The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 23, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Zhillsauditor

Rust blue questions

Am getting ready to start my first rust blue project, but had a couple of questions.

1) I have removed the old blue and gotten rid of the worst of the pitting on the revolver; however, there are still some dark discolorizations on the gun. I sanded it with 320 grit, then 600 grit, and it is smooth as a baby's bottom. Should I try to sand away the remaining "liver spots"? I am trying to take as little metal off as possible.

2) When rust bluing, how do I blue and card inside the frame? Should I blue the inside of the frame at all? I have not removed the old bluing.

Thanks,
Brian
Old November 24, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I would leave the inside alone, assuming you mean the inside that is unseen in the assembled revolver. If you mean inside the visible square of the frame, then degreased steel wool will work.

Without of photo of the discolorations, it's hard to be sure what they are. Oxides come to mind. Be aware that whatever it is may affect the final appearance if you don't remove it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle