The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
micmul1

Knight Wolverine 209

I am new to blackpowder shooting/hunting. I purchased a Wolverine 209 by Knight. I fired it several times yesterday at my "sight-in" and everything went well until my last attempted shot. I am using black powder FFg by Pyrodex (110 grains) and a number 11 percussion cap. I am also using a non-saboted lead projectile. My last shot misfired. I tried 4 more percussion caps in an attempt fire the weapon, but with no luck.
There is nothing in the Knight Rifle Instructions and Safety Manual that deals with a mis-fire. Evidently I own the only Knight rifle that is capable of a mis-fire. Can anyone instruct me in safely dealing with this issue?
My thanks in advance.
Mike
Old October 31, 2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Hawg

I don't know jack about inlines and don't want to but either the powder is contaminated with lube or the nipple is plugged. That is assuming the caps are firing.
Old October 31, 2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Pahoo

Hang-Fires and Mis-fires are more common in sidelocks than in-lines and that is why I found this post interesting. I am surprised that there is nothing in you manual on how to clear these. The Wolverine and American, are very much alike. It's always best to contact the manufacturer on problems like these. FIRST, contact Knight and see what they suggest; 1-866-518-4181

I'm sure by now, your vent is really plugged after the caps. Don't get me wrong, I'd do the same as you have done. The Remingtom website use to have a pretty good write-up on clearing mis-fires.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 31, 2010, 04:37 PM   #4
micmul1

Thanks for the info. I will contact Knight tomorrow. I just thot someone would have had a similiar problem.
Old October 31, 2010, 09:34 PM   #5
arcticap

Several procedures can be used to fire or to unload the gun. The first would be to clear the nipple using a nipple pick or a thin piece of wire to clear any obstruction in the nipple hole. Then recap and try to fire it off.
If that doesn't work then while always pointing the gun in a safe direction, remove the nipple and clean it out some more. At this point a few grains of powder can be dribbled into the empty nipple hole to enhance the ignition.
Then reinsert the nipple, recap and attempt to fire it off just like with any other percussion gun that has misfired.
If it still doesn't fire then the above procedure can be repeated until it's decided to push the entire load out of the barrel from behind using a thick wooden dowel, or a ramrod and a mallet if necessary.
That's just like the procedure for when a load needs to be removed from a revolver cylinder. Simply remove the breech plug and push the load out of the muzzle from behind.
Old November 11, 2010, 06:46 PM   #6
simonkenton

It isn't a big problem, misfires are common in muzzleloaders.
Of course, it would be a big problem if it happened while deer hunting.
You have a very good rifle, it is one of the great classic inlines.
Once you get this problem cleared up you will be a happy camper.