The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Help With Flashlight Bulb Change

A couple of months ago, I was wandering through Cabella's bargain cave and spotted a neat little flashlight. It's a Cabella's Alaskan Guide that appears to be a Surefire wannabe, and has 3 red LED's and a 6V Xenon bulb. The price was right so I bought it on a whim. It actually turned out to be a decent little flashlight.

Well, CR123A batteries are so darned expensive that I bought a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger. It turns out the batteries are too hot (3.7V each) and they blew the bulb.

No problem, I have spare bulbs, so I set about replacing the bulb, and... what the heck? Darned if I can get the old bulb out!

So, rather than ruin this thing, I thought it better to check with TFL's flashlight gurus .

Here's some pictures of the assembly. It appears that it may seperate just above the red band, but I figure there must be leads going from the lower section to the LED's in the upper section, and I don't want to break those.

So, any ideas?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg flashlight 1.jpg (209.8 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg flashlight 2.jpg (196.6 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg flashlight 3.jpg (189.6 KB, 255 views)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 12, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
armsmaster270

Your pics didn't come through a lot of those small lights have the bulb & reflector as a single unit Also check the surefire web site or a police supply store you can get a dozen 123 batteries for 18-20 bucks
Old December 12, 2008, 01:48 PM   #3
fisherman66

Try the candlepower forum. Those the the geekiest engineers ever. It they can't solve your problem, then it can't be solved.
Old December 12, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Your pics didn't come through...
Thanks, fixed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 12, 2008, 02:04 PM   #5
ZeSpectre

Cabela's Alaskan Guide Flashlights
Quote:
The 2-in-1 prefocus aluminum reflector intensifies the brightness of the light beam creating more useful light at longer distances.
In flashlight speak, "Pre-Focused" usually means "permanently mounted".

Looks like the entire assembly can be ordered here for $20
Old December 12, 2008, 02:05 PM   #6
armsmaster270

Yep that is one assembly you gotta replace the whole thing it even looks like a surefire bulb with cabellas name on it and I lied the 12 pack of batteries is 21 bucks at http://www.surefire.com/12-Pack-Batteries
Old December 13, 2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys! Without you, I probably would've done major surgery and killed the patient .

I ordered both the assembly and the batteries.

Quote:
Yep that is one assembly you gotta replace the whole thing
That's probably why it was in the bargain cave .

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 13, 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
bedlamite

Batteries are a buck a piece here, less if you buy in bulk
Old December 16, 2008, 10:29 PM   #9
revance

You might check dealextreme for a replacement drop-in. That looks like the standard "surefire knock off" drop-in. You have several options; you can look for one just like that, replace it with a regular multi-output single LED, or see if you are lucky enough for them to make the same thing with an LED instead of xenon. The advantage of the LED primary is that most have a voltage range that allow the use of RCR123s like you tried. They also use less power.