The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2013, 06:44 AM   #26
vba

I've got the Remington Express Tactical, the one with the ghost ring sights and stupid breecher choke. I ditched the breecher and replaced it with an IC choke.

It's been reliable and accurate for me in the year I've owned it. It feeds everything I've put thru, though I've not put any cheap Walmart stuff that people complain about.

I love the shotgun and have got no complaints.
Old June 17, 2013, 04:40 AM   #27
Waspinator

I bought a Mossberg 500 home defense/ field combo shotgun when I was looking. It came with a 18.5" heavy barrel and a 28" ribbed/ported sports barrel. I think it was around $300 on sale from Cabelas. I figured it was a nice set-up that gave me options. I'm glad I did, because I have used the longer barrel at the shotgun field with friends.

My intentions was to put an AR type collapsible stock on it... until I tried a coworker's shotgun with that style stock. I did not like it at all, made my wrist hurt and when firing it would slap my cheek something awful.

So, instead, I changed out the stock for a Hogue over-molded rubber stock/forend (I like the feel way better then the ones that came with the gun). I put on a mag-tube tri-rail, attached a $25 NcStar light and a cuff on the butt stock. That is about as "tactical" as I'm going with it.

Check out the combos, I think they are great values.
Old June 17, 2013, 08:12 AM   #28
WV_gunner

What makes a shotgun a tactical shotgun?
Black plastic? Higher than usual capacity that's really not needed? Ways to add, for the most part, pointless acceceries?
Is this for home defense? Or just something to cover in stuff and try to show off?

A functioning gun will work just fine. Doesn't matter as long as it works properly. Single shots are probably something you'd want to avoid for home defense. Double barrels are kinda iffy I'd say. I use one though. I use a Stoeger Condor, a Supreme would be better since they have ejectors instead of extracters. Plan on switching to a Mossberg 500. I put a tac star side saddle on it and it has a factory set of rifle sights. It has wood stock too. Only reason I have it is because of the $125 price and it wasnt even the Walmart version. Just look for a functioning gun that isn't cheaply made. Then practice alot.

Last edited by WV_gunner; June 17, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old June 17, 2013, 11:08 PM   #29
jackpine

skip the useless add ons and get a standard remington 870, add a flashlight and a side saddle and you can spend the rest of the money on a training class
Old June 18, 2013, 01:26 AM   #30
JD0x0

I really like the Saiga 12.

Tactical enough, with it's quick changing 6-12 round box mag, or 20+ round drum. Semi auto (or full auto if you can legally obtain one) and chrome lined barrel for less frequent, and easier cleaning. Reasonably priced, for what you get. And legendary AK reliability.
Old June 18, 2013, 01:40 AM   #31
allaroundhunter

Re: Tactical shotgun recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD0x0 View Post

Tactical enough, with it's quick changing 6-12 round box mag, or 20+ round drum. Semi auto (or full auto if you can legally obtain one) and chrome lined barrel for less frequent, and easier cleaning. Reasonably priced, for what you get. And legendary AK reliability.
Except they don't have the legendary AK reliability. While the AK is reliable, trying to transition that platform over to a shotgun round is not cut and dry. They are not nearly as reliable as an AK. Add to that the fact that you have a huge magazine to get caught up on things, and if you have a malfunction you better somehow be carrying another large mag which is hard to do in an HD scenario. If you go through the shortcomings of the platform then you quickly realize how unsuited for defense these guns are...
Old June 18, 2013, 12:53 PM   #32
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD0x0 View Post

Except they don't have the legendary AK reliability. While the AK is reliable, trying to transition that platform over to a shotgun round is not cut and dry. They are not nearly as reliable as an AK. Add to that the fact that you have a huge magazine to get caught up on things, and if you have a malfunction you better somehow be carrying another large mag which is hard to do in an HD scenario. If you go through the shortcomings of the platform then you quickly realize how unsuited for defense these guns are...
Very yes. I think a Saiga 12 would be fun for playing around at the range, but I'll take a stock 590A1 over a Saiga 12 any day.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:23 PM   #33
Jim243

Kiss is a good idea, this came with the top rail, took off the ghost ring and replaced it with a red dot co-witnessed to the front fiber optic sight, added a gun light and a slip on recoil paid for additional length of pull (too short stock made for someone wearing a vest.)

Separate bandoleer holds another 25 shells of 000 buckshot.

Jim

This is not a hunting shotgun.

Old August 5, 2013, 01:04 PM   #34
KCRaider21

Sorry I havn't responded sooner. I kind of forgot about this thread after a while and didn't see so many responses until just now. My main purpose would just be practical home defense. I'm not looking for a bunch of add on's but it would be nice to have a rail or two if I decided on a light or dot sight down the road. Of course it's always nice to have a cool looking gun, but I'm not really looking to break the bank. Maybe between the $300-$400 range. I like the suggestion of the Winchester 1300.
Old August 5, 2013, 02:16 PM   #35
MJFlores

This is just my opinion, but I think Winchester makes the best pump gun on the market and always has. They have the smoothest, fastest action and their trigger in IN FRONT of the trigger guard right where it should be. Your index finger rests right on the safety very naturally and in one smooth action the safety is off and you're on the trigger ready to start work. The same goes for conventional stock or pistol grip configuration (just try that with a mossberg and a pistol grip...if you ask me thats a big joke). I've personally put thousands of rounds through a model 120 Winchester pump and a 1300 Winchester pump and have never experienced a failure ever, and don't expect I ever will. Try one and you'll see what I mean.
Old August 5, 2013, 03:51 PM   #36
dwaawd

^^^ I agree on the 1300. Got my first Defender in 1983 and it's still going strong, with never a repair, part replacement or problem with any load.
Old August 13, 2013, 02:03 PM   #37
ZVP

unctional, functional, functional!

The #1 requirement.
I bought a "dealer" Mossberg 500 for a HD gun project the gun came out perfectlly, save one important part, it dosen't function reliably! Intermittentlly it feeds 2 shells and one falls out the bottom!
No good!
I think it;s the magazine shell keeper rod. Just worn out on an old gun, But for the $100 I spent on the gun, another 70 or so to fiz it thru a gunsmith, I'd have been better off buying a higher priced, newer gun in the first place!
It pays not to be cheap!
Some day I will learn...
BPDave
Old August 13, 2013, 02:29 PM   #38
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Worn parts on a used gun... That is what we call caveat emptor... (to the buyer beware)...

If it was a new gun, mossberg would fix it free...
And only the grigger group assembly should be left alone by end user....

I would field strip it, and unscrew the shell keeper bars (can't unscrew them for cleaning from Remintons and a few others...

After the gunk is 100% out, it may function function function flawlessly...

Heck mossberg is kniwn to just mail out replacement parts for you to swap...

Brent