The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 8, 2000, 11:40 PM   #1
shortround73

I purchased a Century Arms .270. I was told that it was a Mauser 98 that had been rebarreled and mounted on a synthetic stock. Looking to find history on this gun ie. country of origin. Are there any specific markings that could tell me this. Also, are their any gunsmiths that specifically customize Mausers. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you. Let me know if pictures are needed.
Old August 9, 2000, 06:13 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Shortround:
Hope this helps:

MAUSER

Model: 98
Designer: Peter & Paul Mauser
Year of Mfg: 1889-1925
Caliber: 7.92mm (8mm) rimmed
Action: Turnbolt
Length:
Barrel Length: 30.67"
Rifle 21.65"

Carbine 15.75"

The M98 was the first highly successful Mauser action designed for a powerful smokeless powder, rimless military cartridge. It was also the first Mauser action designed to load the magazine with a charger, stripper clip,. This action set the general pattern for other Mauser turnbolt rifle actions which followed, with changes and improvements that made Mauser actions a standard throughout the world.

A great many of these rifles were made in the Belgian government arsenal in Liege. Many were also made in Birmingham, England, at a plant set up and operated by Belgian refugees. An American firm, Hopkins & Allen, obtained a contract and made many of these rifles for Belgium prior to WWI.

Mauser action is the basis of design for most every turnbolt rifle in the world today. This includes the military and the civilian model rifles of todays manufacture. During the era most all countries used the Mauser design, to include the United States, who bought patent rights to design the M1903
springfield.

These actions (M1898) are still being manufactured today and there are still some of the old original actions being sold on the civilian market. Many gunsmiths prefer this action, new or old, to build custom rifles in varing calibers to include shotguns.

After WWII restrictions placed on the Germans to, manufacture military rifles. However, they could manufacture sporting rifles and shotguns. This prompted Germany to rebarrel and convert the M1898 Mauser rifle to a two shot shotgun. This shotgun was produced in, 12, 16, and 20 gauge. These shotguns were eventually imported into the US and sold on the open market.
I have personally owned one of these shotguns and found it to make and excellent slug gun.

HJN
Old August 10, 2000, 07:39 PM   #3
shortround73

Thanks Harley, That info helps a bit. Are there specific stampings that would tell me the country of origin. Also, do you know of any gunsmiths that specialize in customizing Mauser rifles.
Old August 11, 2000, 09:07 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Shortround:
If you can describe the proof marks, and any marks on the gun we can probably ans. that questions. The blue book of gun values normally will have the proof marks. it is a good book to have.

As far as a gunsmith, I have been out of it for a long time and don't really know of anyone now. I am sure someone here will be able to help you.

HJN
Old August 11, 2000, 07:16 PM   #5
shortround73

OK Harley im gonna give it my best shot in describing the stampings. Here ya go.

On the underside of the bolt its crudely engraved 1167.

On the bolt release it has a46

On the action it has B 1167 B
Nn

Ok here on the recoil lug 3 o 5 3

and towards the action on the underside the stamps are irradically stamped

E
O
W
y x
V

I hope this didnt confuse you.

Old August 15, 2000, 07:01 PM   #6
shortround73

Harley, where can i find the blue book of gun values. I guess my last post confused you.

[This message has been edited by shortround73 (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old August 16, 2000, 07:02 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Shortround73
They can be found in SGNews and in some of the book stores

HJN
Old August 16, 2000, 07:31 PM   #8
shortround73

Thanks harley. could you describe the difference between the Mauser 98 and FN.

[This message has been edited by shortround73 (edited August 16, 2000).]