The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2002, 04:05 PM   #1
dwesson445

7.62x39mm wildcats

I'm looking for any information on wildcats based on the 7.62x39mm cartridge, particularly 6 or 6.5mm. Does anyone know of any? Thanks.
Old November 23, 2002, 09:01 PM   #2
Rugerfan

The 6mm PPC is basically a necked down 7.62x39 (or necked up .220 Russian). As you know, the 6mm PPC is extremely accurate. I'll bet a 6.5mm version would fare very well also.

6mm PPC velocity with the 90 grain bullet is only some 100 to 150 fps less than the .243 Win.

Note that bench rest rifle barrels for 6mm PPC usually come with a 1-14 inch twist and will not stabilize bullets heavier than 70 grains. A hunting rifle will need at least a 1-12 inch twist to stabilize 90 grain spitzer bullets. Also note that custom made bench rest rifles usually require that case necks be outside turned to precisely match their very tight chamber dimension; this is not necessary when reloading for hunting rifles with chambers of standard dimension.
Old November 23, 2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Gewehr98

I've seen the 6.5x39 wildcat pop up a few times.

It was chambered in silhouette handguns for IHMSA competitions. I fired one built on a MOA Maximum single-shot pistol, and a Thompson Contender with SSK barrel. The owner had no problem at all knocking over the 200 meter steel rams, and they weigh 50 pounds...

Neural Misfires
Old November 25, 2002, 12:16 PM   #4
Bogie

If you're gonna go to the trouble to do a wildcat based on the .220 Russian case (which the 7.62x39 is), use .220 Russian case to start with. Necking down the 7.62x39 brass will likely give you some serious headaches...

Personally, for a varmint/plinking/whatever rifle, I'd go with the 6BR.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!