The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1
tranders

Load data for 32 S&W Long

Looking for data using Accurate #5 and 100 grain XTP's.

I will be shooting these in a S&W Model 30.

Thanks!
Old August 17, 2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Sevens

I believe it's going to be difficult to find published load data in .32 S&W Long...using jacketed bullets. This is a very low-pressure, low-speed and, well, antiquated round that was never designed to run jacketed bullets.

If you try to use -ANY- load data that was designed for .32 S&W Long and lead bullets with a modern JHP like the XTP, you run a very good chance of sticking a bullet in your bore.

I would suggest that you find some cast or swaged lead bullets for this application. They'll work great and what's more, they'll cost you a fraction of what the 100gr XTP bullets cost.

The S&W Model 30 is more of a modern revolver and could likely handle a load that was concocted to run speeds in the area of a .32 H&R Magnum and such a load wouldn't be too hard to develop, but I wouldn't be the one offering that load data. You might consider contacting Accurate/Western and see if they have any suggestions.

FWIW, those 100 grain XTP slugs are great bullets. But just for the sake information, I run them in .327 Federal Mag at well over 1,400 FPS at around 40,000 PSI.

The .32 S&W Long on the other hand, runs lead bullets of that weight (actually a bit lighter) around 800 FPS and 15,000 PSI.
Old August 18, 2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Nosparetime

I have an old Colt police positive in 32.. I have a lot of the XTP's on hand. When I tried to load them with any of the published data the XTP's stuck in the barrel every time. I haven't been willing to up the load to make them work in this antique.

I am happy to go ahead and load Lead loads for this gun.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:54 AM   #4
tranders

Looks like I won't be using the XTP's.

Thanks for the great info.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:41 AM   #5
henry-ctc

I´ve developed a load for that same bullet in 85 grains. Never got a squib. I don´t have a chrono so velocity is just a speculation.
I think the 85 grainer is better suited for your gun as it will develope less pressure.
In fact the testing I made on water soaked paper showed no expansion at all and a deeper penetration than HBWC, wich in turn expanded more than expected.
All of my loads are hotter than any published data. That´s why I´ll not suggest you anything. But it´s commonly accepted by those who know more than I do, that load data for 32SW Long is pretty conservative due to the risk posed by the huge ammount of bad quality revolvers in this caliber still around.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:20 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I use the Lee 311-100-2R and 3.0 grains of Unique for my cowboy loads. Bullets are sized .313".
Old August 20, 2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Clark

I have worked up loads for 4 different ~~100 year old Colt 32 S&W revolvers.
I am currently using 85 gr XTPs.
In all 4 revolvers I have blown out the thin forcing cone as soon as I start experimenting. I TIG weld them to repair them, and then they have no other problems.
I have experimentally tried a number of powders in work ups, but found LIL'GUN and 800X to be the best.
The fastest I have got so far is 1413 fps over the chrono. That is some painful recoil with a tiny revolver.

If I were writing a load book you wished you had, it might say:

32 S&W Long
.312, 100, Hornady HP/XTP 32070
small pistol primer
5.0 gr AA#5
1.28" OAL
15,000 psi
S&W 30 2" barrel 840 fps
S&W 30 3" barrel 929 fps
S&W 30 4" barrel 993 fps
S&W 30 6" barrel 1084 fps
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 21, 2012, 09:29 AM   #8
tranders

Great info.

Thanks!