The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 17, 2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Kwik2010

Hornady 265 Grain Interlock in Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5"

I'm new to this forum and for that matter forums in general so forgive me if I'm starting a topic that has already been discussed. I have searched the Internet for days and can't quite find an answer specific to my quandary. I was given a box of Hornady 165 grain interlocks. There is load data for them in my Hornady manual in the handgun section but I've been reading a lot about how these particular bullets will not perform at revolver velocities due to it being designed for the 444 Marlin. The load that shoots well is near max load for IMR 4227 with no pressure issues. The real question here is is this bullet going to expand enough to humanely take a deer or similar sized game at close to moderate range (25-75 yards) or should I put these loads aside and try to develop a bullet/powder combination more suitable to a hunting revolver? And if this bullet will not expand at these slower velocities, would it be a suitable last ditch woods/bear defense. I'm not asking if a 44 mag is suitable as a bear deterrent nor do I believe it will work as well as a hard cast lead bullet. I believe in bells, bear spray, rifle, and if all else fails, luck and a handgun. In that order. I just don't want to waste these rounds down range to a piece of paper since I have plenty of 44 special and light mag loads to do this with. I'd rather find a suitable use for these loads since they shoot very accurately. Any experiences/opinions would be appreciated. Thank you for any information you have.
Old August 17, 2016, 11:54 PM   #2
Kwik2010

I think I should have posted this in the reloading section. Hind sight is 20/20.
Old August 18, 2016, 12:10 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Below 1,600 fps, they don't expand much.
Below 1,300 fps, they tend to not expand anything but the exposed lead tip.

They'll still punch a good hole through a deer. But if you want expansion, the 265 FP will disappoint.

However...
Hornady has made a few production runs over the last 15-20 years that only had one of the two cannelures present (I think the last time was in 2014). The bullets with only one cannelure tend to be more fragile and easier to expand.
They still don't do much of anything at 1,300 fps or less, but you can get a little more expansion if run at 1,500 fps or so.
(And they blow to pieces at full .444 Marlin velocities; whereas the double-cannelure version holds together as an 'Interlock' should.)

If I were in your position, I'd be looking for someone that wanted to trade some 225 gr FTXs for your 265 FPs. (225 FTXs, not 265 FTXs)
The 225 FTX will expand at .44 Mag impact velocities.
...Or just run with a cast bullet.
Old August 18, 2016, 12:29 AM   #4
Kwik2010

I will have to find someone else in my short list of friends that uses a 44 caliber rifle. Thanks for the information. The bullets I have are the double cannelure style. I have about 50 loaded so I might as well just shoot em up and start over.

Last edited by Kwik2010; August 18, 2016 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old August 18, 2016, 12:50 AM   #5
Dufus

Back when I started loading the 44 Mag., the heaviest non-premium bullet was the Hornady 265 gr with the single cannelure. That was before they had all the fancy names that are present today.

I loaded & shot 2 boxes of them and recovered quite a few out of my Bentonite that I used for testing.

None (not a single one) of them had any expansion at all. Matter of fact, if pressed hard for bullets, they could have been cleaned and loaded again.

The best one from those days was the Hornady 240 gr. HP. Of course the lead core was pure lead, unlike the core in the 265s.

The 240 HPs would give up to double expansion.

Nowadays, I don't use jacketed bullets in my handguns and have great results with the cast lead.
Old August 18, 2016, 01:05 AM   #6
Kwik2010

Well maybe I'll just take a shot at a deer backed up with a proven load to see what it does. Thank you. I'll try to get it posted in the right section next time.
Old August 18, 2016, 02:06 AM   #7
mete

The large diameter ,44, 45 really don't need expansion .Many have always used a hardcast swc for deer and black bear with no problem. For the most par t my 44 Barnes 225 gr is a one shot kill !
Old August 18, 2016, 09:47 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Its .44 caliber. It doesn't have to expand! Nice if you get it, but not needed. I think about everything that walks in North America has been dropped with a .44/45 SWC cast hard, with no expansion.

I don't think there is a .44 Mag level load that won't go completely through most deer broadside, and some will do it end for end. Don't worry about any lack of power.

Do your part properly, and deer or bear will be "DRT".
Old August 19, 2016, 07:12 AM   #9
Salmoneye

Quote:
Its .44 caliber. It doesn't have to expand!
Exactly why I went to the 265gr FP in the first place...That and the .430" diameter is very accurate in my Marlins and Super Blackhawk...

I learned that I do not want expansion when hunting black bear after serious disappointment with some Winchester White Box 240gr FP...They did exactly as designed and expanded beautifully, but it still took 5 rounds in the chest to stop a medium size boar...All 5 bullets recovered in the chest, but hardly reached the vitals...

The 265gr Hornady gives consistent pass-throughs, with a golf ball size exit...If you happen to hit bone, it smashes through...