The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 24, 2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Lavid2002

How can I buy a saiga?

Ive heard allot about these. Im really interested...but dont know how to get one. I hear that the parts need to be changed because its illegal...you can do it yourself or send it out blah blah blah...Whats the deal with this? I want a flat top shotgun. I want to use it to skeet shoot and duck hunt....So a flat top would be preffered...but then what am I to do when I use slugs? I have no sights..errr very confusing please help me : D
Thanks-Dave
Old January 24, 2008, 09:36 PM   #2
jaymce

Dave,

First you should ask yourself what you want a shotgun for. The Saiga is an AK on steriods. It rattles, the finish sucks, it has a cheap feel to it. But the thing is unstopable. Run anything you want through it, slugs, shot, in any weather, rain, snow, mud, what ever the Saiga just will not care. Sadly though it does not lend itself well to sporting games IMO. The barrel is much shorter than (by 10+ inches) the barrels on most sporting guns. That is not to say it can not be used in that capacity (taking mine to shoot sporting clays this week) it is just not ideal. Pumps or semis with longer barrels would be prefered and many seem to use o/u. Some have interchangeble barrels and shot barrels can be changed out for slug barrels.

Saigas can be found around on the web although it seems they are haveing problems keeping them in stock so you may have to check the local shows and search. They can be purchsed in standard sporting or converted form.

It is not illegal unless you plan on changing it from the original configuration. If you want to change from a standard stock to a pistol grip you get into the 922r rules and many parts need to be changed out in order to make it legal again. The modification can be done yourself or sent to a specialty shop for conversion. Conversion runs about as much as the shotgun itself.

Go to www.saiga-12.com all the info you could want and more.
Old January 24, 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Boris Bush

The fixed barrel makes it VERY accurate with slugs. I have seen and shot more than a dozen from .410 to 12ga and they all throw slugs unbelieveably tight!
Old January 24, 2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Lavid2002

alright

im no professional competition guy...I want a gun that will work when waterfowling, stand up to rigorous conditions, isnt too heavy, and that has a pistol grip for under 1k
what do you reccomend?
Old January 25, 2008, 04:44 AM   #5
Rigby1962

Didn’t say auto or pump but pistol grips are available for most big name shotguns. You can get an after market pistol grip stock for an 870 or 1187.
Old January 25, 2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Lavid2002

yeah....

but then I basicall have the same shotgun ive always have. Now i have a action very similar to the 870, I want a light pump shotgun with a collapsible stock and pistol grip...does mossberg sell something could convert to this.
Old January 25, 2008, 11:52 AM   #7
PT-92

I'm kind of glad I did not get a Saiga 12 right now. From what I am reading, the mags are distorting the shape of the shells and subsequently creating feed issues. It seems to apply primarily to factory mags at the moment.

I will still get one when they get all of this ironed out.

-Cheers
Old January 25, 2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Smitty in CT

Unfortunately, I think Saigas are classified as an "assault weapon" here in CT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT gun laws, Chapter 943, Sec, 53-202a:
CHAPTER 943
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:
(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:
(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 25, 2008, 03:46 PM   #9
pesta2

Quote:
I want a light pump shotgun with a collapsible stock and pistol grip
You mean like this? From Mossberg’s web site.

Last edited by pesta2; January 29, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old January 25, 2008, 04:12 PM   #10
Lavid2002

beutifull : D

thanks buddy : P
Old January 25, 2008, 05:06 PM   #11
john1911

Quote:
I'm kind of glad I did not get a Saiga 12 right now. From what I am reading, the mags are distorting the shape of the shells and subsequently creating feed issues. It seems to apply primarily to factory mags at the moment.
No problems with my factory mags. The AGP 10 rounders have been accused of distorting shells, I don't leave mine loaded so I don't know.

I really like my Saiga. I bought it for a HD/varmint/"fun" gun. It has some short-comings (like most any other design). The safety position sucks IMO, the "rock and lock" magazine and the 922r headache (if you modify it). OTOH, it feeds whatever I stick in the mag, fieldstrips in seconds, soft recoil and I like the looks.

It wouldn't be my first choice for bird hunting. I prefer a more traditional look and feel for shooting flying critters. I am going to give it a chance with deer next Fall and may use it for turkey this Spring. I think it will excel in these types of hunting situations.

If you are looking for a wing shooting or clays gun, I would look elsewhere. If you want a HD/varmint/"fun" shotgun, the Saiga should work.
Old January 26, 2008, 11:02 AM   #12
rocinante

Quote:
The issue isn't the magazines but leaving them in the gun with the bolt closed pressing down on the first round. Me mine is a range and 3 gun toy but I keep it in the closet with the bolt held open and a magazine near by for HD.
Old January 28, 2008, 03:57 PM   #13
surveyor

Polychoke makes a adjustable choke for the saiga 12, I've got one, and have broke clays with it. haven't patterned it yet with all sizes of shot. as far as slugs, you can get a red dot sight on a rail that gives you the option of bead sight or red dot for slug..

as far as the factory mags yes they will deform the top shell if left loaded on a closed bolt for a while.. either have them open bolt, or download by 1 rd and put a pin in them to press the top shell down.. take the mags out..

for duck hunting you won't be out there with a 8 or 10 rd magazine anyways..
std capacaiy is 5, and you may need to put a plug in them to reduce that..

barrel lengths are 19" 0r 24" with the 19" being produced more..
I saw several on saturday, so they are around. these were 19" 109 models..

the polychoke is either plain, slotted, or at one time were birdcage looking..

all in prefrence to what you want..
nothing wrong with a auto 5, sportsman, 11, 11-48, 11-87, 1100 either..
many waterfowl were taken with those..
Old January 28, 2008, 08:35 PM   #14
M14fan

check out this website. These folks may have some of the answers you seek. http://www.wraithmaker.com