 11,but the serial number dosn't go along with what I have read about them.It is stamped Remmington Arms Co. on the top left side of the reciever.Along with the Browning pat. dates.The serial number stamped on the bottom of the reciever at the front and rear of the loading port is 848,.From everything I have read this should at least be a five digit number. The safty is in the trigger guard in front.The barrel isn't the original,and the butt plate has no markings. Has not been ground and restamped.Can anyone ID this serial number?? ( also the firing pen is rectangular,and the wood appears to be original ) The gun was giving to me several years ago,by a friend.He didn't want it because he said it had a problem recyling after the first shot.I just put it in the gun cabinet and forgot about it,then the other I got to looking for info on it and learned about the friction rings.I took it apart,and found the rings were not properly set.I set them for havey loads #4 buck,and it shots like a champ.I did sand the wood today getting the years of nicks and dings out,but have not restained as of yet. Anyway I'am curious about the 3 diget serial number.

Last edited by D.Ogle; September 8, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
TheNatureBoy

Check out www.remingtonsociety.com
Old September 9, 2012, 03:35 PM   #3
impalacustom

I would love to see pictures of it. Something doesn't sound right if it is that low of a number. It shouldn't say anything on the receiver, as well as none of them that I have ever seen have the serial number stamped on the trigger guard (behind the loading port).
If you are referring to the info from James Tipton about the serial numbers when he says that the company started with 1000, then yes he is wrong as I have handled number 127.

Your shotgun would have been made in the first year which is 1905, but I wouldn't say that with 100% assurance since I can't see it, and there are a few things that don't sound right.
Old September 9, 2012, 04:40 PM   #4
D.Ogle

Thanks Nature Boy info I was looking for
Old September 9, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
D.Ogle

I tried to post pictures but it would not take them,Impalacustom,I didn't say it was on the trigger guard I said at the front and rear of the loading port.
Old September 9, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
D.Ogle

DSC03013.JPG

DSC03014.JPG

Best I can do.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:35 PM   #7
impalacustom

Ogle, that is one I have never seen before, normally the patent dates are on the barrel. The trigger guard is the only metal behind the loading gate. I am curious what is the brass looking thing below the serial. I would like to see pictures of the whole gun, receiver and all if you wouldn't mind. Here is what number 127 looks like, it has a buttplate that has horizontal lines in it and says "Remington" on top and "Arms Co" on the bottom. Does your bolt say model 11 or anything on it? They weren't called Model 11's until UMC bought out Remington in 1911 and before that they were just called Remington Autoloading Shotguns, they had 6 different grades of them as well.

If you were interested in selling it I might be interested in buying it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 127.jpg (111.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 127a.jpg (112.2 KB, 82 views)
Old September 10, 2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Salmoneye

The 'brass' thing, looks like the follower in the mag is protruding a bit...
Old September 10, 2012, 11:35 AM   #9
D.Ogle

DSC03043.JPG

DSC03042.JPGThe brass you see in the picture is the back end of a #4 buckshoot shell,the gun was loaded when that picture was taken(it was a spent shell,used to ck.feed,3 more behind it)nothing on the bolt.I'll try to get full pics. of the gun I have to get them resized to get them to post.There is no plastic on this gun it's all metal except for the wood.

Last edited by D.Ogle; September 10, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:21 PM   #10
D.Ogle

One More
DSC03050.JPG
Old September 10, 2012, 01:33 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

Before you go further with refinishing that stock, find out how it should be done so as not to adversely impact its value. I don't know what condition it was in before you began its refinishing, but often collectors prefer the seasoned look.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:06 PM   #12
impalacustom

That is a shooter, it has been reblued and restocked, as you said before rebarreled. Remington didn't put straight pistol grips on the gun until 1911 and after, which is when it was called the model 11. Also the stock should have "cheeks" on it.

Enjoy it and shoot it, just be careful of heavy loads and make sure you have the friction rings set right, also because if whoever reblued it didn't replace the fiber buffer (should be red if original) in the receiver you will end up hammering the bolt with the blind rivet in the back of the receiver.
Old September 10, 2012, 04:47 PM   #13
D.Ogle

Klawman ,I've taken it down to the natrual wood with 120,200 sandpaper,and finished it off with steel wool,and thats all I'am going to it.I'am not planing on saleing it.
Impalacustom I have the rings set for havey loads,as I said before it was given to me because it wouldn't recycle,and thats because the rings weren't set right.I took it out to my youngest sons shop,and rapid fired 4 #4 buckshot yesterday afternoon,and it functioned like a champ,(but it kicks like a mule,more than lkiely well put a recoil pad on it.) The fiber cushion appears to be in good condition.
Thank you all for your input.