The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old November 24, 2006, 09:52 PM   #1
USMCGrunt

S.W.A.T. Showdown 1983...an update perhaps???

Yup, I'm old enough to remember when SWAT magazine had Chuck Taylor's opinions of the various rifles, shotguns and submachine guns in the 1983 SWAT Showdown edition. Of course I was still a kid when that magazine came out but to this day, I still have it and it's one of my favorite reads into the various blasts from the past on the subject. However, today, the 1983 version is going to be a bit dated. When it came to battle rifles, the FAL, Para-FAL, M-14, Garand, BM-59, G-3 and AR-10 (the original ones) were the only battle rifles listed. The Assault rifles, while some like the AK are still around, others have been updated (like the AR-15), some like the Valmet M-76 are no longer imported and some like the Leader T2 are just plain gone! How about a modern version of this old edition? In the battle rifle area we still have the FAL, M1A, Garand and HK but today we also have modern AR-10s, for example. In the lighter weight assault rifles, we have a lot of choices these days such as the AR-180B, FN's FS-2000 and SCAR, M-4s, M-16A2s and A4s, HK-93s and G-36s as well. The SMG section has also seen some updates over the years since then though not nearly as much as the assault rifles and the shotguns are also still going through updates that came along since 1983 to include the Mossberg M590, Benelli M1, M3 and Novas, Remington has come up with their modular shotguns as well as others that have come on the scene in the past 23 years. So do you think there's a chance we might see another "Showdown" issue again any time soon? I for one would think it's as good a time as any to see how the modern rifles stack up against one another.
USMCGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006, 09:54 AM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

We have considered doing this a few times. The main problem is getting only one sample of each type of firearm for the test. Ergonmic questions are easy, but to determine the "best" in terms of accuracy and reliability, more than a few of each type would have to be fired.
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006, 03:09 PM   #3
USMCGrunt

Yeah, I can see where that would be a problem. Too bad though. The 1983 SWAT Showdown was one of the best magazines I ever got my hands on and believe me, I've got quite a stack of magazines even to this day and that one issue is still my favorite one of the lot.
USMCGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2006, 12:52 AM   #4
gordo b.

What issue # is that? I may be able to find it . I also want to find the issue where Chuck shot windshields and Boat hulls with various calibers.VERY eye opening!
Denny; I sure do like your new issues- good luck to your monthly bill of fare!
I suggest a complete "Farewell to Jeff Cooper" memorial issue with all his germaine articles and commentaries on him by the columnists. I think you'd have to print double your normal volume for that collectors edition!
gordo b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2006, 07:57 PM   #5
gopguy

I remember those great pieces from the 80s too. Denny, any chance of re printing that 1983 Showdown issue?
gopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Reprinting them would actually be a disservice to our readers. The original print film is long gone and thus would require scanning. Even a high-resolution scan would not be up to our standards.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote