The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 3, 2014, 09:57 AM   #1
odugrad

Parts interchangability

I'm still learning about rifles and possibly building one.

I have a question about lower receivers. Can you take a mid-length upper or a carbine-length upper and use it on the same lower receiver?

Can you also use any bolt carrier group for a carbine-length or mid-length rifle?

I'm assuming so because the only change is in the length of the gas tube, correct?

Last edited by odugrad; January 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Quentin2

The answer is yes in most cases. However there always are exceptions, especially when using light loaded ammunition. You might have to make a buffer swap for 100% reliability.

Really you would have to try it and see if it works with your equipment.

A lot of folks use multiple uppers on the same lower, most times it works fine.
Old January 3, 2014, 01:11 PM   #3
odugrad

I know the H buffer is kind of the universal one. Are there better/more efficient buffers?
Old January 3, 2014, 01:30 PM   #4
CTS

H buffer really is not the standard. The standard is a standard mil spec (weight) buffer. The H buffer (and H2 or H3) is a heavy buffer used for solving some problems you may have. There is really no way to know what buffer will work best till you try one and see. The standard carbine (or rifle, depending on which you are building) buffer is the cheapest and usually the best place to start. No need changing it if everything is working properly. BCM standard buffer $11, H buffer $22. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by CTS; January 3, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:03 PM   #5
semi_problomatic

There are differences in bolts, as well. You have full-auto bolts, non milspec bolts, supertitaniumunobtanium bolts coated by nano technolodgy. I think the best way around all that is an adjustable gas system.

Oh, and generally not a good idea to swap bolts between rifles. Not unless the use protection...

And if your uppers had an adjustable gas system you could tune your upper to your lower...
Old January 3, 2014, 02:40 PM   #6
odugrad

Would a BCM bold carrier group be compatible with a Daniel Defense rifle and vice versa?
Old January 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #7
semi_problomatic

Yeah. Just a full auto bolt with a heavy spring and buffer is bad juju unless you're running suppressed. They'd fit, just be way to heavy for that application.

My rifle is a spikes tactical lower, with a stag lpk, gieselle sd3 trigger, LMT BCG with the bolt that was headspaced to my barrel, ergo grip, magpul crt stock, rainier arms upper, superior barrels nitrided barrel, seekins precision forearm, pws enhanced buffertube, hogan sights and comp.... And some no name standard milspec buffer, spring, and charging handle... It all works fine together.