The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Balog

Let's say I'm buying a scale

Let's further assume I'm just getting started reloading, am on a budget (who isn't?), want a beam scale, and will be reloading primarily for pistol (.45acp and .38/.357) at first. Would I be better served with...

A Lee Safety Beam: ~$22 at Midway

An old "hydraulically damped" Redding from Ebay, ~$20 including shipping

Or, an RCBS 505 (or 502, not entirely sure what the difference is) which is ~$75 at Midway, maybe ~$50-60ish on ebay with shipping.

Which do you feel would be the best in my situation, and why? Any alternate suggestions, or gems out there I'm missing?
Old January 3, 2010, 04:02 AM   #2
Lost Sheep

Pure opinion, but it's all mine (shared by a few others)

Redding equipment is good stuff, but I know nothing about their hydraulically damped scale. Also, this is a used scale. The quality of the scale will depend a great deal on the bearing surfaces (knife-edge and its mating fulcrum). I don't know if they are replaceable if they are worn, but that would be a consideration for me. I would calculate replacement of those parts into my purchase cost unless some sort of money-back guarantee was available.

I have been using my RCBS 1010 scale for 4 decades. I believe the 505 is not much different. I would still buy that scale over again today.

The Lee scale is inexpensive. It will do the job and if you pay attention, you will see if it ever quits doing the job. Since you are shooting handguns I can see no big drawback with this scale.

There is very little to go wrong with a completely mechanical balance beam scale. The fulcrum, the damping system, air drafts. Gravity has been pretty reliable and consistent over the past few thousands of years. There is nothing else to go wrong with a balance beam scale. If you figure out a system, you can even verify calibration on your own scale to prove out the calibration periodically.

Little here other than opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I think I would go with the RCBS, or the Redding if it checks out mechanically sound (and if I were financially encouraged towards used equipment). The Lee if I were really poor and intolerant of the risk of used equipment (even with the Redding name attached)

Good luck,

Lost Sheep
Old January 3, 2010, 04:13 AM   #3
dmazur

I'd save up just a little more and get the RCBS 1010. The feature I really like is that the scale stores itself. All the pieces fit in the case, lid snaps on, and they don't bump into each other. The critical surfaces are protected.

I looked at the 505 and wondered how I was going to store it without banging it around.

If you have a reloading area where you can just throw a plastic cover over it to protect it from dust and don't ever have to store it, there probably isn't much difference.

Well, the 1010 has a neat rotary weight for 0.1 to 10.0gr instead of the 3rd poise. It might be slightly easier to use, but I'm guessing.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:33 AM   #4
alloy

I scored one of these for 14 bux when I was wondering the same thing. No complaints. Dont know if it's considered a gem but it checks out perfectly with my check weights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hornady-Powder-S...item1e59c6ff9d
Old January 3, 2010, 07:34 AM   #5
RedHawk357

RCBS 1010 & CheckWeights

Save for the RCBS 1010 and a set of Lyman or RCBS CheckWeights. The scale isn't something you want to scrimp on. A good scale and CheckWeights Inspire Confidence. Mine was gotten from Ebay but it took awhile; some bidders lost their mind and some sellers just can't hold a camera steady to save their life
Old January 3, 2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Bigtony

If your on a "budget", go with the RCBS 505. Its never failed me.
Old January 3, 2010, 09:31 AM   #7
BIGR

RCBS 10 10 has served me very well. I still use it along with my RCBS Digital scale when loading, because I think two scales are better than one. Not doubting the accuracy of the digital scale but anything electronic could malfunction.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:27 PM   #8
wncchester

Get any magnetically damped beam scale, any age, any brand, they are all good. (That's NOT so with digitals.) I have a 1010 and love it but, fact is, it's vastly more costly than it need be for reloading uses.

The old oil damped scales were better than undamped but they died a fast death when the mag types came available, and for good reason. Use your beam scale on a shelf at or near eye level, NOT on the bench top (as so many do) where it will be difficult to read.

There is NO valid reason to weigh individual charges for handgun ammo. Use the scale to adjust your powder measure and then drop the charges directly into the cases.

Old January 3, 2010, 02:35 PM   #9
bluetopper

I use a digital "carat scale" I bought on ebay............actually made to weigh precious stones & jewelry. Much less expensive.
Old January 3, 2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Don P

Quote:
Thats' my choice. That's what I have and use, nothing to break, simple, INEXPENSIVE and IT WORKS.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 3, 2010, 04:32 PM   #11
rrp

You can't go wrong with the RCBS products. They are second to none in customer service and their product quality is great. I've been using the same 505 scale for over 30 years with no problems. Just keep a cover over it to keep it clean and you're good to go.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:31 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
The Lee will do fine, unless you need to weigh something over 100 grains. You might have to do this if you run into bullets of unknown weight.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 3, 2010, 07:34 PM   #13
oneounceload

In between the RCBS 505 and the 1010 is the 510 - all made by Ohaus, THE leader in scale mfg. I've had mine for almost 30 years - it has outlasted an electronic scale and always works well
Old January 3, 2010, 07:41 PM   #14
sserdlihc

The Lee for me was hard to read.
Old January 4, 2010, 04:04 PM   #15
Paulym

I'd go with RCBS 1010. I have one mfg by Ohaus purchased in 1970 or 71 and it's still going strong. It has been retired to backup duties to an electronic one but a good purchase I would make again.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:34 PM   #16
wncchester

Thing is, all of RCBS beam scales are made by Ohaus and have been for 40 years or more.

I've NEVER used my 1010's expanded range, above 505 grains, for reloading purposes and the 505 "guts" are basically the same. The 505 would have served me just as well as the 1010 for the last 45 years and the 505 price is much friendlier. (Redding's beam scale seems to be just as good.)
Old January 4, 2010, 07:35 PM   #17
wncchester

Thing is, all of RCBS beam scales are made by Ohaus and have been for 40 years or more.

I've NEVER used my 1010's expanded range, above 505 grains, for reloading purposes and the 505 "guts" are basically the same. Thus, the 505 would have served me just as well as the 1010 for the last 45 years and the 505's price is much friendlier. (Redding's beam scale seems to be just as good.)
Old January 4, 2010, 09:35 PM   #18
Sky Master

I've been using a RCBS 510 for over 30yrs. I just love that rotary adjustment that goes from .1 to 10.0 gr.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:44 PM   #19
Leadman

Don't hold yourself to "reloading scales" look at scales galore, pick your price and buy. Myself accuracy was more important than cost. 230 bucks later and my groups shrunk in half. .308 rifle. the scale I chose was acculabs vicon123. Check out the site they may have something in your price range or a little more.
Old January 20, 2010, 08:12 AM   #20
rbernie

I've used a Lee for several decades with no issues and no reason to regret the purchase. It works great for powder, but (since it only goes up to 100 grains) it doesn't work well for weighing heavier things like cast bullets or shot loads.